-A.J.R.V.- A high performance Flying Wing electric or slope (now with PLANS & video) - Page 3 - RC Groups
Jan 01, 2011, 09:21 AM
the answer 42 is
Hey Greg17 thanks for your advise, and information. Actually your reports on RCSD was one of my inspirations. On this wing I am first aiming to maximize the perfomrnace on flat flying. Using XFLR5 I have checked how to keep the maximun glide ratio an efficiency during themic flight. As I saind before to do this I have to deploy the flaps 2 degrees and move the CoG one centimetre forward, to achieve this I am thinking to move the batery which is 150g already but to achieve this movement I will have to develop a mechanical system that allow me to use a micro servo to move the battery about 4 cms :P

Of course I am already thinking on a slope version orientated to F3F but perhaps I will go with a plank design, an scale up of one of my slope racers
And I will be very glad to hear from your experiences on this field

I will try it out without the CoG veriation and then I will see if its really worthy to do, I think I can buid it in in the next model which I expect to make bigger about 2.6m

Regards

EZ
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2011, 09:35 AM
great progress Edwin

I haven't bothered mixing any elevator with flaps on my wings. The 2m wing gives a slight nose down attitude when flaps are deployed which is fine. I could easily mix in some up elevon to compensate, but I prefer the 'insurance policy' of the nose down poise. In very light winds with full flap defelection, I have held in almost full up elevon to hold the model stationary in the air.

Test your flaps at height first....(though I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that!)
Jan 01, 2011, 09:42 AM
the answer 42 is
OK Paul thanks for the info, and yes I always do try them at good height can be very scary sometimes even more with a new wing I will do some more work today hopefully can have the fuse ready for sanding and rounding

EZ
Jan 01, 2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the video Greg17!!!
Jan 02, 2011, 07:57 AM
the answer 42 is
Ok friends here is the work report of today. the FUse is finished, I reinforced the firewall and bottom with Glass fibre. I am using 4 spider'nuts to hold the wing with 4 metal M4 bolts .

As you can see the model is now Ready to cover and with all the electronics and battery in the weight is close to 900 grams that worries me a little bit, I am not sure if the motor will be strongh enough :P I will have to make some calculations with MOTOCALc and see.

Regards

EZ
Jan 02, 2011, 09:46 AM
Why the long tail boom? Would look much better without to my eye. H
Jan 02, 2011, 10:02 AM
the answer 42 is
Well in fact the plane is nose heavy, the batteries are located on the back of the fuse and it will need some extra lead that is the main reason of the extra lenght. Further more being a plane orientated on thermal duration the long fuse will also be handy to actually see the plane at long distance and altitudes. I had flown other FW in the past and there is a point where is almost impossible to reconize them but at the same distance I can cleary see a standard glider, so it will help also as a visual aid. IT also gives plenty of place to hold the plane and launch it and fInally I just like how it looks a matter of taste

I am also planning to build a fuse for slope and it will be certanly shorter

EZ
Jan 02, 2011, 03:54 PM
the answer 42 is

Who has two thumbs and cover a whole plane in one afternoon??

MEEEEE!!!!

Well here is the work of this lazy sunday, the plane is almost ready, just small pieces are yet to be covered here and there. TOmorrow I will be hinging the surfaces and installing controls. Again this plane is intended to be flonw at heigh and distance that is the reason behind the "circus" inspired covering.

Good night

EZ
Jan 03, 2011, 03:53 AM
Edwin you don't mess around .....that's super quick work
Jan 03, 2011, 06:42 AM
the answer 42 is
ufffff I just finished hinging and Installing controls, the servo flaps are really helping and My ESC got very hot just by standing :P I am defently tired I will take a lunch and do some other tasks. The weather is nice but still need to balance and double check all the electronics :P

I hope I can make a video, but I have no camera man so we will see what comes out

EZ
Jan 03, 2011, 07:36 AM
what's the % mean average chord position of your CG Edwin?.....any video will be better than no video
Jan 03, 2011, 09:07 AM
the answer 42 is
mmmmmm good question I will have to dig on my archive to find out. But the CoG is located at 23.9cm from LE I already marked on the FUse to check the proper balance, I will make a pic of my system .

I got a bit worrried with my ESC it was extremly hot but when I checked with the AMP metter it is only taking 17Amp and is a 30Amp ESC. it is really strange I had this power unit in another plane and it was never so hot. I will check later with a fresh batery

EZ
Jan 03, 2011, 09:33 AM
23.9cm comes in at less than 20% MAC which should be fine, I usually start with my cg at between 18 and 20% MAC for 'wing maidens

you'll probably need a mm or two of elevon reflex for straight and level trim

re the ESC, the servos aren't stalling at maximum throws are they?
Jan 03, 2011, 10:21 AM
the answer 42 is
Yeap I always start with an extra couple of clikcs UP on every maiden flight. I think a coner of the motor is hittin the fuse side :P I will have to fine adjust it.

Regards

EZ
Jan 08, 2011, 05:09 AM
the answer 42 is
OK small udate, the servo problem is solved now, and the ESC is not over heating anymore , so the maiden is comming soon so everyone fingers crossed

EZ