Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:43 PM
tbear2195 is offline
Find More Posts by tbear2195
Wannabe Engineer
tbear2195's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
I cannot comment on the FrSky system. I fly 72MHz and a DragonLink. However the WiFi booster really does work. You can even couple it with an inexpensive patch antenna by getting an inexpensive IPX (U.FL) jumper cable.

PM sent on the equipment.

-Alex
It really doesn't matter to me which control system it is. I just want something that is affordable that will get me that range I am looking for. About the antennas, how many do I need and should they be on the transmitter or receiver? With one of your helical antennas and that $60 transmitter/receiver combo, can I achieve 3-4 miles of range?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:48 PM
IBCrazy is offline
Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbear2195 View Post
It really doesn't matter to me which control system it is. I just want something that is affordable that will get me that range I am looking for. About the antennas, how many do I need and should they be on the transmitter or receiver? With one of your helical antennas and that $60 transmitter/receiver combo, can I achieve 3-4 miles of range?
If you fly in a good location and aim the antenna properly, then yes you can. However, remember the range equation. Selection of a site, keeping the Fresnel zone clear, and aiming the antenna properly are essential and not easily understood until you've experienced problems with it. Experience gets you as much range as your equipment does.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:17 PM
tbear2195 is offline
Find More Posts by tbear2195
Wannabe Engineer
tbear2195's Avatar
Alright thanks for all the help. I really just wanted to get an estimate of how much it would cost to equip a plane with a camera and all the necessary electronics. I will probably buy a plane soon in the future but I will fly it some and get used to it before I buy any video equipment.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:48 PM
Stacky is offline
Find More Posts by Stacky
Pants first, then shoes
I did search the forums but didnt find the answer so forgive me if its out there somewhere. There is a guy in Brazil, has the nickname of Gabriel. I have seen some of his FPV flights and in one he passes through 2 car tunnels. I was under the impression that fpv needed some sort of line of sight for the antenna. Im amazed that he got through 2 reasonably long tunnels. Is he using something different from the usual gear?

Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:59 PM
galaxiex is offline
Find More Posts by galaxiex
my karma ranover my dogma
galaxiex's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
I did search the forums but didnt find the answer so forgive me if its out there somewhere. There is a guy in Brazil, has the nickname of Gabriel. I have seen some of his FPV flights and in one he passes through 2 car tunnels. I was under the impression that fpv needed some sort of line of sight for the antenna. Im amazed that he got through 2 reasonably long tunnels. Is he using something different from the usual gear?

Thanks
His ground station was positioned at one end of the tunnel... so his signal would be LOS while flying thru said tunnel....
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:09 PM
Daemon is offline
Find More Posts by Daemon
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Pretty sure that one was flown from a chase car.

ian
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:18 PM
galaxiex is offline
Find More Posts by galaxiex
my karma ranover my dogma
galaxiex's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Pretty sure that one was flown from a chase car.

ian
Ahhh, right you are... I was thinking of a different vid...
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:15 PM
Stacky is offline
Find More Posts by Stacky
Pants first, then shoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Pretty sure that one was flown from a chase car.

ian
The one I saw he hand launched it from the side of the road, didnt seem like a car chase but could have been. thanks for the replies.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:16 PM
Stacky is offline
Find More Posts by Stacky
Pants first, then shoes
Its this video
FPV from suburbs to the beach (5 min 19 sec)
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:20 PM
Daemon is offline
Find More Posts by Daemon
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
The launch was from the middle of the road. Should be pretty obvious that
the ground station was in a car.

ian
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:47 PM
Stacky is offline
Find More Posts by Stacky
Pants first, then shoes
cool thanks
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:01 AM
scrtsqrl is offline
Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Just trying to get a nut.
scrtsqrl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Note to newbies:

What constitutes an "acceptable operating area and safe practices" varies from locality to locality...

Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:46 AM
hotdog1 is offline
Find More Posts by hotdog1
"Chuck Yeager"
hotdog1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
Note to newbies:

What constitutes an "acceptable operating area and safe practices" varies from locality to locality...

You would think common sense would cover "acceptable operating area and safe practices" ! but In many cases that is not the case
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:19 AM
kristaps_r is offline
Find More Posts by kristaps_r
Registered User
kristaps_r's Avatar

Power connector


Hi

Can anyone suggest best option what battery connectors are prefered to use in FPV? I see a lot of OSDs and current sensors use T-Connectors like these.
Maybe it shoud be pointed in document on first page wich connector is prefered for maximum compatibility.

Kristaps
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:42 PM
PHMX is offline
Find More Posts by PHMX
Never trust laughing dolphins
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristaps_r View Post
Hi

Can anyone suggest best option what battery connectors are prefered to use in FPV? I see a lot of OSDs and current sensors use T-Connectors like these.
I must say I like those T-connectors as they won't go loose easily.

But basically any kind will do, just as long as your plane will operate under normal circumstances using those connectors. I'd pay a little attention to what A it can handle, but that's about it.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Can this cam be used for FPV ? SpookiePower FPV Talk 11 Aug 17, 2016 12:08 AM
Discussion How to calculate flight time - guide ikorman Multirotor Talk 16 Jun 26, 2016 08:34 AM
Cool How cool would this be for FPV Kai_Shiden FPV Talk 4 Feb 18, 2016 09:02 PM
Discussion How many FPV pilots in the world? rbmaze FPV Talk 10 Aug 03, 2011 07:16 AM
Poll Would you be interested in buying Ready to Fly FPV airplanes from a new FPV store? FPVNOW FPV Aircraft 36 Oct 06, 2010 09:56 PM