Jan 17, 2013, 08:48 PM

48" Yak flight envelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz
I'm really curious as to how the yak flies.
Precise as the 48" Extra but with a faster and more axial roll - I was thinking about getting a 48" Extra EXP based on Doc's recommendation, but now the 48" Yak is at the top of my list. Chris just keeps improving all of his airframes!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2013, 09:01 PM
Volts>amps
The airframes improve every time thats why I kinda chuckled to myself seeing everyone rave about the 64" mxs.

Wait till they try the 60" laser

I got the laser on a whim and the hype from doc A, didn't really want it but the more I flew it the more I liked it and sure enough I had a hundred flights in about a month.

I guess thats why the yak intrigues me, the airframes just get better so it will be curious to see how it flies compared to the laser.
Jan 17, 2013, 09:06 PM
Сделайте Америку Великой Снова
I don't have the laser, but he 48" MXS is a lot of fun, most fun per dollar for my taste once it's built. The 64" MXS is better in absolute terms and is easier to see (yellow) in a wider variety of lighting conditions. The 64" MXS also has my favorite new features, incorporating new features I haven't seen on other EF planes. I like the plastic wing tube sleeves and the recessed wing mounts, and the way the racing wing tips were designed for ease of installation. Hope to see these types of thoughtful features on other planes, unless EF or customers determines they aren't worth it..
Jan 17, 2013, 09:14 PM
Couldn't think of a better thread to make my 10,000th post than the EF Owners thread.

I really enjoyed listening to the pod cast and hearing Chris talk about how he got started in the hobby. It brought back memories for me and when I first got started. My first plane was a Cox Corsair control line plane, I loved that plane and got so dizzy flying that thing around in circles. I was in the 4-H Club and I did a "Show and Tell" about glow engines and I still have the certificate I got for that presentation. When I was 17 I built a high wing trainer and, with the help of club instructor, I got to experience the joy of flying something I built from a box of sticks. I never got to "solo" because the club eventually lost it's field so I sold the plane and bought a big glow helicopter. At the time buying that heli made since because I thought I could fly it in my back yard and how hard could it be to fly a heli. Well that Heli lasted all of 10 minutes and so I was out of the hobby.

As an adult I always wanted to get back into the hobby but it wasn't until 7 years ago when I moved into my current house and saw my neighbor flying a "Pico Tiger Moth" in his back yard that I decided to act on my desire to really learn how to fly RC airplanes. My neighbor told me about a website called "RCGroups.com" and so I began my research. I started with a Slow Stick - then for my second plane I built a Molt Models Tyro kit which brought back memories. I think my 3rd plane was the Extreme Flight Yak but at t the time I wasn't really into 3D and struggled with the Yak so I got the EF Vanquish. When I saw people flying 3D for the first time I remember telling a friend "Why would someone want to fly a plane like that? It's not right - that's not how planes fly - I would NEVER want to fly that way". I've been eating those words for 7 years.

This hobby means different things to different people - for me "It's just a hobby" - "An activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure". Building and Flying these silly RC planes is how I relax, wind down, and relieve stress. I'm also someone who likes to set goals, I'm a "Goal Junkie" so being able to set a goal to learn a new maneuver and eventually accomplish that goal is AWESOME!!! This hobby has brought many new friends into my life, these are friendships that I hope to keep for a lifetime and value very much.

Friends, joy, relaxation, reaching goals - that's what the hobby means to me - what does this hobby mean to you?

MLT
Jan 17, 2013, 09:17 PM
OOPS
^^ well said buddy.
Jan 17, 2013, 09:27 PM

Well put!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67
Friends, joy, relaxation, reaching goals - that's what the hobby means to me - what does this hobby mean to you?MLT
+1 Fine reasons to be in this hobby!
Jan 17, 2013, 09:34 PM
Shut up and Fly!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingin' Wayne
My name's Wayne and I'm a new Extreme Flight convert. Not a convert really. Always knew they were good planes, even without flying them. My 48" Edge is a beast! Sorry I waited so long to try E/F! Already looking to go bigger. A couple of my buds fly 60 inchers. That looks like a nice series of planes too. This is like finding more presents under the tree. I doubt I can say anything that hasn't been said. Great company making a great plane!
Wait til you try the 48" MXS. It's just plane awesome!!
Jan 17, 2013, 10:02 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67
Friends, joy, relaxation, reaching goals - that's what the hobby means to me - what does this hobby mean to you?

MLT
A lot of the same, here. Probably more heavy on the Friends and relaxation side.
Anybody who has been around me much knows I have practically as much fun just hangin' out, shootin' the breeze
and watching other people fly, helping folks resolve issues, etc... as I do actually flying my own planes.

Oh, I love flying RC, Sure... and I have goals, but I'm realistic and don't push myself very hard.
If I can pull off something that vaguely resembles the maneuver I intended to do, at least 75% of the time, I'm pretty happy

I get enough of hard deadlines, attention to detail, and hitting target dates at work to not obsess too much at the flying field.

I'm out there to escape work for a bit, relax and have fun with friends
Jan 17, 2013, 10:18 PM
Nice, MLT... and you missed having your 10,000th post be the 15,000th post on this thread by only 4....

But well said and you're a worthy contributor.
Jan 17, 2013, 10:34 PM
Congrats MLT... lotta typin.
Jan 17, 2013, 10:56 PM
The wind caused that!!
after having a couple back surgeries most of my hobbies were taken away from me. i've always had a love for planes, so this hobby was "just what the doctor ordered".

i have more fun helping my buddies, watching them fly, and fixing/building than actually flying. but as i'm getting better at it, the fun of flying is becoming greater. sometimes i go to the field and the pain is to much for me to concentrate on flying. the medications cause me to have eye problems and this really distracts me from being up in the air. during these days, i just watch and try to help the other guys.

i've found that the rc plane hobby has some of the nicest and most helpful people in it, the only better is the aircooled vw crowd. some of my other hobbies were filled with guys that were worried more about the cost of the equipment they had than actually being good at the hobby itself.
Jan 17, 2013, 11:09 PM
Volts>amps
I have to re-hinge my rudder of my extra.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXM379&P=ML

Can I just use this stuff, pull the hinge out and place a new CA hinge in? I've run out of room on the bottom of the rudder as this is the second hinge pullout. Second time I was able to put a new hinge on the bottom spot. In all my time flying I've never had to rehinge something.
Jan 17, 2013, 11:38 PM
inverted-i-fly
No, wood will probably not take CA anymore, cut the rudder off and re-hinge with pin hinges
Jan 17, 2013, 11:38 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
That looks like the best stuff- highly recommended in here via other people.
Jan 17, 2013, 11:45 PM
nvm
Last edited by DonEmmel; Jan 17, 2013 at 11:52 PM.

Quick Reply