This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 07, 2012, 09:23 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess
I have to respectably disagree. The only reason to hesitate buying a LRS system is if you can't afford it. The beginner has enough variables to worry about. After getting a DragonLink I never worried about my RC link again. Now I can focus my attention on my video link and all the other little issues the pop up when designing a reliable system. I almost lost my plane using 72, and I was within a mile. Yes it is possible to get 3 miles, but not reliably. I was stuck with RTH turning on and off repetitively which really made the plane fly out of control.
RTH causes more problems than it corrects. No newcomer should be using it. look at the pros and ask them how many use RTH. Remember if you engage RTH and anything goes wrong, your plane is lost forever. If you choose an outbound landing, you can go get your plane.

UHF control has many disadvantages:
1. Spurious emissions - These cause interference with your video feed. The frequency it disturbs is often random, so it's anyone's guess which will be disturbed.
2. UHF control is in its infancy. I have seen several systems check out well before my really cheap 72MHz did.
3. It's not perfect, yet some people believe it to be that way. Do not assume your control is infinite. When ducking behind objects or flying low at distance, UHF will fail just like any other radio system.

Learn to fly FPV, then upgrade.

-Alex
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2012, 09:40 AM
Will it ever Fly?
Hope someone here can give me a little information on the Dragon OSD.
I see the manual says to have servo outputs installed.
Do I just plug the servos into them? If so how does the RX get the signal to the servos?
Or do I need Y adapters to plug the RX into the servo and the Dragon OSD?
I am not seeing what needs to be done to work.
Probably there but I am not seeing it. ( And can't find the answer in any post anywhere)
Was hoping there was Dragon OSD forum.
Last edited by Flybynight2; Oct 07, 2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: ADDED
Oct 07, 2012, 10:10 AM
Volts>amps
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHTON
Well UHF has better range, but 95% of pilots don't fly over about 2 miles this is within reach of 72mhz. IMO it is better to learn on 72mhz then move up to UHF later. It is not a good idea to start with UHF because it gives the new user a false sense of security so they push beyond their capabilities. Gotta start at the beginning, like learning to drive in a Honda Civic vs Ferrari.
thanks, and like alex said I'm going to stay within the ranges and practice distance/hours before going all out.

So regarding my question about the x5, skywalker 168 and the bixler 2. Any advice on my comments
Oct 07, 2012, 10:29 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
The X5 is a pretty cool plane, but not for beginners. The Skwalker is a flying tractor trailer. it hauls a lot of gear, but won't do anything fancy. The Bixler is a decent plane that's easy to fly.

Honestly, I'd go on another website, find a plane you like, and throw some FPV gear in it. Try a P-38 lightning

-Alex
Oct 07, 2012, 10:33 AM
Quote:
I have to respectably disagree. The only reason to hesitate buying a LRS system is if you can't afford it. The beginner has enough variables to worry about. After getting a DragonLink I never worried about my RC link again. Now I can focus my attention on my video link and all the other little issues the pop up when designing a reliable system. I almost lost my plane using 72, and I was within a mile. Yes it is possible to get 3 miles, but not reliably. I was stuck with RTH turning on and off repetitively which really made the plane fly out of control. In retrospect I should have just turned off the transmitter, but that isn't what comes to mind when you are fighting to keep your plane from getting blown out to sea.
I lengthened the Rx antenna to 1/2 wave and mounted it on the wing. I followed all the advice here, but the technology just doesn't favor 72, it's easy to get shot down someone or something. I wish I had bought the LRS right out of the box and never hassled with 72, but I'm a real cheap ass and didn't want to jump into FPV without dipping my toe in. I've learned. Just get it! You can always sell it. It's certainly a better investment than RTH which is often hard to set up reliably in all conditions.
I would agree. I looked into the cost of getting the 72 MHz module and a PCM 9 channel Rx and its 50 bucks less then the dragon link. No reason for me not to just go ahead and get it.
Oct 07, 2012, 10:58 AM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynight2
Hope someone here can give me a little information on the Dragon OSD.
I see the manual says to have servo outputs installed.
Do I just plug the servos into them? If so how does the RX get the signal to the servos?
Or do I need Y adapters to plug the RX into the servo and the Dragon OSD?
I am not seeing what needs to be done to work.
Probably there but I am not seeing it. ( And can't find the answer in any post anywhere)
Was hoping there was Dragon OSD forum.
You hook the airplane's RX to the DOSD which does it's thing (RTH etc...) then you hook the servos to the DOSD as well.

As for the ongoing debate on 72mhz, I think it all depends on your location and luck. I fly out in BFE and can easily get 3 miles.
Oct 07, 2012, 11:57 AM
Will it ever Fly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wettfeat
You hook the airplane's RX to the DOSD which does it's thing (RTH etc...) then you hook the servos to the DOSD as well.

As for the ongoing debate on 72mhz, I think it all depends on your location and luck. I fly out in BFE and can easily get 3 miles.
Ok, might have part of it.
The servos connect to the OSD, PWM 1-4, is that correct?
Now were do you send the RX signal to the OSD? Do you use Y cables.
OR is there connections on the OSD that that don't show to connect the RX outputs to?
Still confused.
Oct 07, 2012, 12:31 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
Buy a really cheap N to SMA adapter. The cheap ones have an impedance mismatch that puts the antenna right on 1280MHz. The cheaper, the adapter, the better. Check EBAY.

