Dec 13, 2010, 11:54 AM
MPP
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Thread OP
Build Log

Fun Build 4 - Guillows 18" British SE5, Kit WW-5, with Aero-Werks parts

OK, Here we go, Fun time! Finally have the final grips on the Airacobra and just a few more things before it is ready to fly. So let's get a contest entry on the board. I "won" a Guillows out of production "British" SE5 Kit # WW-5. The Kit it's self is showing it's age but for the most part is all in tact and classic die mash parts. the plans show some yellowing as do the decals. Still for such an old kit it is still worth preserving.

Fortunately Danrc put up a great link to Aero-Werks Dave C who is laser cutting many of these old out of production kits. So I ordered a set and in no time I received very nice wood with a printed sheet id-ing the parts on the sheets. The wood is great and the parts drop right out with a couple of flicks of the exacto knife.

So before I knew it I was zipping the sealed package open and dropping formers on the board. Man I have only built one laser cut kit it in the past and I forgot how fast and nicely parts go together. Within an hour or so I had the fuselage done and another forty-five minutes and all the stringers done except for the top and bottom as I try to figure out the micro RC equipment to fit in the tiny fuselage. This is going to be fun and I imagine pretty fast as I have only had to make one part so far and that was easily traced.

My plan is to strip a used micro 4site and consider a full house. However more realistically a small outrunner and rudder and elevator would be the most practical. The wood is very light so I am thinking this ship should be well under 50 grams. I am excited to convert a small bi wing WW I fighter. This is a first for me as the only bi wing I have done have been FF attempts and a couple of static hanging in the kids rooms.

John thanks again for running the fun build, While I didn't finish any for FB3 this year should be better with a greet little FF conversion.

Mark
Last edited by MPP; Jan 22, 2014 at 11:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2010, 12:41 PM
Or current resident
signing on.
I can't imagine a Guillows going together that easy! Must be wierd that the parts actually fit....

I think the 4 site motor will be plenty of power for a 50 gram model. That setup powers my Trojan and Skyraider with more power than needed on a single cell.

Glenn
Dec 13, 2010, 12:56 PM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Mark,

This should be fun! My experience with Guillow's so far is that the former outlines as drawn on the plans are more accurate than the die-cut parts. If Dave's using the drawings as his source, his laser cut parts may well fit together better than the original kit parts.

Steve
Dec 13, 2010, 01:01 PM
Suspended Account
I knew that there was a vintage version of this kit that Guillows now laser cuts, but I was not aware that it was 18" span, versus 24". I love the SE5A, and wish I had added ailerons for realism, when I built mine. Still a good plane though. At your size Mark, the AR6400 would be a good candidate. I was thrilled with the results of using a diode to drop BEC voltage for 2s with a bl ESC, along with a 5gm HK bl outrunner. The little AR6400 will reprogram for a bl ESC. Are you planning a bl setup for this plane, or going brushed?

Glenn I saw your planes in FM. I wish I could get them light enough to power with the brushed setup. I did build 2 rubber powered micro, built-up Guillows kits that came out quite light. Of course, since I wasn't building for rc, I got the lightest, best grade wood I've ever had with Guillows kits. I could have seen them ending up as light as yours, with that grade of wood.
B
Dec 13, 2010, 01:19 PM
It flew once before...
Great choice Mark !

Funny thing with this years contest is I expected the "enlarged/modified" category to be the one with all the entries ...instead it is the "per plan" size ( a lot of small ones too )

Thanks for joining in !

-John
Dec 13, 2010, 02:46 PM
MPP
MPP
Thread OP
Hey Glenn, It almost doesn't seem right. Maybe I should take the Guillows off the tread title. Of course everything else is Guillows and that will have to be taken into consideration. It is just a nice break to be able to not have to sand cut break fix and redo everything. I am sure the Stuka will be the same. Don't get me wrong I still like to cut parts, just a little more instant gratification if you know what I mean.

Hey Steve, the parts are dead nuts. I can't really comment on the plan outlines as I just cut the out side and then mark and Dremmel the keel and stringer notches. Your right this will be fun.

Hey Bill, Dave at Aero-Werks does the laser cutting. Talk about a wealth of history knowledge with the Guillows kits. Here is a copy of the list he put together from Yahoo builders group:

While doing some research, I came across an ad in a 1938 MAN for Guillow. It seems that they made some huge models back then. Here's what was in production at that time:

Giant Flying Models

No.601 60" w/s De Woitine

No.602 50" w/s Hughes Northrop

No.603 50" w/s Endurance Flyer

24" Detailed Flying Models

No.700 Grumman FF-1
No.701 Art Chester Racer

24" Flying Models

No.181 Mr. Mulligan

No.182 Kinner Sportster

No.183 Ryan Sportster

No.184 Seversky

No.185 Consolidated P-30
No.186 Fairchild Warner

30" Flying models

No.191 Kinner Envoy

No.192 Rearwin
No.193 Stinson SR-8C

No.194 Bellanca

No.195 Aeronca C3

No.196 De Woitine

F Series 12" flying models

F-3 Fokker D-VII ( have Plan )

F-5 Albatross D3 9( have Plan )

