This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 01, 2013, 03:26 PM
Chi va piano, va lontano
Maybe consider a rangelink UHF for your rc tx/rx system - You probably wont need to upgrade that for a while, if ever. I have a 200mw tx/rx for the video I bought from hobbyking, and a set of IBCrazy's bluebeams as mentioned above. With their range limit, it should keep me out of too much trouble trying to go too far. I have a homemade 4 turn helical, but thats just to test with.

I would also suggest maybe a CE-OSD for a good OSD, and not concern yourself too much with the RTH option, as suggested above. I know I wont use it until im comfortable with the system and my flying area, and if I am curious one day, maybe ill give it a shot. Main thing to look at is what works with what - for example, over on the RL thread, people are having interference issues with RL and Eagletree's OSD, while most are ok running CEOSD.

It all requires a ton of research, which is what they make coffee and Saturday mornings for.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2013, 04:15 PM
I have a question regarding DVR recording. If I take the video out feed from my Lawmate Rx and y-split it, having one end go to my Dominator goggles while the other end goes to my DVR, will it:

a) reduce the video quality on my goggles?

b) will it go blue screen on my goggles if I get blue screen on the DVR?

Thanks
Jan 01, 2013, 04:19 PM
uptime4downtime
Thanks guys. I took my bird out for test flights, but without a spotter, I never made my second FPV flight. I need to really test my system over and over, and get a good feel of range before I go solo. I think I'll leave the RTH right now, and also for cost reasons. I too actually think simplicity can improve reliability. But I am investing in a lost model alarm (simple TX switch activated beeper).

Can anyone recommend a high quality screen? I have been using a reliable dealextreme 8" model that is well tested for fpv, but as I'm using screens, I reckon a 10" would improve viewing clarity, and maybe help me avoid 'obstacles' a little more! :-))
Jan 01, 2013, 04:40 PM
Swiwin Turbine Dealer
I'm looking for a 15" tv also!!
Latest blog entry: Ryan S-T
Jan 01, 2013, 04:50 PM
uptime4downtime
Big thanks to IBCRAZY for the great videos, and inspiration. Nicely done. And of course, the aerials!!
Jan 01, 2013, 05:17 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIATION_RULZ
I have a question regarding DVR recording. If I take the video out feed from my Lawmate Rx and y-split it, having one end go to my Dominator goggles while the other end goes to my DVR, will it:

a) reduce the video quality on my goggles?

b) will it go blue screen on my goggles if I get blue screen on the DVR?

Thanks
That's what I do and it seems to work ok using a portable DVD recorder.
Jan 01, 2013, 05:53 PM
2^p - 1
I read somewhere that splitting to two devices is fine but splitting to 3 or more pretty much requires a powered splitter.
Jan 01, 2013, 06:54 PM

New to FPV

I have been reading through and following this post as I am just getting into FPV and AP. I have built a form of a Spyder quad and am very happy with it's performance and have been doing LOS but have a 200 5.8 HK system installed that so far seems to work fairly well for the limited testing I have done, (all indoors as it is flippin cold here now) I have a reasonable 7" monitor I picked up and then I obtained a used and cheap pair of MyVu glasses. On a sunny day the 7" monitor makes it very hard to see and the MyVu are slightly better if I block out the top with a hat pulled low. I am assuming there are pros and cons to either application but was wondering if there is a preference in the community for either one. I appreciate any response and thank all who have assisted me so far in these forums. It is a great place for information and ideas.

Dave
Jan 01, 2013, 07:12 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
i run both a monitor and goggles and i definitely prefer the goggles personally, gives me a much more immersive experience.

However, like one guy did, if you can mount a large tv IN your car and sit in the car all nice and warm, booya!
Jan 01, 2013, 08:25 PM
2^p - 1
I feel a bit trapped in goggles, so prefer a monitor. However the monitor requires a box for sunscreen and a tripod so is more cumbersome to transport and set up. So like you said, pros and cons
Jan 01, 2013, 08:59 PM
pǝʇɹǝʌuᴉ sɐʍ I ǝsnɐɔǝq
I haven't done this yet, but if I get a FPV setup I am going with the "Flatscreen-in-a-trailer" approach. Mobile groundstation that gets set up at home!
Jan 02, 2013, 01:46 AM
uptime4downtime
I'm an FPV beginner, but have used downlinks for ages for AP. I have found this a very cheap and simple solution that works amazingly in full sun. My monitors are on standard brightness etc. It's a good solution for screens if you want a wearable, portable solution, which is what I needed when doing AP for my spotter. I should mention, if you want to use the TX, you really need to put the groundstation on something, but at a pinch, you could fly witht he TX above the station if wearing it

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...12&postcount=3

And another shot here of both werable, zero dollar ground stations (well, a few dollars if you have to buy corro)
Last edited by 3D Kiwi; Jan 02, 2013 at 01:51 AM.
Jan 02, 2013, 08:20 AM
The way of being is doing.
Here you can find some pictures on the solution of the problem Dominator - Dragon Link interference. I covered the goggles with Mu-Metal. While the shielded cable is RG59 with gold plated connectors and two rings of ferrite TDK. With this solution, the interference are greatly diminished although still visible when you point the DL antenna directly to Dominator or you lay the antenna on the goggles cable. I can say that mu-metal solve the problem for about a 70% while the shielded cable for a 30%. I hope it will be useful
Jan 02, 2013, 11:47 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleman
I haven't done this yet, but if I get a FPV setup I am going with the "Flatscreen-in-a-trailer" approach. Mobile groundstation that gets set up at home!
Put an airplane launcher on the roof and you have it made!

-Alex
Jan 02, 2013, 11:48 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMEIV
Here you can find some pictures on the solution of the problem Dominator - Dragon Link interference. I covered the goggles with Mu-Metal. While the shielded cable is RG59 with gold plated connectors and two rings of ferrite TDK. With this solution, the interference are greatly diminished although still visible when you point the DL antenna directly to Dominator or you lay the antenna on the goggles cable. I can say that mu-metal solve the problem for about a 70% while the shielded cable for a 30%. I hope it will be useful
If the Mu metal all connected together it would work better as it would create a Faraday cage

-Alex

Quick Reply