Winter Mini-Contests? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 13, 2010, 11:48 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Discussion

Winter Mini-Contests?

I'm interested in hooking up with a few SVSS'ers who want to join me in honing their skills this winter. As far as I am concerned, this would work even with only 1 other person so there is no set number of participants.

A few ideas:

+ Mini-contests could be every Saturday or Sunday, weather permitting.

+ Each week we would choose a different set of tasks designed to focus on a particular skill. A few examples are:

* launch-and-land only tasks (either using a zip start or a short field winch)

* low altitude add-em-up thermaling tasks

* downwind landings (within reason )

* etc

+ We could keep track of scores using a handicap system to level the playing field and reward relative improvement no matter what your skill level.

Anyway, if you're interested please post here or send me a PM.

Thanks!

Chris B.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2010, 12:05 PM
Team Hello Kitty
One more thing: even if there is a low cloud ceiling we can still do low-altitude work like landing tasks.
Dec 13, 2010, 12:26 PM
NCSS / SVSS Flyer
I like the idea and will make some for sure. We used to practice landings by doing 1 minute flights that start when you call it and are are in position and score backwards, seconds and landing score subtractions for a net minus from perfection. In the end it's all fun!
Dec 13, 2010, 01:07 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlopeRC
I like the idea...
Hi Scott (I think that's you). When you get a chance PM me your email address: I already have several others who want to be emailed the night before we have one of these mini-contests.

Chris B.
Dec 13, 2010, 08:43 PM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
Great idea. I will make some as well.
Dec 14, 2010, 07:00 PM
Team Hello Kitty
So far our Winter Warriors are:
Steve H, Bill C, Terry B, Carl V aka Juan M, Mike M, Dave O, and Scott W.
Dec 31, 2010, 10:27 PM
Team Hello Kitty

Winter mini-contest #1 results

Our first winter mini-contest was held today. Sunny turned to overcast by day's end with a brisk breeze and cold fingers for those without gloves. Great time, good practice, full results attached.

Contest format was three rounds of 3 minutes and three of 5 minutes, six total. 100 point landings. I handed out more scorecards but only 4 brave souls turned them in:

Steve Henke 6512
Chris Bajorek 6492
Bill Curry 6455
Carl Vega 6203

Great job Steve! (I used a scoring program I got off RC Groups so each round's time scores were normalized to 1000 pts). Carl had not yet finished setting up his new Pike Perfect so his landing scores were down (or so he sez ).

Special thanks to Scott Meader who came out to help and most importantly to be my timer and offer some great tips.

See ya next time we get good weather.

Chris B.
Last edited by SoaringDude; Jan 03, 2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Added Bill Curry's scores
Jan 02, 2011, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude
Our first winter mini-contest was held today. Sunny turned to overcast by day's end with a brisk breeze and cold fingers for those without gloves. Great time, good practice, full results attached.

Contest format was three rounds of 3 minutes and three of 5 minutes, six total. 100 point landings. I handed out more scorecards but only 3 brave souls turned them in:

Steve Henke 6512
Chris Bajorek 6492
Carl Vega 6203

Great job Steve! (I used a scoring program I got off RC Groups so each round's time scores were normalized to 1000 pts). Carl had not yet finished setting up his new Pike Perfect so his landing scores were down (or so he sez ).

Special thanks to Scott Meader who came out to help and most importantly to be my timer and offer some great tips.

See ya next time we get good weather.

Chris B.
Chris, I thought you won?

I think Carl was actually Bill in your scorecard attachment?

I'll be out for more of these, helps keep from getting rusty over the winter
Jan 03, 2011, 11:19 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Steve, you won because I decided to score these contests using a spreadsheet that normalizes the time scores to 1000 for each round. So congrats!

FYI I just got Bill's scores and added them.

See ya next time.

Chris B.
Feb 12, 2011, 08:27 PM
Team Hello Kitty

Winter mini-contest #2 results

Our second mini-contest was done to clear sunny skies with temps in the mid 60's. What a change from the last (cold) one. Today we decided to do four 3-minute tasks so we could get in some good landing practice. Times were normalized to 1000 pts and landings were good for 100 pts.

Congrats to Steve Henke with his winning score of 4315. Second place went to Bill Curry with 4255, and third went to Neil Nolte with 4206.

Great contest practice, thanks to all who joined in.

C U next time.
Chris B.