Dec 21, 2010, 08:06 AM
Foam alone.
Discussion

Micro EPP Afriel for 4Site Gear

Having built and flown Kev's Micro Index, which has turned out to be a great success: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...336285&page=14 I've decided to build my own plane for the 4Site gear. This time though - and with the kind permission of Andy Whitehead at Angelwing Designs - I'm going to try something different, a micro Afriel from 3mm EPP. Paint job is very simple, to keep the weight down. Hinges are POR.

Gary
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2010, 09:10 AM
Foam alone.
Seeing as there have been quite a few questions on the construction of Kev's Micro Index, I figured it might be helpful to do a build thread on the Afriel, rather than just pics of the finished plane and a flight report. I've built numerous aiframes from 6 and 8mm EPP, but this will be my first attempt using a thinner material, so will bit of a learning curve for me. I'm also planning a micro F3P practice plane using the depron skeleton/mylar method, which I'll also do a build thread on here. Anyway, on with the this one first:

After the airframe is cut and painted, the next step was to install the 3 x 0.13mm CF spar. This is best done by joining each wing half individually on a flat surface, using thinly applied POR. Then, while the whole thing is nice and flat and weighted down with coins, the bottom half of the fuz could be attached, followed by the wing X frame and fuselage lacing, all from 0.5mm CF rod.
Dec 21, 2010, 09:26 AM
Foam's Law
Love the recycled use of 4Site material for the wing bracing

For those who can't work out the bracing from the photo, Gaz does X bracing which is tied together at the intersection. A piece of 2mm 4Site material is then added as both a side-force generator and also additional support for the 0.5mm brace.

Kev
Last edited by Davross; Dec 21, 2010 at 09:32 AM.
Dec 21, 2010, 10:42 AM
Foam alone.
Cheers Kev

To attach the cf wing bracing to the epp, I used Hobbyking extension tips http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8463 to apply small amounts of normal cyno and foam safe for the depron/cf intersections.
Dec 21, 2010, 11:14 AM
Do you know what density that 3 mm EPP is?

P.S., with 3 mm, that oil cooler/air intake at the bottom of the nose isn't going to last long!!
Dec 21, 2010, 11:53 AM
Foam alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Jim
Do you know what density that 3 mm EPP is?

P.S., with 3 mm, that oil cooler/air intake at the bottom of the nose isn't going to last long!!
Will if you hand catch it
Dec 21, 2010, 12:02 PM
Foam alone.
Aileron servos and brick fitted using POR. The good news is, the POR hinges work great, with no binding

I've noticed in the past, that because EPP is quite porous it can soak up the glue, leading to a dry joint. One trick to overcome this, is to prime the gluing surface with a small amount of POR, leave it to dry, then apply more over the top. This method also works well when attaching self adhesives like Velcro to EPP.
Dec 21, 2010, 12:13 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
great tips

I'll be following closely

Thanks
Dec 21, 2010, 12:39 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Looks really nice still Looking forward to a vid. I am using the carbon for a simlar brace on my yak...wish i could find that strong and small of mm in the store..but most of it in the LHS that size breaks like a lead for a pencil
Dec 21, 2010, 01:24 PM
Foam alone.
Cheers for the compliments guys

The gearbox/motor mount is a fairly chunky afair, but by removing some of the webbing, a bit of filing and junking the rubber spinner, I've managed to save over a gram, which is a substantial amount on a 30grm airframe.
Dec 21, 2010, 01:29 PM
2 seconds from crashing
I forgot what is the span again, is it 20"
Dec 21, 2010, 01:45 PM
Foam alone.
Indoorheli,

Span is 515mm - not sure what that is in inches?

Almost finished, just the rudder linkage to hook up and a bit of tidying and she's ready for a test flight in Kev's lounge
Dec 21, 2010, 01:56 PM
2 seconds from crashing
ok just over 20"...sure wish we used metric here.....
That looks awesome what did the AUW end up at?
You ended up doing almost everything i have changed to my yak to be more accurate-
YOU SHOULD HAVE A REALLY SWEET FLYER THERE!!
Dec 21, 2010, 02:03 PM
Inspired by the wings of an An
Here's a couple of Videos to wet the appetite.

First is the Micro Afriel 560mm and 65g Weight

Second is My Original Nano Afriel 395mm Span with an AP03 Brushless BA2.5 on Ailerons and Vapor Electronics all up weight of 25.4g

AWDesigns Micro Afriel (3 min 33 sec)

Micro 3D EPP Shockflier (2 min 56 sec)
Dec 21, 2010, 02:25 PM
AMA 73386
good work. I was looking at getting a 4site just for the gear, then adapting to other small planes.

Is there any other BNF plane that comes with a similar 4 ch radio gear and engine/esc/batt combo as the 4site, that might be better or more bang for the buck?

Quick Reply