Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 27, 2010, 12:40 PM
the answer 42 is
Hey Dayhead

thanks for the coments, I am a bit ill this days so I am not so productive as usual. Hey! you are a brave man flying in hanggliders I still prefer to have my feet on the ground :P. I read the article from Mr. Ueyama and he found no need to the LE flaps. http://www.glide.net.au/on-the-wing4...5F-%27wing.pdf

I will run some simulations next week and see if the LE flaps can expand the speed range, so far the reduction is of about 2m/seg.

regards

EZ
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2010, 10:18 PM
internet gadfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea
SO far is lloking nice, so I hope it will fly nice. SOmething I like a lot, but unfortunatelly cannot be seen on the pictures, is how the profile blends from AG to HT

I will do some work later today, and I will post some more pictures
Dec 28, 2010, 03:47 AM
the answer 42 is
hey Paul thanks for the comments, mm I jelous that you could fly I have a cold and I dont want to be outside in minus 0 temperatres. About the flaps it dependes a lot on the profile, but I got very good results with the deep flaps up tp 30% of the chord. I think you have a good example on your 2m wing, I am using a similar configuration on this model.

THe plan so far is simple, have the wing complete, electronics and covers and the star working on the FUse so I can better organize the electronics for the variable CoG.

regards

EZ
Dec 28, 2010, 10:36 PM
SlingWinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea
Hey Dayhead

thanks for the coments, I am a bit ill this days so I am not so productive as usual. Hey! you are a brave man flying in hanggliders I still prefer to have my feet on the ground :P. I read the article from Mr. Ueyama and he found no need to the LE flaps. http://www.glide.net.au/on-the-wing4...5F-%27wing.pdf

I will run some simulations next week and see if the LE flaps can expand the speed range, so far the reduction is of about 2m/seg.

regards

EZ
Edwinzea, I looked at his glider, and the idea I had was for a leading edge that drooped along the entire span, not just the outboard section of the wing.The idea being to convert the glider from one optimized for high speed flight to one for low speeds.
But I'm out of my league here. I don't have the math or computer skills to even understand what you guys are doing. My experience comes from just doing experiments with free-flight models and from building and flying RC wings on the slopes.
My flex wing hang gliders have curved aluminum tubing ribs that slip into pockets sewn into the sail, I can change the shape and slide them back in and test fly. But these F5 B and F5F Rc gliders are much more sophisticated than I am.
I find it very interesting that most RC fliers have the same feelings that you do about hang gliding. I've always seen hang gliders as model gliders big enough for me to ride on (or under).
While flying yourself is much more dangerous than flying RC, it is also much easier to fly when you are flying because you can feel the air and also feel the wings' response to that air.
However flying wings can be rather spooky in big air turbulence. There have been times when I wished I had a tail, especially a big one mounted way back behind me on a long boom!
Sometimes when exiting a strong thermal I go "over the falls", the air spilling out the side of a thermal comes at me from behind, this increases my angle of attack and reduces my airspeed dramatically. The glider is stable, so it wants to get back to a normal angle of attack and airspeed, and it pitches nose down very rapidly. I've had the outflow from a strong thermal come from behind so rapidly that the glider pitched nose down and all the way around to inverted flight, pulling positive "G" the whole way around!
It is quite disconcerting when this happens. All I can do to correct the situation is pull my weight as far to the nose as I can and try to get the glider to half-loop back to up-right flight. Usually when this happens (it's extremely rare event) I just decide to go land and have a few beers.

But anyway I am addicted to it so I have no choice in the matter. If I go more than a week or two without flying I get pretty grouchy. I wanted to fly today but I had to work. I hate it when that happens.

I hope you get well soon. Please keep telling us about your progress, and your thoughts and feelings as you go along. Those of us (or just me?) that aren't that smart can learn from your discoveries and maybe be encouraged to try harder. So please keep this thread going and I'll shut up about hang gliding.

Your friend in flying wings, Steve
Dec 29, 2010, 01:42 AM
the answer 42 is
Hey Steve thanks for sharing and good wiches of course. I did a couple of paraglider flights and it was really wonderful but I never had the money to get ell the equipement and instruction and when I finally started earning enough I got the felling that I should not do it, very strange but true, so I kept with my models. Anyway I love to play with the wind, kites are a long pasion of mine and after trying sailing I get more and more interested on that field too. I dream to build my own small boat

Well in fact the idea of the full changing profile already exist on full scale planes but I think is not really practical at the model scale, you need so many technical details that at the end it does not payoff. I am using profiles that can achieve those speed ranges with the use of flaps changing the camber. THey had been specifically developed for this purpose and had been tested in many planes in that way I try to take some varibales from the equation.