F-7 Nieuport 28 ( have plan )

F-10 Berliner Joyce Navy Fighter ( have Plan )

6" Shelf Models ( kit #'s unknown other than what's printed in MAN )

No.1 Curtiss Hawk

No.2 Northrop Pursuit

No.3 Winnie Mae

No.4 Severshy P-35

No.5 Se5

No.6 Akron Fighter

48"
Kite Construction sets

K-48 Monoplane

K-48 Biplane

G Series

G-4 British SE5 20" w/s ( have Plan )

And last but not least from my personal collection:

Kit # H-19DC Lockheed P-38 Lightning 24" w/s ( own the kit ) C. 1940

From the same series known kits to look for ( kit #'s unknown ):

Curtiss SB2C Helldiver

Bell P-39 Airacobra

Hawker Hurricane

Douglas A-26 Invader

Boeing B-29 Superfortress

N.A. P-51 Mustang

Spitfire

Stinson Voyager

Curtiss P-40 Warhawk

Republic Guardsman

Northrup P-61 Black Widow

Hope this will help add to the guillow list. Any chance to add the list in the files section for everyone to see?

Dave

Few… now that is incredible. Have to keep a better eye out on eBay.
I think I am going to try to use the 4 site brick minus the two aileron servos. I have flown the 4 site and maybe it is the outside temperature but use more than aileron and it hits LVC hard. figure Elevator and rudder will do fine on 1S. I do want to learn the diode and 2s conversion though. We will see how weight enters into the picture.

John thanks for adding me , Fuzz did give me a Stuka blown up I think like 150% Maybe if I can get through the Micro quick I will give it a go. I also have a inclination to do a dual build of the two Hellcats Max and mini. Well for now the SE5 is good.

Thanks

M
Dec 13, 2010, 03:07 PM
It flew once before...
That's some quick progress there Mark ! You'll be flying in no time !!

-John
Dec 13, 2010, 04:32 PM
Registerd Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis
signing on.
I can't imagine a Guillows going together that easy! Must be wierd that the parts actually fit....Glenn
Wow - yeah.
Scary
Dec 13, 2010, 04:43 PM
Big gov never Works
Nice flying design, Mark. I built the 24" version for my (then small) Cannon Micro Elite radio. I think I have the plans somewhere, blown up to 48". Just a nice honest design.

Fuzz
Dec 13, 2010, 06:54 PM
It flew once before...
I must say ...now that I've thought about this a bit , but nowhere in my "collection" do I have one kit or plans for the SE5 !!

This is not good and needs to be remedied !!! Thanks for helping bring this to my attention Mark

-John ( off to shop )

Edit : The Rake IPS one is looking good ...but , has anyone built and flown it ?? Just read through Greg Knipps thread and it just stopped short of being finished ...( Can't complain ...as I've done it myself )
Last edited by jofrost; Dec 13, 2010 at 07:23 PM.
Dec 14, 2010, 12:23 AM
On the frequency now.
Dec 14, 2010, 12:16 PM
I'm in. Mark this should be a sweet plane.
Dec 14, 2010, 01:11 PM
Or current resident
I was thinking (uh-oh) that full house with the 4 Site motor might be fun. Bury one of the 4 site servos in the bottom wing at each aileron and connect top and bottom with a link. A full house mini,
This thing is going to have what, about 100 sq in of wing area? so even a 3oz (85gram) model is going to fly very well.
Glenn
Dec 14, 2010, 03:06 PM
MPP
MPP
Thread OP
Hey John thanks, Glad you are on the hunt for a good SE5. We are moving right along now but the holiday will certainly slow things down. I must say though the time savings with the laser cut parts seems incredible. No sanding the back side, no re-scoring parts, no recutting the notches, no reworking things to get them to fit. Whatever Dave did he certainly took the time to get it right. I have also just been laying the parts right on wax paper without the plans. Between his part print out and the plans there is no reason to follow the Guillows layout. Anyway Thanks Dave!

Thanks Fuzz, I sure hope this translates, haven't figured out the incidences yet or if it is a big deal on such a small RC plane.

Hey Chris, how have you been? glad you are dialed in, we have missed you here. Care to join the "Fun" build 4? I thought I saw some hints of an SBD. You can check out my last blog post for some pictures of the dive brakes. very cool.

Dan, my multi wing main man. Sure you don't want to give the Sopwith tripe a shot? He he he…

Glenn, great point on what this should handle. I must say i have had this 4 site out a couple of times and I am hoping that the cold weather is the main factor in it's poor ability to run the motor and more than one servo at a time. I have a 150 mAh battery that should do the trick but still I am a bit leery. Still planning on at least trying it. Now should I do the lower or upper ailerons or both with the vertical link? hmmmm??
Dec 14, 2010, 03:26 PM
Or current resident
Does the 4site have 4 ailerons? That is the biplane right?
That would determine if the servos can handle the load.
I would be inclined to make the ailerons scale size and use all 4, but I'm sick and will go to that much trouble just to do it.....

For an example of just how sick, have a look at the dummy engine I'll be making for the Parrakeet.....

My name is Glenn and I'm a scaleaholic...

Quick Reply