This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 31, 2020, 08:34 PM
Thanks. also, re the vtol, I was looking a a tailsitter. It takes off as an aircraft, straight up,
and I presume you have to fly up again and cut power until you hang on the props, and then go straight down. maybe differential thrust, maybe gravity pendulum? Anyhow, you need 1.camera, 2.goggles to convert. (is the transmitter part of the camera?) I now have a simulator-hotprops, loading Bluestack for the second time, fingers crossed, and awaiting my order for a logitech gamepad. I will see if it runs without the controller.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2020, 01:37 AM
Hotprops appears to be defunct! The PC/Bluestack version seems to hang up, And the direct loader versions don't go or are unavailable. I have now bought DRL from Steam. Hopefully it works with the Gamepad controller. I will report back.
Nov 01, 2020, 04:49 PM
I don't seem to have enough memory to run this. It loads alright tho - needs 8gb, I have 6.
Do you think it will work for flying practice? If not, do you have any other tips on simulators?
I think I have a list. I will check requirements for the cheap ones.
Nov 01, 2020, 05:45 PM
Swapped to FPV drone simulator, free, online, Steam. (early release-controller not working yet)
Nov 03, 2020, 04:38 AM
FTP not so good in practice. Retried DRL, and it runs! video resolution has been reduced, but control response, video frame rate, and latency are still good! Also, it has lots of options, and works well with my Gamepad controller.
Dec 08, 2020, 09:59 AM
Are there any simple BNF quads out there suitable for practice indoors and out ( snowy n cold here) ? That don’t require Betaflight? I have used a Spektrum Dx9 mostly. Have a Beta Lite 2. Got a Jumper T12pro but can’t figure it out and those buttons are terrible.
Dec 20, 2020, 10:23 AM

FPV with a GoPro setup.

Hello all

So here is the deal. Here is my equipment list:
1. GoPro Hero 3+
2. FPV 5.8G 200mW AV Wireless Transmitter TS351
3. 3s 11.1v 800mAh Battery
4. EMAX Transporter FPV Boxed Goggles 5.8G
5. Apex RC product 5.8ghz Transmitter Video output cable for GoPro Hero3

Here is the Problem:
So connect everything together and power up both the GoPro and Transmitter. Run the Auto function on the goggles and get fuzz on all setting but one which is just a blank screen. If i pull the battery from the transmitter the blank screen goes fuzzy so I think i am on the right channel. I am wondering if there is a setting i am missing.

I am switching from a setup using a onboard camera and a different transmitter and the goggles work just fine. I am at a loss. I have watched a few videos and it seems straight forward the hook everything up and power it up and bam its running.

Please help me find a clue.....

Thanks
Dec 20, 2020, 12:42 PM
RC and scuba
I know it sounds ridiculously, but you have disconnected ground wire from GoPro to Tx connector
Jan 23, 2021, 01:29 PM
So as I understand it an aircraft has to be below a half pound or it needs to be registered. How big a deal is getting an aircraft registered? I was going to just try and keep it below that weight threshold, but I'm thinking I might want a slightly bigger plane for reasons.
Mar 17, 2021, 11:25 AM

Is there necessary to put XM+ out from drone to update it?

Is there necessary to put XM+ out from drone to update it? Or I could use clamps and somehow put them on receiver connectors while XM+ is still installed on drone?

Thank you.
Jul 29, 2021, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanix Prime
So as I understand it an aircraft has to be below a half pound or it needs to be registered. How big a deal is getting an aircraft registered? I was going to just try and keep it below that weight threshold, but I'm thinking I might want a slightly bigger plane for reasons.
Under 250g including fuel. However if it has a camera it may need to be registered .

The rules may be different in other country's but sub 250 in some places doesn't need to be registered.
Aug 25, 2021, 11:05 PM

Total Newbee to FPV

So my son gave me the DJI goggles and camera last X-mass. He since has taken me on a few drone FPV flights using my goggles linked to his and I'm hooked. Being an experienced wing kinda guy and not a drone guy, I have since purchased a Sonic Model AR Wing Pro, mainly because it is designed around the DJI air unit. My question is;

Will I need a flight controller when I install the DJI air unit, and if so what does it do for me?

Thanks in advance,
Sep 03, 2021, 02:22 AM
Mr Birdie ~ Flight Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnuts
So my son gave me the DJI goggles and camera last X-mass. He since has taken me on a few drone FPV flights using my goggles linked to his and I'm hooked. Being an experienced wing kinda guy and not a drone guy, I have since purchased a Sonic Model AR Wing Pro, mainly because it is designed around the DJI air unit. My question is;

Will I need a flight controller when I install the DJI air unit, and if so what does it do for me?

Thanks in advance,
I had an AR Wing Pro, and I would say its an unforgiving wing to launch.

In answer to what an FC would do for you - it can stabilise the wing, even provide you with an autolaunch mode to assist take off throwing. They can be configured to do as little as you want - ie, if you just want to fly in Manual as you have been but have a stabilised mode there for you it can. If it has a GPS you can get it to come home or possibly save the plane if the RX looses signal for example.

An easy start is to just tape the DJi unit to a plane/wing you already have and go fly - to get the hang of it with a familiar plane you've flown a bit, it takes a while to get the hang of flying from the plane instead of looking at it.

You don't need to have a FC in order to run the DJi unit, as far as I understand, its a stand alone unit.
I have planes that are Naked FPV - in that there's just a camera and video transmitter on them and I just fly them as they are, these tend to be bigger planes and so are quite stable fliers.
I also fly planes with full-on FC gear in them, and when you start getting into that stuff its awesome but a lot more setting up etc, trawling though info and lots of soldering . But its addictive!! so beware!!!. haha.
Last edited by 2StrokeMatty; Sep 03, 2021 at 02:38 AM.
Sep 04, 2021, 12:31 AM
Thank you for the info. I've just about finished the AR Wing and hope to fly it simply as a wing. Then put the DJI air unit and a FC. I'm thinking a Matek 405 wing. I do like your idea of doing fpv in a familiar airplane so I've started installing into a Motion Flightline OV 10. The camera set up seems to be perfect in the front seat and just need to figure out how to mount the tx so that it get max cooling.

Another question; do I need both the receiver and the FC? If I need both are the servos plug into the FC or rx .
Sep 04, 2021, 03:11 AM
Mr Birdie ~ Flight Expert
Yep use an sBus RX to the FC and then out to servos/esc.

Check out vids by these for great tutorials on FC set up. YouTube

Painless 360
Arxangel RC

Both have done Matek FC with sBus how to's.

Quick Reply