This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 12, 2013, 07:40 PM
Chi va piano, va lontano
No offence taken at all, if you cant laugh about that kind of stuff, your too serious. I was joking right back at ya my friend. It is kind of odd though that there is no Spanish in the Horizon manuals... Thats partially why I want to get rid of my dx6i, because i hear you can put the interface in Italian on the dx7s and dx8. The 8 is a bit costly, so the 7 sounds like a nice upgrade, but then I read that it will not, or may not, work with my RangeLink.

Thothtp - I use the securitycamera 600tvl, and I love the color and image quality. Only thing missing is a case for the camera, but thats what 3d printers are for.... I'll just make the interns at work draft one up to snap over it and voilą.

If you go 1.3G play it safe and get a video rx with filtering as you may run into some interference using the 2.4G band on your rc tx. 5.8G almost guarentees that you will not run into interference issues. I know nothing about 900mhz, I heard that cell phones may run on that band so you could run into interference with that band? Others will correct me if im wrong im sure.

Search this thread! answers are here
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2013, 07:54 PM
FPV nut
Stryker misbehaving Flown with Dragonlink FPV (2 min 26 sec)
Feb 12, 2013, 08:41 PM
Can anybody reccomend a good first fpv plane. I am a competent pilot already and I'm looking for something in the 100 dollar range pnp from the US. So far I have seen a few that I liked I'm just curious whats the best,

Tech one Popwing
FPV Raptor
Sky Surfer
AXN Floater Jet.

Can anybody reccomend any of these over the others or make a better reccomendation
Feb 12, 2013, 08:42 PM
FPV nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbySky
Can anybody reccomend a good first fpv plane. I am a competent pilot already and I'm looking for something in the 100 dollar range pnp from the US. So far I have seen a few that I liked I'm just curious whats the best,

Tech one Popwing
FPV Raptor
Sky Surfer
AXN Floater Jet.

Can anybody reccomend any of these over the others or make a better reccomendation
Personally, I would go with the skysurfer (easystar)because it's so simple.
My second choice would actually be a Swift2 over the popwing.
Feb 12, 2013, 08:45 PM
What do you think about the fpv raptor, It seems very easy to assemble and like a decent plane
Quote:
Personally, I would go with the skysurfer (easystar)because it's so simple.
My second choice would actually be a Swift2 over the popwing.
Feb 12, 2013, 08:58 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87
No offence taken at all, if you cant laugh about that kind of stuff, your too serious. I was joking right back at ya my friend. It is kind of odd though that there is no Spanish in the Horizon manuals... Thats partially why I want to get rid of my dx6i, because i hear you can put the interface in Italian on the dx7s and dx8. The 8 is a bit costly, so the 7 sounds like a nice upgrade, but then I read that it will not, or may not, work with my RangeLink.
Yeah I could tell you knew it was a joke, but someone else didn't and they are a local guy I will probably run into eventually, so I wanted to be clear. There is so much missing on here - if you met me, you'd know I'm the last person who would be racist. Besides, the joke is really a jab at Americans, not Italians or Spanish. It's deep... remember it is a Simpsons joke.

There is so little text in the interfaces that I don't know if the language would matter that much, but I can understand wanting it in a comfortable tone. There are five languages on the DX8 - English, German, Spanish, French, and Italian. Why would it not work with RangeLink? Doesn't it use the trainer port? That's the same as your DX6i - only the DX7SE (with the E) doesn't have a trainer port, all other Spektrums do.
Feb 12, 2013, 09:06 PM
Chi va piano, va lontano
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501
Yeah I could tell you knew it was a joke, but someone else didn't and they are a local guy I will probably run into eventually, so I wanted to be clear. There is so much missing on here - if you met me, you'd know I'm the last person who would be racist. Besides, the joke is really a jab at Americans, not Italians or Spanish. It's deep... remember it is a Simpsons joke.

