Jul 22, 2003, 12:17 AM
"Superior Air Power"

Wasp maX build, pre production kit.

Ok, I've started the Wasp maX. Who needs prints when a kit is designed this well?! Tail feathers in 15 min!

Dave has done it again!
Excellent!

John
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2003, 12:23 AM
"Superior Air Power"
This might go kinda slow. I have family, work and other planes to fly (not always in that order!) so I build when I have time.

I must say Dave's kits are designed to go together fast though!
Covering is the slowest, figuring color scheme and appliction always gets me. I orderd 5 rolls of Solite so this will be my first experience with this highly praised material.

John
Last edited by War Bird Radio; Jul 22, 2003 at 02:28 PM.
Jul 22, 2003, 12:25 AM
John,

What kind of board are you building on? It looks like hard, yet you can stick pins into it.

Thanks,
David
Jul 22, 2003, 08:37 AM
"Superior Air Power"
It's an old student drafting board Dave. Remember waaay back when we used to use paper, pencils and T squares?

Yeah, it's soft enough to put pins in and they stick real good.
Last edited by War Bird Radio; Jul 22, 2003 at 10:02 PM.
Jul 22, 2003, 10:01 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Wasp max fuselage.
Things are moving along pretty fast.
Jul 24, 2003, 12:03 AM
"Superior Air Power"
Wasp maX wing and ailerons.

Even though the instructions show a differnt aileron configuration just a few minutes studing the supplied parts and they fell together.

Solite showed up today, boy those at Balsa Products are fast!
Will pick up radio gear tomorrow at my LHS.

Build is going faster then I expected.

John
Jul 24, 2003, 09:47 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Nice work John, looks like it's coming right along. The regular Wasp is a very quick build too. What motor & batts are you planning on running?
Jul 24, 2003, 11:29 AM
John, I added 1/8" square pieces of balsa to each of the corners in the pockets cut in the aileron leading edge. When the bevels on the leading edge are sanded the corners come very close to the surface so the extra reinforcement helps strengthen that area. As you mentioned the design has been changed since the release of those kits. It now has the same construction that I developed for the Axon. If you'd prefer the new design let me know and I'll send you the profiles for the new pieces.

D
Jul 24, 2003, 12:21 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Tres,
Will be driving the Wasp maX with a 14T A-010 on 3s1p HD 1200mah LiPo.
Yeah, it's moving right along. Haveing built the original Wasp makes the maX easier. Same type of construction

Dave,
I'm happy with the ailerons as is. Should not be a prob. Will use CA hinges on all control surfaces.

John
Jul 24, 2003, 08:41 PM
"Superior Air Power"
David,

I didn't understand what you ment about the 1/8" pieces you put in the corners till I was able to see the ailerons again. I was at work when I first read your post.

In the photo I attached, do you mean the corners the arrows are pointing into and running parallel to the leading edge as the other arrows indicate? When sanded down to a curved shape it would add strength to the leading edge.

John
Jul 24, 2003, 09:47 PM
John,

Nope, if you add them there they will sanded away completely when beveling the LE. I refereeing to the pockets cut on the inside of the LE.....

David
Jul 25, 2003, 01:04 AM
"Superior Air Power"
Ok, I may be slow but I get there!

You mean these pockets, right!

John
Jul 25, 2003, 01:15 AM
Yes, that's it....

D
Jul 29, 2003, 09:12 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Ok, got everything built but it's too darn hot here to do any sanding (100 degrees today!). I have to do it in the garage or outside, my wife really gets after me if I sand in the house. "Oh look dear, I can write my name on the coffee table!"
Sooo... I started my Tinabob beta kit. Now it's almost as far as I can go. I'll probably start on the Tiny X too. Three planes on the bench, wow, never thought this would happen!

Oh yeah, there's the Mini Flash, and Cessna 180 and .....
Hope this heat wave ends soon or I'll have about 6 planes that will need sanding and covering!

John
Jul 29, 2003, 11:36 PM
"Superior Air Power"
Wasp maX and Tinabob.

Wasp max airframe weight: 4.8oz
Tinabob airframe weight: 1.1oz

Wow! What a difference!

John