This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 08, 2012, 01:48 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynight2
Thanks, I have been looking but it looked like to me to have to spend over $400
to get one of my planes up to speed.
Buying the anti's, camera, transmitter, view screen.
Guess I am missing something,
Buy the way I was Thinking of 900MZ systems. (poor cell service here).
Thanks again

Question? what does IMO stand for?
900 mhz has some baggage.. go with the 5.8 its almost plug and play. with near zero issues of interference
IMO=
In My opinion
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2012, 02:00 PM
FPV FTW!!
Quote:
Thanks again

In My Opinion. If you live out in the country somewhere with not a lot of urban development around 900 should be fine, although a lot of the Tx/Rx's are older technology. Get one with an upgraded SAW filter (in the Rx) if you go 900mhz.
Jun 08, 2012, 03:05 PM
FPV FTW!!
Is there a way to test the output power of a VTx without using an oscilloscope?
Jun 08, 2012, 05:06 PM
Team White Llama!
Quote:
Thanks again

Well, Here's my advice:

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58...-mi-p-178.html

plus this:

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html

gets your TX/RX sorted for about $130.

You will want to build a pair of CP antennas, IBcrazy's cloverleaf and skewplanar wheel are easy enough, he can made a few tutorials.

For something to few it on, you will either need to use an old small TV, an LCD screen, or make the jump straight into goggles.

When you want cheap, often you have to do a bit more work. my firts FPV system was $127. it was a receiver, a transmitter, and a $12 cmos camera. I used to crate an 19" CRT TV out to the field, power it off my car's lighter port, and used a home made Goof-Proof Patch. It was unreliable, hard to see where i was going(cmos, narrow lens) and heavy (TV!). It was also a blast
Jun 08, 2012, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wettfeat
Bad idea for that exact reason. People using HAM radio use that so you will get interference.
Thanks Wettfeat.

Got the Corona 72 MHz receiver today and range tested it to the same .53 mile range with my Airtronic AR8000 and Berg rx. I'm going to try binding it to my buddies Futaba radio tomorrow to see if the radio makes a difference.
Robby
Jun 09, 2012, 04:44 AM
FPV in Hawaii
It's the strangest thing Alex. I cut my rx (Hitec Fusion 9) antenna wire to about 6" and added a female bullet plug. I then ran an extended wire down my wing and let it hang off the tip, this attaches with a male bullet plug.
During testing I was getting very glitchy movements at close range. When I turned off the RC TX to test the failsafe, it would failsafe, but when I turned it back on I could never regain control. I duplicated this several times. Then I disconnected the wing extension of the RX antenna wire at the bullet plug, and the problem went away.
The weird thing is that I got a good range test of 47 paces just prior to this, with the longer antenna.
I think I'm going back to stock length. The problem might be interference from my video transmitter, and the longer antenna makes the RX too sensitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
I see no reason why that wouldn't work.

-Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess
Dear Alex, I want to lengthen my 72mhz RX antenna to 1/2 wave as you have described in other threads. I also would like to route the antenna wire to the wing tip on my Twinstar II, then let the rest trail behind. I need the wings to be easily removable for transportation, so ideally I would use a small male+female connector, like a little bullet plug so I can disconnect the RX antenna along with the wing. Is there any problem with cutting and soldering on a connector in the antenna wire? Will it screw up the impedence or something?
Thank you!
Last edited by iskess; Jun 17, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Jun 09, 2012, 05:37 AM
Wallop!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexnoobs247
Is there a way to test the output power of a VTx without using an oscilloscope?
You could connect a proper load (e.g. a good antenna or a 50 Ohm resistor) and rectify the voltage with a microwave diode, preferably with a directional coupler in between. Beware that you measure plain power, not radiated power.

Quick & dirty could be to connect a 50 Ohm resistor and measure the heat it dissipates. Involves a bit of maths though.

Martin
Jun 09, 2012, 10:23 AM
Will it ever Fly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete
Well, Here's my advice:

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58...-mi-p-178.html

plus this:

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html

gets your TX/RX sorted for about $130.

You will want to build a pair of CP antennas, IBcrazy's cloverleaf and skewplanar wheel are easy enough, he can made a few tutorials.

For something to few it on, you will either need to use an old small TV, an LCD screen, or make the jump straight into goggles.

When you want cheap, often you have to do a bit more work. my firts FPV system was $127. it was a receiver, a transmitter, and a $12 cmos camera. I used to crate an 19" CRT TV out to the field, power it off my car's lighter port, and used a home made Goof-Proof Patch. It was unreliable, hard to see where i was going(cmos, narrow lens) and heavy (TV!). It was also a blast
Thanks, I guess I have been looking in the wrong places.
Yes I will have ti purchace some small TV or screen.
I will be getting started
Jun 09, 2012, 01:34 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonicMan
Thanks Wettfeat.

Got the Corona 72 MHz receiver today and range tested it to the same .53 mile range with my Airtronic AR8000 and Berg rx. I'm going to try binding it to my buddies Futaba radio tomorrow to see if the radio makes a difference.
Robby
You've already got me beat on range. I'm scared to go out of LOS here in the city. I figure that it would be better to do it out in the country where there is less stuff to hit and more fields to make it easier to find.
Jun 09, 2012, 01:38 PM
Gravity - It's the law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wettfeat
....and more fields to make it easier to find.
Right Have you put one down into the middle of a corn or wheat field?

Yabba
Jun 09, 2012, 05:38 PM
Closed Account
Hi guys,

I am wanting to add pan/tilt to my Bixler and I bought the DIY carbon pan/tilt cheapo from hobbyking. I'm not necessarily impressed with it and it does not come with any instructions for the build.
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced pan/tilt unit?

Thanks
Jun 09, 2012, 09:31 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMASJONES
Hi guys,

I am wanting to add pan/tilt to my Bixler and I bought the DIY carbon pan/tilt cheapo from hobbyking. I'm not necessarily impressed with it and it does not come with any instructions for the build.
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced pan/tilt unit?

Thanks
i used the the larger one one from HK...it works great and it is light... use it, its a good unit. gonna use the smaller one this week. on my new bird. with a KX 6 camera from range video
Jun 10, 2012, 12:02 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem
i used the the larger one one from HK...it works great and it is light... use it, its a good unit. gonna use the smaller one this week. on my new bird. with a KX 6 camera from range video
The unit does not come with a instruction manual and I'm confused as to what goes where
Jun 10, 2012, 12:08 AM
Hey folks....

So I bought a XGY-1000 head tracker and I am a little confused. Basically, when I tilt the headtracker either on the x or y-axis,.... I don't get a proportional movement from my servos. For example, when I turn the head tracker 90 degree to the right, in the x-axis.... my servo only goes 45 degrees to the right. When I go 90 degrees to the left on the x-axis... I only get 45 degrees of servo travel to the left. Same thing happens when I move on the y-axis. Is there anyway I can get a 1 to 1 ratio so when I turn 90 degrees in either direction, I can have my servo travel 90 degrees as well (instead of the 45 that I'm getting now)?

Thanks everyone!
Jun 10, 2012, 02:03 AM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIATION_RULZ
Is there anyway I can get a 1 to 1 ratio so when I turn 90 degrees in either direction, I can have my servo travel 90 degrees as well (instead of the 45 that I'm getting now)?
Are your servos 180 degree servos?

-Blues

Quick Reply