There is so little text in the interfaces that I don't know if the language would matter that much, but I can understand wanting it in a comfortable tone. There are five languages on the DX8 - English, German, Spanish, French, and Italian. Why would it not work with RangeLink? Doesn't it use the trainer port? That's the same as your DX6i - only the DX7SE (with the E) doesn't have a trainer port, all other Spektrums do.
Some folks over on the RangeLink thread were talking about issues with the DX7S. I guess I need to look into it more. All I know is that the dx6i has on numerous occasions reset my dr/expo. Cost me some hot glue and about 15 minutes...
Feb 12, 2013, 09:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaglione87
Some folks over on the RangeLink thread were talking about issues with the DX7S. I guess I need to look into it more. All I know is that the dx6i has on numerous occasions reset my dr/expo. Cost me some hot glue and about 15 minutes...
Every time I hear something like that I fall a little more in love with my old-skool DX7

I've seen some weird things regarding the trainer port on these when using them at the club training nights, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was some small technical issue but it does adhere to the standard.
Feb 12, 2013, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
200mW on 900MHz is your ticket. Check ANY reputable vendor and piece it together from there. That $45 camera is my favorite camera. I have several of them.

-Alex
Alright that sounds good to me. So would something like this work well?

600 TVL camera with 2.1 (or 2.8?) mm lens

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...a-For-FPV.html

900 mhz receiver

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...74117ea1896bf0

900mhz 200mW tx

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...07cd8ae21c110d

2.1mm connector cable

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=990

16mm toroids

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=326

CP antenna set

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=801

then I will be hooking it up to vuzix wrap 1200 goggles

http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/products_wrap_1200.html

And using a spare 3s 4000mah lipo for receiver power.

Does all that stuff make a good setup? What else will I need? Cables? Can I get away with main battery power with a couple toroids to avoid RF noise?

Thanks again!
Feb 12, 2013, 11:48 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thothtp

Does all that stuff make a good setup? What else will I need? Cables? Can I get away with main battery power with a couple toroids to avoid RF noise?

Thanks again!

IMO... if this is your first FPV experience you might want to think about going with a LCD screen for viewing instead of goggles. When your just getting the feel of FPV it allows you to fly LOS, and then glance up and down from your aircraft to verify that what you are seeing on your screen is actually what you think is happening in the air. Its really a confidence builder. Also, when landing it allows you the freedom to either watch the screen or your plane. Just my .02.

Something like this:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1191
Feb 12, 2013, 11:54 PM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thothtp

600 TVL camera with 2.1 (or 2.8?) mm lens

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...a-For-FPV.html

900 mhz receiver

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...74117ea1896bf0

900mhz 200mW tx

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...07cd8ae21c110d

2.1mm connector cable

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=990

16mm toroids

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=326

CP antenna set

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=801

And using a spare 3s 4000mah lipo for receiver power.

Thanks again!
Looks good to me. I'd go with the 2.8mm lens on your camera. The 3.8 or 4mm is pretty good too.

-Alex
Feb 13, 2013, 03:46 AM
Closed Account
hey guys,

I have this camera and I want to mount it on this pan/tilt system. I want to make sure I have a little bit of room between the camera board and the back plate. If I use these spacers, will they do the job? Is it the right size??

Also, I have no clue which screws to use for these... can someone please advise which ones I need?
Feb 13, 2013, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentF
Yes, there is a switch on the goggles to turn off the built-in 5.8 receiver and use the video in port. I use mine with the built-in receiver and also with a 1.3 receiver.

Kent
Thanks Kent exactly what i was after regards nick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
Looks good to me. I'd go with the 2.8mm lens on your camera. The 3.8 or 4mm is pretty good too.

-Alex
Alex just like to say thankyou for all your help in this thread has made my life a lot easier hopefully making a big order tonight regards nick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbySky

Tech one Popwing
FPV Raptor
Sky Surfer
AXN Floater Jet.

Ok here goes my first attempt at giving someone advice on this forum so here it goes. Anything in red/blue i will include a link for you.

I have not personally flown the Popwing, Raptor or Skysurfer however.
The sky surfer is pretty much the same as the Hobbyking Bixler which i actually own 2 of and one bixler 2 aswell as 2 axn floater jets.

Popwing
First up the popwing, I have no idea about how it flies the closest thing i have flown to the popwing is a Funjet which was nice to fly although for the shape required fairly fast flying to avoid stalls. From the initial shape of the plane it also makes me feel that balancing all the gear may be made a little bit harder than a conventional glider/plane.

