New Years Day X5J eXtreme 2011 - RC Groups
Dec 21, 2010, 11:42 AM
AZ Outback
Discussion

New Years Day X5J eXtreme 2011

Welcome back for a eighth year to X5J eXtreme.

News: Same rules as 2010 except SOR rounds have been reduced to 5 minutes

To enter, please post to this thread your ship and power train information, before the days of the contest. During the day of the contest post your scores.
You may fly any or all of the classes below. In general, all classes use flight time - motor time and up to 30 points for landing.

The goal has been to minimize the rules to stress a Unlimited nature for these events, so everyone with an electric sailplane will have an airframe and motor that will meet the rule requirements.

TASK: Fly three 10minutes rounds unlimited and 5 minute rounds in SOR, using only thermal updrafts with an electric motor powered sailplane.

X5J eXtreme UNLIMITED rules:
1. Any airframe, motor, battery, ESC, and prop maybe used.
2. Flight time has motor run time subtracted from it.
3. 30point landing tape, in 1 meter increments worth 3pts/m

X5J eXtreme SOR rules:

1. Any airframe, battery, ESC, prop, motor with 28mm diameter and 17mm
magnet bell length or less.
2. Flight time has motor run time subtracted from it.
3. 30 point landing tape, in 1 meter increments worth 3 pts/m.

General Rules:

1. Any part of the airframe maybe used to determine max. landing points.
2. Round motor and flight times to closest second.
3. Motor must be running at launch.
4. Each second of flight time is one point, seconds greater than 10minutes are subtracted.
5. First and additional motor runs, one point per second, loss of landing points on second motor run.

Hope you can joins us for the fun.

The Best Soaring

Robert
Last edited by Robert Burson; Dec 21, 2010 at 11:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2010, 01:44 PM
The Detritus of Rcgroups
I'm in! I really like the 5 minute SOR class time reduction. It fits closer to the flight task of another event I fly and helps me when I can't fit in the 1 hour or so it takes to fly 3 10 minute flights and recharge before flight 2 and 3.

I'm in again! In SOR either Allegro Lite with a20-20, 11x8 folder, and 3s lipo or my cdrom glider with a 6x3 folder, 3s lipo, and my custom wound cdrom motor.

I might do unlimited class. If so I'll use either Allegro or e Paragon with 16x8 folder, geared astro 035, and probably 8 nicd.

Ryan
Dec 22, 2010, 09:44 AM
Apologies for the stupid question, but how is the 'magnet bell length' measured? Is that based on the can length, or do you need to take the motor apart if that dimension isn't supplied by the manufacturer.

Likely to fly an e-Allegro in SOR (depending on the answer to my question), or unlimited or both.

Ryan, too bad we are so far apart on New Year's day - would love to get the Allegros together.

Dion
Dec 22, 2010, 10:01 AM
AZ Outback
Hi Doin,

In the picture of the Hacker outrunner the purple section is the length to measure, some bells have different ends but no magnets in the shape. Hope this helps.

Robert
Dec 22, 2010, 10:03 AM
The Detritus of Rcgroups
I think the outrunner in your allegro is not sor legal. I think Robert based those rules on the new Mexico outrunner class and the a20 motor is just under the size limit and the stator on your motor is about 5 mm longer than the a20

But hopefully Robert will chime in and let us know for sure.
Dec 22, 2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks Robert and Ryan. That's the measurement I was assuming, and Ryan you are correct none of my motors are that small in stator length.

Unlimited it is.

Dion
Dec 22, 2010, 12:51 PM
The Detritus of Rcgroups
Quote:
Originally Posted by dion9146
That's the measurement I was assuming, and Ryan you are correct none of my motors are that small in stator length.
Those specs were first put together by the New Mexico group as a kind of alternitive to the (then popular) Speed 400 class. Speed 400 was a relatively inexepensive class (small models ) at the time, with a good gearbox, speed 400 motor, and ESC could be purchased for about $100. In those days that was a cheap electric glider setup. About 2006 or so the outrunners came on the scene and guys learned that the Hacker A20 and 20 amp speed controller cost about $100. The climb peformance in a speed 400 plane for that drop in motor was about 50% better. So the SOR class was formed to kind of be a replacement for speed 400.

Now of course we have tons of outrunners way cheaper than that stuff and you can outrunner power a Bubble Dancer for what once cost to do a speed 400 plane.

Ryan
Dec 22, 2010, 04:52 PM
Count me in for the 8th year kickoff, regardless of the flying conditions!

As usual, I'll fly an Art Hobby plane in the range from 1.9 - 3.1 M, depending on conditions. Most options have a direct-drive, brushless inrunner power system, and a 3S lipo pack. The 3.1 M runs with an outrunner (35 mm diameter). All planes thus fall into the “Unlimited” class.

FF
Dec 23, 2010, 05:55 AM
turn, turn, turn.
The long range forecast for New Years day is sunny, calm, and cold.

Count me in as well with my usual Topaz S.

I may get a larger battery....who knows?....That may mean a larger esc as well.
Right now, I have a Neu 1509 1D and Jeti opt 77.

I may move to a 4s lipo and CC 125 esc.
I'll keep the prop the same....a RFM 17x16 slim.
Dec 23, 2010, 06:12 AM
Count me in too. New Years day is rarely good around here, but you never know. I'll be flying my usual HiAspect 3.1E in the Unlimited class. My fingers are crossed for nice weather.
Happy Holidays and good lift to all!
-Eric
Dec 23, 2010, 10:55 AM
since im new and havent done one of these.
i assume my radian or radian pro will be in the unlimitied class ?
can i change planes between flights ?
So i do a 30 second motor run ? Shut motor off fly around and land after ten minutes ? getting as close to the line as possible ?

I do this all the time with the radians. just want to make sure im understanding.
also how many people do i have to have to certify my times ?
Dec 23, 2010, 11:09 AM
The Detritus of Rcgroups
Robert will probably chime in with his thoughts, but here are my reads from doing this for 6 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazykayak75
i assume my radian or radian pro will be in the unlimitied class ?
I am pretty sure that motor is too big for SOR class. You can measure it or post a photo and that would let us know for sure.

Quote:
can i change planes between flights ?
That is my understanding.

Quote:
So i do a 30 second motor run ? Shut motor off fly around and land after ten minutes ? getting as close to the line as possible ?
That is more or less the goal. The goal is to run the motor as little as possible, fly 10 minutes exactly, and land as close to the spot as possible. You can restart your motor as much as you want (you need to keep track of total seconds of motor run though) but if you restart the motor you don't get any landing points bonus.

Quote:
also how many people do i have to have to certify my times ?
This is an honor based system, so you can have as few or as many witnesses as you like.

Ryan
Dec 23, 2010, 10:58 PM
I'll do my best to participate. Weather can go either way here in Mississippi. I'll be flying a stock Radian.

-Matthew
Dec 29, 2010, 07:18 PM

Count on me please

I'm in. Unlimited class.

Pulsar3200
MVVS 46 Sport
ESC 80A Hobbyking
2650mAH-3S
14x8

Regards, Javier.
Dec 29, 2010, 07:20 PM
They are calling for 20-30 mph so if I have to fly sat I'm out.....

Quick Reply