-Alex
Thank Alex that is a creative solution no one else would have thought of!
Unfortunately it already came with SMA. Any other solution, or should I get an SMA to N and then another N to SMA adapter?
How much will this frequency mismatch affect my signal?
Oct 07, 2012, 12:37 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Quote:
Ok, might have part of it.
The servos connect to the OSD, PWM 1-4, is that correct?
Now were do you send the RX signal to the OSD? Do you use Y cables.
OR is there connections on the OSD that that don't show to connect the RX outputs to?
Still confused.
Your Rx must either have a PPM output which is a single wire that carries all channels, or you must buy a PCM to PPM adapter, or you can try to mod your Rx to harvest the PPM stream. This is all very clearly explained in the DOSD manual, and we have a huge thread right here on RCGROUPS, if you look you can't miss it.
Oct 07, 2012, 01:01 PM
Will it ever Fly?
Quote:
Your Rx must either have a PPM output which is a single wire that carries all channels, ( My RX only has pins for 3 wires)or you must buy a PCM to PPM adapter, or you can try to mod your Rx to harvest the PPM stream. This is all very clearly explained in the DOSD manual, and we have a huge thread right here on RCGROUPS, if you look you can't miss it.
Well thanks I guess.
I can't find or at least understand what they are trying to say in the manual.
It is too technical for me. ( I an to old). I don't know what a PCM or a PPM is.
I have been looking and searching RC groups for a Dragon OSD Forum for a week now. And I posted here because I haven't found any help.
If anyone knows where a forum on Dragon OSD is PLEASE give me a link.
I am very frustrated with this.
I purchased this system with the understanding that everything was to come with what I needed, even the wiring.
Looks like not so.
Oct 07, 2012, 01:45 PM
Hi everyone
I ve been trying to setup and fly FPV for the last 9 months with not too much success so far. Good thing is that at last I have managed to get a perfect video link thanks to cp antennas (made following ibcrazy blog).

Trouble is that I get lost when I try to fly by monitor. I have studied the field I m flying (google-earth) and have flown several times LOS recording the flight just to study the path of a very basic 200m circle, yet first attempts were a failure.
All the time I have been using this camera:
600TVL SONY SUPER HAD CCD Color Board Camera 4mm Lens OSD D-WDR
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...d%252dWDR.html
And here comes the question:
Is a 4mm lens too "narrow" for FPV beginners? I like that the image has no "fish eye" effect, and I know that it is more difficult than say a 2.8mm lens.
My next steps will be lowering the camera so that it faces more towards the ground, and employing flaps to slow down the plane (Mpx FunCub). Is it do-able to learn with this camera (even at a slower pace) or should I just save it for later and buy a 2.8mm(maybe 3.6mm?) lens one?

PS: sorry for not attaching any video, but I just found that my 4min LOS flights recorded by easycap+VeeDub are 5Gb big thus hard to copy/upload
Last edited by dk31; Oct 07, 2012 at 01:55 PM.
Oct 07, 2012, 02:15 PM
Rubbin's Racin
Hello RC Groups members,

This is my submission for a video contest sponsored by the Temecula Wine Growers Association:
What I Love About Temecula Wine Country (2 min 3 sec)

In the video, I utilize RC aerial shots (which I'm sure you all will appreciate), timelapse, interviews and beautiful scenic shots of the valley and all it has to offer.

I'm calling upon the support of my fellow rc enthusiasts to help me win. Please take two minutes to watch my video. If you like it, can you please leave a comment and vote for it here:
http://apps.facebook.com/contestshq/...tries/58503087

Thank you,
Will
Oct 07, 2012, 02:29 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
That was an awesome video. You have a really stable platform. Assuming a tricopter or quad right?
Oct 07, 2012, 03:30 PM
Anyone know if the Bixler kit comes with a prop? I see it has a motor. And if I'm going to need servo extensions, which kind/size do I get?
Last edited by mp43sniper; Oct 07, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Oct 07, 2012, 03:50 PM
FPV in Hawaii
Quote:
Well thanks I guess.
I can't find or at least understand what they are trying to say in the manual.
It is too technical for me. ( I an to old). I don't know what a PCM or a PPM is.
I have been looking and searching RC groups for a Dragon OSD Forum for a week now. And I posted here because I haven't found any help.
If anyone knows where a forum on Dragon OSD is PLEASE give me a link.
I am very frustrated with this.
I purchased this system with the understanding that everything was to come with what I needed, even the wiring.
Looks like not so.
The thread is here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1211816

You must consider that the DOSD is not right for you, it is very flexible, but also very technical. I recommend you save yourself a great deal of confusion and trouble from the start and not use DOSD. I have been using it for many months and it is still a source of confusion and frustration for me. The wiring is complex and full of pitfalls like ground loops and over voltage to certain pins. The RTH programming has about 10 gain settings that all interact with each other. Many on the thread have never been fully successful with the autopilot settings.
Don't get me wrong, there is much to love about the DOSD, but if you say you aren't technical, it's not the best OSD for you.
If you must have RTH (against IBCrazy's good advice) consider the Cyclops Storm. It looks very simple and very capable. There are many other simple OSDs out there, but not many with RTH because RTH is simply not simple.

Quick Reply