But it will be interesting to ask some of the airfoils gurus if they can develop something like that.

I did some small jobs yesterday but not really worthy of a photo, I hope I can get the flaps and elevons cut today.

regards

EZ
Dec 29, 2010, 03:57 AM
the answer 42 is
Here are some pics of my work today. Flaps and Elevons finally cutted and reinforced, next task is servo installation, maybe later today

EZ
Last edited by Edwinzea; Dec 29, 2010 at 04:02 AM.
Dec 30, 2010, 09:06 AM
the answer 42 is
Ok here are some pics from my work today. servos and extensions are installed, I added a CF rod to reinforce the wing. The wintips are cutted out in COROPLAST. they were calculated using the FW calc file from tailwindgliders.com.

SOmetimes I wonder if I should keep this blog, it does not seem to attract attention around here, maybe I am in the wrong forum :P or I should use a more exiting name

EZ
Dec 30, 2010, 09:11 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Keep posting, you are getting a fair number of views.
We are all just lurking to see how it comes out.

Pat MacKenzie
Dec 30, 2010, 09:45 AM
the answer 42 is
Thanks Pat, maybe once I post plans it will get more attractive :P

EZ
Dec 31, 2010, 02:54 AM
the answer 42 is
I was doing some electronics fitting today, the bad news is that the plane is nose heavy :P so even placing the battery quiet far behing it still needs some extra lead to balance it. Another negative point is that the change on CoG is very difficult to achieve, I will need to move the baterry up to 4cm to get the CoG variation I am looking for, about 1cm

I am consdering just to leave the CoG change out of the equiation on this prototype and if is sucessfuly flown, perhaps I will include it on the next version. the otehr option is to use a pusher power set up with that maybe the batery movement will be reduce but then the plane has to be launched with motor off, Iam not going to risk my hands with a 12x8 prop :P

I will keep sketching, and see what comes up

EZ
Dec 31, 2010, 03:50 AM
I think getting it flying first is the best thing to do Edwin, then sort out the variable cg. It's looking great so keep on posting....why is it gliders look particularly 'bad ass' with flaps deployed?
Dec 31, 2010, 03:53 AM
the answer 42 is
Hey Paul, well I got to the same conclusion while cleaning the house I will try it out and depending how it flies I can make a new fuse with the CoG variation system, I am also plannig to make a Slope version fuse, I think it will look cool on the slopes . now back to moaping

EZ
Dec 31, 2010, 12:41 PM
excellent, we'll get to see it fly soon then! will we get a movie?
Jan 01, 2011, 08:04 AM
the answer 42 is
Hey Paul, well I hope to have it ready for next weekend but we will see. THe weather is not too nice to maiden either so I am not rushing. Paul have you experimented with a elevator to flap mix on your wings?? I use it in all my DLG and electric planes but I dont know if it is necesary on a FW.

Now here are some pics of my work today. I cutted the fuse sides and former out of 2mm ply, I had used this material in other fuses and is light and strong. the fuse is relatively big, but is was necesary to first have enough space for the puller propeller and to balance it with the batery far back. One positive thing about this fuse is that has plenety of place to grip and launch the wing, I thinkit will also help on visualizing the plane in the distance.

Now everything is glued and wating. THe last details were also done in the wings and they are ready to cover too. I will be using a purple transparent Oracover light, but I am thinking to use also some other color in the flaps and fuse to give it more contrast in the distance

EZ
Jan 01, 2011, 08:05 AM
Just for your information, I have already experimented a COG moving device based on a sliding lead for a 60'' plank flying wing (Wihok).
you can read more information here:
www.rcsoaring.com/rcsd/RCSD-2010-04.pdf
www.rcsoaring.com/rcsd/RCSD-2008-12.pdf
Plank flyingwing Wihok 60 La cote Sauvage (Fr) April 2010 (1 min 17 sec)

The idea was to improve the behavior of the wing during sharp turn, by moving back the COG , decreasing then the static margin.
I design the device thank to XFLR5 like you.
I'm moving around 100 g of lead in the fuse with a simple servo. I add some coupling between the internal flap and the COG displacement to reach "unstatibility" configuration during the turn so the wing can handle high G or high lift without increasing too much the drag. The main conclusion is that XFLR5 largley underestimate static margin and it was difficult for my wing to reach the neutral point I was waiting for during the turn.
I can advise you first to test the wing without the COG moving device and when you will know more about the nominal flight envelopp you can add the COG system variable.
I will be very happy to share my experience with you and I'm eager to see your wing with the device, so keep posting...