Dec 17, 2010, 02:11 PM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Thread OP

Looking to buy a charger? Look here before you ask for suggestions.

This thread should be self explainatory.

If you ask for charger recommendations in this thread, I can not guarantee your safety. Castigating the offenders is not only allowed, its encouraged.

12/17/10 LiPo Charger Suggestion?

12/16/10 Help! Need a charger!

12/05/10 What is a good lipo charger

12/12/10 This charger, or this one

12/04/10 Which battery charger?

12/10/10 Need help on figuring size of chrager

12/08/10 What do I need to chare Hyperion batteries in 10-12 min. ?

11/26/10 Suggestions for charging 6-cell 5000mAh Lipos?

12/07/10 Charging 2, 3 Cell Lipos at the same time

12/01/10 What charger should I buy for my heli?

The list so far is just for this month. The list will be updated as needed. If I miss a new thread, please send me a PM and I'll update the list.

KC

11/30/10 Multi Port Balance Chargers

11/30/10 mAh logging on modern chargers

11/30/10 Need a charger for my nitro heli batteries

11/24/10 Whats the poop on Turnagy Chargers?

11/24/10 Imax b8

11/18/10 200 watt Lipo Chargers? any good ones out there?

11/23/10 I need a recommended charger for LiPo

10/28/10 Looking for a Good Charger for 6S 5000mah

11/19/10 Which Charger?

11/19/10 Question on chargers

11/19/10 Simple, Cheap LIPO Balancing Charger

11/19/10 I would like a charger that...

10/23/10 Recommended Balancing Charger?

11/19/10 best balancing charger...

11/07/10 Best charger for 3c to 6c lipo

11/07/10 Best charger?

10/28/10 Charger - Just starting out flexibility

11/06/10 DC Lipo charger choosing

11/03/10 A good charger for my 6S packs?

11/05/10 Need 4s and a charger

10/31/10 Nice 1st charger?

Ok, that's it for the "which charger should I get" type threads for the last 2 months.

After checking the above threads, if you still feel the need to start a new thread, please do so, but PLEASE, use the search function first.

KC
Last edited by KC; Dec 17, 2010 at 03:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2010, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc
this thread should be self explainatory.

Castigating the offenders is not only allowed, its encouraged.

Kc
+1!
Dec 23, 2010, 12:50 PM
Is there any site/magazine which does independent reviews of chargers?
Dec 24, 2010, 08:09 AM
Reduce the drama...
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxgurugamer
Is there any site/magazine which does independent reviews of chargers?
You are looking at it!
Dec 24, 2010, 01:31 PM
Go Ugly Early
OK...after spending a few days, and countless hours reading, and re-reading all but a few of the threads on this "list of shame"...I have to ask...

How is belittling someone asking for help useful to a noob, and how does it promote the R/C community? How will "Castigating the offenders..." foster a positive learning environment, and enrich a newcomer's R/C experience?

As stated, I read through virtually every one of them, and multiple times. Granted, the responses were generally helpful, with the exception of a few chest-pounding veterans who felt it necessary to stroke their own ego(s) by posting vague replies, implying that they know this, and you should too. However, there are a ton of options out there, and most noobs (like me) don't even know what we don't know...that is, we are so new to this, we don't even know what questions to ask, or what to research.

Being a teacher, I can tell you it is a dangerous thing to have someone trying to learn, yet bottling up questions for fear of embarrassment. It is also very damaging to that learning process to humiliate, or "castigate" someone seeking help, or with valid questions that they don't even have a clue where to begin seeking the answers. On top of that, you are opening the door to a noob making errors, getting frustrated, and leaving the hobby behind, when a little help could have made all the difference.

This is a 'public' forum for R/C enthusiasts, and hobbyists to come together and help each other out. 99% of the R/C pilots I've met are eager to pour their aquired knowledge out to help a newcomer, and will literally stand there for hours on end answer questions, and offering advice. Some folks don't have any other community resources than what can be found online...places like this forum right here. Some people don't have a LHS that they can walk into, and say, "Hey, I'm looking for a charger...I have these planes, and these batteries...what would you recommend, and what all do I need?"

