Dec 24, 2012, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix
ok sorry let me ask you this first, what are you actual charging needs? you mentioned a number of batteries at once right? how many? what type? how fast?
Right now I am charging 4 Cell/14.8 V/3000MaH Batteries (Most)
and then I have a bunch of 2 Cell/800Mah for my small TH Foamys
....But I am getting ready to buy a 74 Edge which will take a 6 cell Battery or might go 8 Cell which in that case I will probaly just pair the two 4 Cell Batteries up to do so. So I am trying to figure out what I would need to do to get the best results out of this charger and also if this was a good charger tha tI bought. It is too late with taking it back so I want to mak the most out of what I got, but It would be nice to hear that I did buy a good charger (If that is the case)
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2012, 03:34 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith
Right now I am charging 4 Cell/14.8 V/3000MaH Batteries (Most)
and then I have a bunch of 2 Cell/800Mah for my small TH Foamys
....But I am getting ready to buy a 74 Edge which will take a 6 cell Battery or might go 8 Cell which in that case I will probaly just pair the two 4 Cell Batteries up to do so. So I am trying to figure out what I would need to do to get the best results out of this charger and also if this was a good charger tha tI bought. It is too late with taking it back so I want to mak the most out of what I got, but It would be nice to hear that I did buy a good charger (If that is the case)
Well, you may have gotten a good charger.... but here's what i do....

if your batteries are discharged to the same voltage level, you can recharge them in parallel with the same charger, but that's usually not the case.

If you want large parallel charging capacity, setup your own charging station, with multiple cheap chargers, like this (see attachment)

It's basically a suitcase that hooks up to a car battery, the bigger charger chargers 2-6 cell batteries at 200W (cost me $40), the 4 smaller chargers ($9 each) charge 2-4 cell batteries.

It gives me the ability to charge a lot of batteries at once at different voltage levels, no problem, and at a cheap setup price too.

Basically this charger 'suitcase' cost me about $100 including chargers, foam, and suitcase, not a bad deal. I've used it many times, it's awesome.
Dec 24, 2012, 08:03 AM
I need a battery charger.
Which one is the best?

Greg
Dec 24, 2012, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Well, you may have gotten a good charger.... but here's what i do....

if your batteries are discharged to the same voltage level, you can recharge them in parallel with the same charger, but that's usually not the case.

If you want large parallel charging capacity, setup your own charging station, with multiple cheap chargers, like this (see attachment)

It's basically a suitcase that hooks up to a car battery, the bigger charger chargers 2-6 cell batteries at 200W (cost me $40), the 4 smaller chargers ($9 each) charge 2-4 cell batteries.

It gives me the ability to charge a lot of batteries at once at different voltage levels, no problem, and at a cheap setup price too.

Basically this charger 'suitcase' cost me about $100 including chargers, foam, and suitcase, not a bad deal. I've used it many times, it's awesome.
Wow! That would have saved me about 200 dollars if I spoke to you before purchasing a charger: so what is the name these items that you bought and where can I buy them at??
Dec 24, 2012, 04:09 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith
Wow! That would have saved me about 200 dollars if I spoke to you before purchasing a charger: so what is the name these items that you bought and where can I buy them at??
The bigger charger is this one

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ischarger.html

the smaller ones:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...30w_2s_4s.html

i bought the 1st one quite a while ago, then just added the 4 little guys later on

no fancy features on these guys, just down and dirty really, for more money you'll get better features
Dec 27, 2012, 12:08 PM
Just want to ask before make a mistake here...

Im going to buy my first charger, and thinking about either a Imax B6, or a turnigy accucel 6 50w. Any major difference between these?

Which ones better?
Dec 28, 2012, 11:26 AM
I am curious about something.. Is there a way to use a bigger lipo battery ie a 6s 3000mah to power my accucel 6 for charging my micro 1s batteries? It would be so much easier than hauling around my power supply, finding an open plug at an indoor event, and dealing with all of that. I'm sure its been answered but after searching I cannot seem to find anything. Maybe its my wording in my search?
Dec 28, 2012, 03:21 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d astronaut
I am curious about something.. Is there a way to use a bigger lipo battery ie a 6s 3000mah to power my accucel 6 for charging my micro 1s batteries? It would be so much easier than hauling around my power supply, finding an open plug at an indoor event, and dealing with all of that. I'm sure its been answered but after searching I cannot seem to find anything. Maybe its my wording in my search?
your accucel 6 appears to support an input voltage of 11-17 volts or so, so a 3 - 4 (maybe 5?) cell would be your safest battery to plug it into, and then yeah you could just charge your micro batteries that way
Dec 28, 2012, 04:23 PM
Quote:
your accucel 6 appears to support an input voltage of 11-17 volts or so, so a 3 - 4 (maybe 5?) cell would be your safest battery to plug it into, and then yeah you could just charge your micro batteries that way
Have you personally done this? I know it should work in theory, just looking for some results Thanks for your help!
Dec 28, 2012, 04:45 PM
Sky Pilot
A 5 cell Lipo will not work. Even at nominal voltage it is over 18V. A good size 4 cell lipo will cost you 2 to 3 times what a gel cell will cost you and you will risk the chance of ruining a lipo if you don't watch it's voltage very closely. A sealed gel cell is ususally 7,000 mAh and if you drain it while charging your packs it will not be damaged. That is the way I would go.
Dec 28, 2012, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by still4given
A 5 cell Lipo will not work. Even at nominal voltage it is over 18V. A good size 4 cell lipo will cost you 2 to 3 times what a gel cell will cost you and you will risk the chance of ruining a lipo if you don't watch it's voltage very closely. A sealed gel cell is ususally 7,000 mAh and if you drain it while charging your packs it will not be damaged. That is the way I would go.
Wow didnt realize how cheap they are. Something like this? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Charger-Combo
Dec 28, 2012, 05:21 PM
Sky Pilot
Yes, no muss no fuss.
Dec 28, 2012, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Yes, no muss no fuss.
I was really considering the lipo route but seeing as I am dumb and didnt think about input voltage, this is the perfect solution. I don't have any 4s packs that I would risk ruining by charging from them so buying one would be quite expensive. Thank you kind sir!
Dec 28, 2012, 08:24 PM
wood is good
This discussion has inspired me to try using my motorcycle battery for charging 4S 2200 lipo's, in the field, using my 206B. It is 12 ah, so easily transported.
Dec 29, 2012, 12:36 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Quote:
Good point, definitely a better way to go

Quick Reply