CMP EP-C160 Transall Build Log - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by djmoose, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 13, 2010, 06:55 PM
C-Main Champ
Build Log

CMP EP-C160 Transall Build Log

OK, so I couldn't pass this one up when NP offered free shipping for a few hours on BF.

So here we go.

http://www.cmpairplane.com/EP-Airplane/EP-C160.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/c-160-rc-plane.html

I will be using:
(2) Turnigy G10 Motors
(2) Trust 45A ESCs
(1) Castle CCBEC
(2) HXT900 Servos (Ailerons)
(2) Power HD HD-6001HB Standard Servos (Elevator and Rudder)

For props, I have 3 options I'm going to test.
APC Electric 9x6
APC Sport 10x6
GWS 3 blade 9x5 (I might also order a set of the GWS 3 blade 10x5 as well)
Last edited by djmoose; Aug 31, 2011 at 01:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2010, 07:13 PM
C-Main Champ
First step is to glue in the Ailerons.

Here is one wing: (pic 1)

I removed the control surfaces and CA hinges to drill a small hole in both the trailing edge and control surface side of the hinge gap. This will allow the CA to flow easier. (pic 2)

Next I used T-pins through the center of each CA hinge to make sure they are centered when inserting the control surface. (pic 3)

Apply 2 drops if THIN CA (I use ultra-thin for CA hinges) on each side of the CA hinge.

The ailerons are done!!
Last edited by djmoose; Dec 22, 2010 at 08:27 AM.
Dec 13, 2010, 07:16 PM
C-Main Champ
Next step is to cut away the covering over the aileron servo compartments. Also, you cut away small access holes for the servo and ESC extensions. You are instructed to use epoxy to secure nice looking plastic grommets in these holes. (pic 1)

Tip: whenever I start a new model, I get a small Tupperware container to hold all hardware and pieces/parts that came with the plane. (pic 2)
Last edited by djmoose; Dec 13, 2010 at 09:33 PM.
Dec 13, 2010, 09:30 PM
C-Main Champ
Aileron extenstions:

I used 12" extensions for the aileron servos.

Whenever I use extensions, I use heatshrink tubing to keep them together. (pics 1 & 2)
Last edited by djmoose; Dec 15, 2010 at 06:46 PM.
Dec 15, 2010, 06:42 PM
C-Main Champ
Aileron Servo Hatches

Next come the hatches where the servos are installed in each wing. The directions called for the use of double-sided servo tape to mount the servos. I prefer using some wood to mount them to. So, here's what I did: I found a spare piece of square dowel and measured to make 4 pieces that I would glue to the hatch.

I used thin CA to initially keep them there and then used some 30 min epoxy to lock them in. (pic 1)

After those dried, I mounted the servos. (pic 2)
Last edited by djmoose; Dec 15, 2010 at 06:58 PM.
Dec 15, 2010, 06:54 PM
C-Main Champ
Surprisingly, there weren't strings inside the wings to pull the servo extensions through. However, it was a straight shot, so using a spare piece of music wire, I fished them through.
Last edited by djmoose; Dec 19, 2010 at 02:48 PM.
Dec 15, 2010, 06:58 PM
C-Main Champ
I've mounted the aileron servo assembly and have mounted the control horn in the aileron. This kit came with very crappy clevises, so I used some that I had laying around.
Last edited by djmoose; Dec 19, 2010 at 02:49 PM.
Dec 15, 2010, 08:00 PM
C-Main Champ
Next step was to mount the motors.

I decided to keep the ESC's in the fuse, so I elongated the 3 motor wires, soldered everything up, and braided them. (pic 1)

Next, I fished the wires through the wing (much like the servo wires) and mounted the motor to the motor mount. (pic 2)
Last edited by djmoose; Dec 19, 2010 at 05:53 PM.
Dec 16, 2010, 09:35 AM
C-Main Champ
Next step is to mount the motor pod covers. Being that these are fiberglass, I made sure I was careful when drilling the holes. I used my pin vise with the 1/16" bit first, (pic 1) and then went through again with the 3/32" bit.