So, you can either help out, or ignore, roll your eyes, lash out, etc., and turn a frustrated newcomer off to a hobby that has its own frustrations.

How you respond to anyone's post for help (or even this post) is up to you.
Dec 24, 2010, 08:32 PM
characters welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen
So, you can either help out, or ignore, roll your eyes, lash out, etc., and turn a frustrated newcomer off to a hobby that has its own frustrations...How you respond to anyone's post for help (or even this post) is up to you.
Fair enough. How about we manage all four?

We'll mostly help out, occasionally ignore each other, roll our eyes and even lash out at each other when provoked. Welcome to an interesting area of our society which is no different than anywhere else...just online and we fly toy airplanes. Kindly lighten up. I found the OP amusing in the manner it was intended.

Good work, KC. You efforts will hopefully help more new and old modelers that haven't a clue what a search engine is for.

mw
Dec 24, 2010, 09:03 PM
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton
I like the idea of pre-seached thread reference, but is there a way you could post a brief synopsis of each thread's contents? the titles can be somewhat vague, and most people are not going to systematicaly go through all of them to find the answer to their question when they can just post it themselves. Isn't that what this thread is trying to prevent?
Dec 24, 2010, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin
You are looking at it!
Sorry, I disagree. What we have here is a bunch of hobbyists who are expressing their opinions. Granted, many of them are knowledgeable and helpful (and ignoring the unhelpful comments), but this site does NOT offer independent reviews and comparisions of a large number of chargers. In order for comparisions to be valid they need to be done under rigorous conditions, with professional grade equipment being used for testing.

I've read that hobbyist chargers should only be expected to be accurate to within about 5% or so. Well, I'd like to know which chargers are less accurate than that, which ones are in that ballpark, and which ones are superior and are accurate to within 1% or so. I don't get any of that information here.

So it appears that there is no professional group, website, magazine, etc. which does this type of testing. It appears that we hobbyists are being left to our own devices, forced to rely upon fellow hobbyists feelings and opinions.
Dec 24, 2010, 09:50 PM
Go Ugly Early
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
Good work, KC. You efforts will hopefully help more new and old modelers that haven't a clue what a search engine is for.

mw
Searching implies the 'seeker' has a clue what they are looking for, and where to start. I've been searching for days, and probably have more questions than answers.

You were certainly correct about something...MOST members here are typical of toy airplane pilots in general...gracious, and helpful.
Dec 30, 2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks KC!

If I were someone new to this hobby, I'd find your post very helpful! Consolidating all those threads is a great idea. This should be a sticky.

Oh, it is, sorry.
Jan 01, 2011, 11:40 AM
---- --

man,

i need a whisker biscuit.

castigat... what?
Last edited by 9XTremist; Jan 01, 2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: cuz
Jan 04, 2011, 06:17 PM
Nice to have the list above. Thank you KC. It works for the new guys and the old guys too!

I agree with " The Hog Pen". RC Groups proves there are many here that will help the new guy every time they can...no matter what. We value them all. It makes me proud, to see the length they go to help, and they do it often.

There's also the many experienced, savy, and smart that will read a new post...and are bothered by it just being there. Yeah! It was discussed some time ago. They just don't need to comment at all, please pass on by, if they can only be critical of the poster. Yeah, give them a re-direct to the earlier post, with discussion on their question. It's not fun to read the smart remarks, that don't help the guy, asking the question.

Make yourself proud.
Jan 07, 2011, 09:21 AM
People that take the mick out of dumb questions want to think back to the time they were asking dumb questions .
Jan 08, 2011, 09:43 AM

AstroFlite 110D

Have a chip to convert 110D charger to 123 battery charger. Instruction with chip only cover converting 109 AF charger. Any ideas?

thank you
Old Jan 09, 2011, 05:24 PM
nextkee
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. It is temporarily hidden while nextkee edits it.

Quick Reply