Secondly the FPV Raptor.
Now I have not bought one of these but I have looked at a review regarding the Feiyu Tach FY31AP which used a Raptor for a test subject. Aswell as getting to see how well the FY31AP worked there was also a second conclusion derived from the testing regarding the Raptor.
The raptor although spacious and large up the front is great however this surface area up the front coupled with the small tail section means you are flying with a kind of sail up the front. In slightly windy conditions you will find that turning the plane may be unpleasant from the large surface area the wind has to push around up the front of the plane. Hope that makes sense!!

AXN Floater Jet.

Ok this plane is the best beginners plane in the world!! I had 2 cubs prior to this and this little thing made me keep keeping on! Easy to launch, fairly quick, glides well can take a 2200mah battery which will last you 40minutes if you just fly up and glide back down.
The issues with this plane. The biggest issue for me with this plane was the turning and tendency to stall however the problem was stiff epo hinges which i cut and put some plastic hinges in, turned it into a whole new plane. Also you need a prop adaptor asap as the rubber band holding the prop doesnt last long and a prop adapter is the only way to go I have never ever broken a prop on this plane. 6x4 gives you a little more go!
Issues regarding fpv. Ok so I have a go pro which i attach the the plane it is mounted between the back of the canopy and the front of the motor cowling on a go pro sticky mount (i cut the foam so it was flat there). The plane will only just hand launch and unless you are like 60 - 70m up no loops!!!!. There is no room in the cockpit of this plane for more gear and its wing span is only like 1200mm in comparison to a bixler it is rather small.
My conclusion is this is an amazing plane and well worth the money so much so i bought another one the day after my first flight with this plane. However for fpv I think you could definitely make it work but in my opinion its wing loading and gliding capabilities along with its size perhaps means it is not best for fpving.

Bixler/Skysurfer
Now between my step dad and I i think we have 5 or 6 of these. Basically these are not that fast but are fairly agile, they glide amazigly and slow fly really really well. They have heaps of room inside and you can make a magnetic hatch in the side for all your radio gear. Some issues with the bixler is power and the epo hinges which if you plan to fpv cut and hinge the ailerons and elevator using these hinges 3 for each aileron and 4 for the elevator work fine and hey its a total of !10. There is also this the Bixler2 which is the same thing just with a slightly larger cockpit and 100mm larger wingspan. The bixler FPV Mount does not fit the bixler 2 but with some persuasion and logic it will deffinately fit and most of the hardwork is already done for you. You can also fit a large battery i think 4000mah 3s. AXN Floater Jet motor is also a great upgrade for the bixler. All in all for the price/fun ratio it has to have 5/5 stars I will be using a bixler2 for my first fpv plane my father is using a normal bixler for his first fpv plane and I have not had one crash nor has my father with his.

Anyway mate I hope this has helped you a little in your decision I would take the Axn Floater over the raptor and the Bixler over the floater jet for fpv as for the popwing I have no idea as I have not owned nor flown that model.

Also for all you HK haters out there sorry for linking everything to the HK site I know they dont have the best name but in all honesty out of 15 orders and about 3-4k they have missed 1 nose cone off a gosshawk. If it was not for them, myself and my old man would not be flying today as they are cheap and our local hobbystore are the worst hobbystore imaginable!! As for my fpv stuff that will be sourced from other online stores
Regards and thanks for reading Nick.
Last edited by Webbey64; Feb 13, 2013 at 04:17 AM.
Feb 13, 2013, 10:22 AM

ccd lenses

I am using 1/3 sony ccd cam 420TVL from hobbyking. Need some advise as follows:
1. Image quality is very good for indoor but not so sharp on open bright area like very bright sunny day. Is this normal?
2. How to change the stock lense? I bought 2.8 lense but afraid to change it in case i might damage the cam or couldnt get the lense focus right.
Feb 13, 2013, 10:24 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBravo
I am using 1/3 sony ccd cam 420TVL from hobbyking. Need some advise as follows:
1. Image quality is very good for indoor but not so sharp on open bright area like very bright sunny day. Is this normal?
2. How to change the stock lense? I bought 2.8 lense but afraid to change it in case i might damage the cam or couldnt get the lense focus right.
1. Yes. You need a WDR (wide dynamic range) camera. For cheap units that work well, check security camera2000 under the FPV section.

2. Loosen the small set screw and back it out. They often have a lot of resistance for the first turn or so as sometimes they use a small mount of adhesive to keep it in tight.

Quick Reply