This thread is privately moderated by haiduk, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 14, 2010, 01:34 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Thread OP
Build Log

Mini Hog

I've been busy getting some design work done.

Usually my design process includes building a model for RealFlight to test things like airfoils, wing incidence, dihedral, thrust angles, control surface size, etc. Once I'm happy with the flight characteristics in the simulator I can start designing and fitting the actual parts in 3DS. From there I can extract the parts out to AutoCad to lay out plans and set up templates to lay out on balsa and light ply or to set up G-Code for laser cutting.

This project will be a park sized sport plane with the classic lines of the AstroHog. I'm shooting for a 40" wingspan aircraft with a flying weight between 20 and 24 ounces. Should be able to power it with a 400-480 sized outrunner.

So far, I've got the model for RealFlight is completed and I like the way it flies. At this weight and wing area the flaps are really not needed, but they are fun. I've opted for slightly over-sized wheels for ground handling in grass.

RealFlight models:

MiniHog Tricycle version

MiniHog Tail Dragger version
Last edited by haiduk; Dec 14, 2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added the link to the RealFlight model
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2010, 01:54 AM
Physics hate's my ideas
Nice work!
Few questions

Do you design the aircraft in a 3D CAD program like Google Sketchup, Autocad, solid works... etc?

Also when you have a finished file whatever it may be how do you convert it? Or what format do you convert it into so that real flight will accept it?

Also how do you add the "control surfaces" and the "thrust" as far as in the game?
Dec 14, 2010, 02:51 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAce92
Nice work!
Few questions

Do you design the aircraft in a 3D CAD program like Google Sketchup, Autocad, solid works... etc?

Also when you have a finished file whatever it may be how do you convert it? Or what format do you convert it into so that real flight will accept it?

Also how do you add the "control surfaces" and the "thrust" as far as in the game?
I use 3DS MAX 2010 for most of my design work. Any good 3D software should work nicely. I use AutoCad for post design work like laying out plans and templates for cutting parts.

As far as setting up a model for RealFlight, there are a lot of good tutorials and forum discussions out there. Take a look over at KnifeEdge's website:
http://www.knifeedge.com/KEmax/
and
http://knifeedge.com/forums/index.php?
Dec 14, 2010, 07:03 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Great stuff here Haiduk! Good to see RF members making their way over here to the "real world".
Dec 14, 2010, 06:28 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Thread OP
Thanks Willsonman.

I updated the RealFlight model to correct some of the physics. I also added a tail dragger version.

-Duk

Quick Reply