Next, I held the cover in place while I poked small pilot holes into the wing through the holes I just drilled in the motor cover. Then, I attached the covers with 4 screws each. (pic 2)

I also needed to enlarge the opening in the front of the motor cover to allow my prop adapter to fit through correctly.
Last edited by djmoose; Dec 19, 2010 at 05:59 PM.
Dec 19, 2010, 02:26 PM
C-Main Champ
Next, I needed to drill the holes to mount the motor pod cover. I used the same process. I first made pilot holes with a 1/16" bit with my pin vise. (pic 1)

I then enlarged the holes with a 3/32 bit and then mounted the covers. (pic 2)
Last edited by djmoose; Dec 19, 2010 at 10:46 PM.
Dec 19, 2010, 02:49 PM
C-Main Champ
The next step was to run the servo and motor wires through the holes on the bottom of the wing and epoxy the wing halves together.

I was not able to take a picture of this as the size and weight of the wing (with motors attached) made it rather awkward to handle.

Here is what I did:
1. Made sure all the wires were run correctly through their outlet holes.
2. Sanded the inner halves of both wings to get some roughness for the epoxy to grab onto.
3. Mixed up some 30 minute epoxy.
4. Coated all surfaces with epoxy.
5. Held the wing halves together for 30 minutes while also using a small clamp on the "tab" on the front of the wing. (pic 1)
Last edited by djmoose; Dec 25, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
Dec 19, 2010, 05:50 PM
C-Main Champ
Surprisingly, the holes for the wing bolts are NOT pre-drilled. The Next step is to create them.

Here's what I did:
1. Installed the main wing onto the fuse.
2. Held down the wing in the correct position.
3. Used my pin vise and a 1/16" bit to poke through the covering over the pre-drilled holes in the wing.
4. I made marks in the fiberglass of where to drill the holes.
5. Removed wing, and drilled 1/16" pilot holes at the marks I made with my pin vise through the wing holes while it was installed.
6. Used a 9/64" bit to enlarge the pilot holes.
7. Inserted the 3 x 30 bolts into the holes and screwed on the blind nuts from below.
8. Tightened the bolts to "set" the blind nuts. (The wood that these go into is soft, so the blind nuts set in with almost no extra effort) (pic 1)
9. Removed bolts.
10. Applied a few drops of medium CA to the blind nuts.
Last edited by djmoose; Dec 25, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
Dec 19, 2010, 05:59 PM
C-Main Champ
The landing gear is next.

Now, you attach the main gear brackets to the wheel wells.

1. Drill pilot holes with my pin vise. (pic 1)
2. Attach the gear with the plastic brackets and the wood screws. (pic 2)
Last edited by djmoose; Dec 26, 2010 at 01:28 PM.
Dec 22, 2010, 08:12 AM
C-Main Champ
Next, you cut some small pieces of rubber fuel line hose to use as spacers.

Use one on the inside, and one in between the wheels.

Finally, use a collar with a set screw on the end of each axle. (pic 1)

(don't forget to use loc-tite on the set screws)

Main LG are all done! (pic 2)
Last edited by djmoose; Dec 26, 2010 at 01:34 PM.
Dec 25, 2010, 08:13 PM
C-Main Champ
Next step is to assemble the nose gear.

1. Mount the wheels on the axle and secure them with the lock nuts. (pic 1)
2. Secure the collar with the set screw so it's 60mm above the bottom of the wheels. (pic 2) (this will set the height of the nose gear)
3. Here's a pic of the gear bay with nothing installed from the bottom. (pic 3)
4. Now we actually mount the nose gear. Insert the gear and at the same time, mount the white plastic elbow connector. You then "lock" the nose gear in with another collar on top, and then you set the white elbow with a set screw. (pic 4)

Remember to use loc-tite on all set screws!
Last edited by djmoose; Jan 04, 2011 at 05:40 PM.