This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 10, 2011, 11:48 PM
FPV Browncoat
What kind of motor do you need to get that off the ground though? I have a Dynam Hawk Sky Ez* clone and it's already rather heavy with 2x 2200mah 3s batteries, such that I often have problems launching it in calm winds. I have a 2200kv motor and 6x4 prop on it, and I'm a little worried that with the added weight of an FPV system it might not be able to take off, at least with no wind. Perhaps I'll need a different prop, maybe one with less speed but more torque (I really don't understand power systems at all)?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2011, 01:29 AM
Village Idiot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator
What kind of motor do you need to get that off the ground though? I have a Dynam Hawk Sky Ez* clone and it's already rather heavy with 2x 2200mah 3s batteries, such that I often have problems launching it in calm winds.
That sounds like a lot of battery for that plane.
Aug 11, 2011, 01:36 AM
FPV Browncoat
I like it because it allows me to fly up to 20 minutes per flight, whereas I could only do half that with one. The plane can carry it alright and they fit in the nose just fine--I'm just not sure how much more weight it can handle with the FPV system and am wondering if there's any way to increase its lifting power by changing the prop or something.
Aug 11, 2011, 02:37 AM
HANG ON A BIT FOLKS!! How does this work then?

Prelator gets 20 mins out of 2x2200 batteries, that's only slightly more than twice the time my mate gets out of his 450 helicopter, which has 1x2200 lipo. I thought aeroplanes had much better efficiency than helicopters...

Would anyone care to ignore my obvious ignorance, and set me straight on this?
Aug 11, 2011, 03:10 AM
Village Idiot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallabat
HANG ON A BIT FOLKS!! How does this work then?
The plane is heavy with that much battery. It is designed to be run with ONE 1250mha 3s battery. It is much lighter that way and might fly 8-9 min. But gets 20 min with almost 4 times the capacity. The more it weighs, the more power it takes to fly, the faster he drains the packs. Get it?

There is a guy on here (rcg) that flew 6 hours on 1300mAh total. Yes. 1300mAh. To just depends on the type of plane, wing loading.
Aug 11, 2011, 04:38 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterInVegas
just depends on the type of plane, wing loading.
...and flying style.
Aug 11, 2011, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

I'll keep putting this aeroplane together and see what endurance I can actually get.

The eventual "mission" is to haul 200 grams of electronics about 30 miles, with a current draw of around half an amp from the electronics package, plus whatever the motor needs. (yes, I want to do it with an electric motor, rather than an i/c motor).

I'd read somewhere that someone got an hour out of his easy*, must have got that wrong.. Doh!

Wonder what airframe I should have picked...
Aug 11, 2011, 09:49 AM
Gravity - It's the law
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallabat
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

I'll keep putting this aeroplane together and see what endurance I can actually get.

The eventual "mission" is to haul 200 grams of electronics about 30 miles, with a current draw of around half an amp from the electronics package, plus whatever the motor needs. (yes, I want to do it with an electric motor, rather than an i/c motor).

I'd read somewhere that someone got an hour out of his easy*, must have got that wrong.. Doh!

Wonder what airframe I should have picked...
There seems to be at least 22 threads on RCG regrading the EZ*, Bixler, Skysurfer.

Although your question is not OT you might be better served to check out a couple of the other threads.

Here's a good one

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1363621

Not trying to be nasty or mean. just trying to help

Yabba
Aug 11, 2011, 10:07 AM
Can someone please point me in the right direction for the following:
1) Best ground station power source
2) Best voltage control source for ground station- voltage regulators, etc.
3) Best way to not have "blue screen of death"- product and link would be awesome

THANK YOU!!
Aug 11, 2011, 11:59 AM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFlorida
Can someone please point me in the right direction for the following:
1) Best ground station power source
2) Best voltage control source for ground station- voltage regulators, etc.
3) Best way to not have "blue screen of death"- product and link would be awesome

THANK YOU!!
BEST? No... nobody can tell you what's "best" for you...

1) I use Lipos - 1 for the RX and goggles and one for the recorder
2) nothing... a regulator would only increase power usage with little benefit
3) Fat Shark goggles will display static
Aug 11, 2011, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501
BEST? No... nobody can tell you what's "best" for you...

1) I use Lipos - 1 for the RX and goggles and one for the recorder
2) nothing... a regulator would only increase power usage with little benefit
3) Fat Shark goggles will display static
I understand….best recomendation will do.
1) Any other recomendations for most consistant power/ voltage distribution to ground station

3) I am asking in reference to using a display. I have heard about Coax to RCA converters and Video buffers which eliminate "blue screen of death"

Thanks!
Aug 11, 2011, 12:31 PM
Village Idiot!
Same as jasmine, 2200 3s powers Rx's and goggles. No reg.
Aug 11, 2011, 12:33 PM
Village Idiot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFlorida
I understand….best recomendation will do.
1) Any other recomendations for most consistant power/ voltage distribution to ground station

Thanks!
I use a lipo, but you can use a car battery if you like.
Aug 11, 2011, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl
...and flying style.
...and power combo. I put stronger motors onto my TwinStar and while it had nice strength, I could only get about 20 minutes out of it compared the the same setup with a better power combo that wasn't so overpowered. With that setup I was able to get about 32+ minutes with the same battery and flying style.
Aug 11, 2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the help there yabba.

I wouldn't have any objection at all to having it pointed out that I'm off topic, however: Given that the thread is entitled "How to be successful in FPV - A guide for newcomers (Newbies post questions here)", and I am definitely a newbie (at least as far as FPV is concerned) with a fair few questions, I thought this would be the place to ask them..

My confusion aside, I really do appreciate the links, I'll certainly go look at them and see what I can learn.

Quick Reply