This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 08, 2011, 07:21 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RChelisrule
exactly what frequency does a 900mhz video system use? will this patch work for one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ME:B:BODO:US:1
You will need to change out the connector. It is an "N" type. You need an SMA male connector on the end. 900MHz uses only 910MHz legally in the U.S. I don't know about other countries.

-Alex
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2011, 09:02 AM
hi, what's a good plane to do FPV flight? and could you please put links of cameras, receivers and all I can use for FPV flight? i have a year of experience in planes and 2 in helicopters and now I want to fly fpv flight but I know nooothing about it
Feb 08, 2011, 09:12 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
It's all in the guide on the first page. However you can go to the FPV vendors websites for greater selection in the "What to buy for video piloting" thread as well. That's where most of us buy our goodies.

-Alex
Feb 08, 2011, 03:55 PM
Giant Scale 3D/IMAC & FPV
Quote:
Distance in miles acheivable = 1/2 + number of hours under the FPV hood/50 + Number of study hours/100
Wow, this formula for max flyable distance is actually pretty close IMO! I just ran a couple test numbers and it's actually pretty accurate in my estimation.

Egan
Feb 08, 2011, 04:48 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
Answer: Only 2 or 3 people in the world have ever acheived that range and it was with careful planning and lots of experience. 10-15 miles is unrealistic for even the most experienced FPV pilots. -Alex
KJ4RIV

There has got to be way more guys who have flown over 10 - 15 miles

Lots of guys just don't post on rc groups, but surely there are way more than 2-3 peolpe in the world Of course getting back home and landing where you took off from is the idea.

Its actually not that hard todo, as long as you have the right set up and experience with basic radioology.

The best way to do long range IMHo is baby steps, like just go further every time out and get used to the site and how to function with your fpv set up. Practicing with an rc car as an example is a great way to get to know your fpv set up , because it will alow you to get the best feel for the fpv set up. It really helps make you feel more comfortable when practicing fpv with an rc car.

You have to then be able to fly your plane flawlessly non fpv lots of times, then install fpv equipment and start fpv with a plane.

Not knowing your suroundings because of lack of flying around, takeing baby steps with distance is most likely one large problem guys have. You have to be cool at all times and alway know where you are in relation to home.

Winds have to be studied before the flight and haveing a wind sock or flag at the base is good as well.

Once you know your area, limits of the plane re battery consumption, winds etc. long range is not that hard.

osd with gps/rth etc. is a good thing, but not all long range guys need that. IMHO it just complicates things and could cause potential problems, because you should always be aware of your suroundings, even if you are 15 miles away. Your fpv set up should also be tested many times to make sure it is flawless and works for much longer than expected. If your flight is say 1.5 hours long your plane and ground station should be good for at least 2 hours.

This is my third year in rc and second for fpv, if I can do it anyone can

You do have to ask lots of questions and practice lots
Feb 08, 2011, 10:26 PM
eflyguy
Thx, Alex.
Feb 09, 2011, 03:29 AM
thanks Alex.
Feb 09, 2011, 04:25 AM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22
There has got to be way more guys who have flown over 10 - 15 miles
5 regulars here have gone more than 10 miles off the top of my head, bound to be a few more.

Mark
Feb 09, 2011, 04:42 AM
Now which way was home.....
FIRST POST!

I have been stalking for a while and figured I would join. Im getting into FPV and have a Sunsky 1.2ghz 800mw system on the way, if they ever get back in stock that is.

I have been reading a lot and will continue to digest some of the great information on this forum. I'm looking forward to the new direction in my flying addiction and have an Easy* all built and ready for action. I will have humble beginnings but plan on upgrades after proving my system and setup.

Sunsky 1.2mhz 800mw VTX/RX
Multiplex Easystar
Power Up 32A ESC
2836-22 (2200kv) inrunner
6X3E prop
TP 9G servos
LMA
HK $17 Sony camera
Hitec Prism7 FM RX/TX
and a couple 950mah 3S and 2200mah 3S lops to run it all off of.

I have been flying for a few years now and have always dreamed about FPV flying and decided it was time to have a go at it. I cant wait to get my system all installed and start testing it.
Feb 09, 2011, 07:23 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Welcome to the addiction I like your handle!

You set up sounds fairly good. If I may make a few suggestions:

1. Get a better camera. Any of the cameras in my the document will do well. I will be adding a few more soon.

2. Build my inverted Vee antenna for the TX. Or if you are really ambitious, build two skew-planar wheel antennas for the ultimate FPV performance. Tutorials are in my blog.

3. Put something stronger than 9 gram servos in the plane for control surfaces. I have had good success with the Bluebird 380MGs Hitec HS81's and Hitec HS82MGs. The reason is FPV planes tend to stay airpborne longer than a standard plane and you run a higher risk of burning up those servos. With the added equipment on board, a crash is more costly and thus well worth the investment of a better servo.

4. Consider a single battery setup using a power filter such as the "Sander style" filter. This just makes life easier for you by only having to keep track of one battery. It won't increase performance.

5. Get you HAM radio license if you don't already have one. Take about 10 practice tests online and then go take the real thing. It's fairly easy to pass.

Good luck. You are off to a great start!

-Alex
Feb 09, 2011, 07:44 AM
i've been reading some other posts and they say that I can fly FPV at a certain altitude like no more than 3000meters and blah blah blah, are those rules true?
Feb 09, 2011, 08:09 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Those "rules" are what I call soft rules. As of right now those are merely suggestions for what the FAA has determined to be safe operations. However if you look at AC91-57 subpart E there is an exception for those who plan appropriately. Still, there is no law limiting what you can do. This is highly debated and is speculated to change in the near future.

However, the rules in AMA 550 are defined rules that must be followed at AMA fields unless you have permission to do otherwise. I find that no AMA field I have been to enforces AMA 550 after they see a flight or two.

-Alex
Feb 09, 2011, 08:15 AM
my karma ranover my dogma
Not rules really.... more like guidelines....

Capt. B
Feb 09, 2011, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
You will need to change out the connector. It is an "N" type. You need an SMA male connector on the end. 900MHz uses only 910MHz legally in the U.S. I don't know about other countries.

-Alex
Alex. So this cable should do the trick to hook this patch to a standard HK video receiver? http://cgi.ebay.com/RF-pigtail-cable...item414c48cfd4
Feb 09, 2011, 01:31 PM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
No. that is RP-SMA. You need this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/N-Male-SMA-Male-...item5adee476d7

Quick Reply