How to FPV: Newbies thread - New Multirotor tuning video - Page 473 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 03, 2012, 04:28 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
Wettfeat's Avatar
Just out of curiosity what kind of range is my setup looking at?

Futaba R156F Dual Conversion Receiver
Futaba 6EXP Transmitter
HK 900Mhz 1500mw vTX
CE OSD with GPS mounted in nose

Vee antenna directly connected to vTX on wingtip of Skysurfer
RX antenna in center fuselage with antenna run on the underbelly

I've flown it before LOS pretty far out to where I almost couldn't see it.
The area I fly in has literally NO RF interference.

P.S. I figured out you can bookmark this forum and make it automatically goes to the latest page of posts
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5327&page=9999
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2012, 04:46 PM
FPV'r
ror1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wettfeat
Just out of curiosity what kind of range is my setup looking at?

Futaba R156F Dual Conversion Receiver
Futaba 6EXP Transmitter
HK 900Mhz 1500mw vTX
CE OSD with GPS mounted in nose

Vee antenna directly connected to vTX on wingtip of Skysurfer
RX antenna in center fuselage with antenna run on the underbelly

I've flown it before LOS pretty far out to where I almost couldn't see it.
The area I fly in has literally NO RF interference.

P.S. I figured out you can bookmark this forum and make it automatically goes to the latest page of posts
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5327&page=9999
You have no failsafe with that RC control...right ?
Oct 03, 2012, 05:20 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
Wettfeat's Avatar
Nope no fail safe. I think I can program it though.
Oct 03, 2012, 05:39 PM
FPV'r
ror1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wettfeat
Nope no fail safe. I think I can program it though.
I was going to use futaba 72mhz system when i discovered that I can only have failsafe with a futaba PCM Rx....
And I have FM Rx...no failsafe...
Oct 03, 2012, 06:15 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
Wettfeat's Avatar
I don't really care for fail safe anyways.
Oct 03, 2012, 07:06 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
Umm... that's nowhere near enough information. What about your video system?

-Alex
Sorry about that!

I'll be using dragonlink for all tx and rx with a Spektrum DX6i/Turnigy 9x.
Oct 03, 2012, 08:07 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
Wettfeat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by at3whee
Sorry about that!

I'll be using dragonlink for all tx and rx with a Spektrum DX6i/Turnigy 9x.
What video system do you have? We need to know that too. The dragonlink is fine and you will pretty much have control wherever you want to go. Your just limited by your video system which is why we need to know it so we can tell you how far you can go.
Oct 03, 2012, 08:25 PM
FPV'r
ror1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wettfeat
I don't really care for fail safe anyways.
sorry why not?
if go out of range you lose plane?
Oct 03, 2012, 09:57 PM
God is my pilot
JimTMich's Avatar
OK, all the input on SPEKTRUM and 2.4 control and my desire to fly through trees, not soaring up in the clean air, etc I changed directions and bought my first FPV component....... a 72Mhz radio LOL....

So I'm thinking 1.3Ghz for video (or 2.4 would be open, but would probably have interfearance being in the burbs). Do I go with the stock whips or bluebeams? I had it all figured out that I would need bluebeams since I want to fly all around me in short distances with obstacles, not long voyages. Would bluebeams still be the ticket, or should I try the stock antenna first?
Oct 03, 2012, 10:41 PM
Chi va piano, va lontano
guaglione87's Avatar
Question for yall. I fly a bixler, and am getting ready to buy a video tx rx need some advise. So here is a bit of a background on my situation.

I plan on flying without obstructions, LOS with a spotter. I am getting around 1KM range with my 2.4 dx6i with the AR400 (which i love btw). This is a ground test, so I probably could get more in the air, but i dont think i will push it.

So initially I am thinking 5.8 is what is best for me.

I am not a beginner flying, but a beginner in FPV. That being said I plan on starting out flying with a monitor ie. my laptop with a video grabber. However I would like to get something that will be compatible with Fatsharks. Speaking of which, I was thinking about the base version because of the nice FOV. As i understand, that can hook up to any rx, so compatibility should not be an issue being that there is no built in rx in the goggles? please correct me if I am wrong.

If that is in fact the case, i was thinking about going with the HK 5.8 200mw with CP antennas - which, feel free to recommend which i go with, or if i should build my own.

Last thing, I have a 808#18 with av out, good or bad idea to use this?

Thank yall so much for any advice - it is hard to come by good advice it seems...
Last edited by guaglione87; Oct 03, 2012 at 11:42 PM.
Oct 03, 2012, 11:08 PM
Closed Account
I can't speak for anything FPV, but I can say don't use the DX6i for FPV! I flew LOS and "browed out" many times causing a crash. If you want to stick with 2.4ghz for controlling your plane, go with a Turnigy 9x with FRsky module. Or do what I did and get a cheap 72mhz radio. I have a JR XP6102.
Oct 03, 2012, 11:35 PM
Chi va piano, va lontano
guaglione87's Avatar
right, i may get a 72mhz 9cap, but for now i need suggestions on my questions above...
Oct 03, 2012, 11:43 PM
Gravity - It's the law
Yabba's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTMich
OK, all the input on SPEKTRUM and 2.4 control and my desire to fly through trees, not soaring up in the clean air, etc I changed directions and bought my first FPV component....... a 72Mhz radio LOL....

So I'm thinking 1.3Ghz for video (or 2.4 would be open, but would probably have interfearance being in the burbs). Do I go with the stock whips or bluebeams? I had it all figured out that I would need bluebeams since I want to fly all around me in short distances with obstacles, not long voyages. Would bluebeams still be the ticket, or should I try the stock antenna first?
Go with the bluebeams. You'll have a lot of multipathing issues with Linearally polarized ants.

Higher freqs (i.e. 2.4 5.8) you'll definately want Circular Polarized, multipathing is worse with the higher freqs.

I haven't been following your posts, are you familiar with IB Crazy's website?

Click on his avatar, there's a LOT of good info there. Go to his website and look at the video re antenna polarization. It's about 25 minutes long but it will be the best 25 minutes you'll spend learning some basic about the how and why of polarization.

Yabba

Here, I did it for you
Antennas 101 - Polarization, Diversity & Gain Patterns (27 min 56 sec)


Watch it....twice. And still go to Alex's website.
Last edited by Yabba; Oct 03, 2012 at 11:48 PM. Reason: added "Antenna 101" video link
Oct 03, 2012, 11:59 PM
Suspended Account
Fail safe is one of the most important aspects of rc and also fpv

Daniel,wee invented fail safe to be set as we fly fpv and is the best invention or idea ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wettfeat
I don't really care for fail safe anyways.
Oct 04, 2012, 01:44 AM
FPV in Hawaii
iskess's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22
Fail safe is one of the most important aspects of rc and also fpv

Daniel,wee invented fail safe to be set as we fly fpv and is the best invention or idea ever
Daniel Wee invented fail safe?!
Please tell me more about this history.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Can this cam be used for FPV ? SpookiePower FPV Talk 11 Aug 17, 2016 12:08 AM
Discussion How to calculate flight time - guide ikorman Multirotor Drone Talk 16 Jun 26, 2016 08:34 AM
Cool How cool would this be for FPV Kai_Shiden FPV Talk 4 Feb 18, 2016 09:02 PM
Discussion How many FPV pilots in the world? rbmaze FPV Talk 10 Aug 03, 2011 07:16 AM
Poll Would you be interested in buying Ready to Fly FPV airplanes from a new FPV store? FPVNOW FPV Aircraft 36 Oct 06, 2010 09:56 PM