Nov 22, 2011, 12:54 PM

Accuracy of Physics

Pedantic digression:

A http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lookup_table just trades off memory use for computational speed.
The computation still has to be done, to stuff the table.

That's a separate issue from how accurate the physics is (and under what conditions: large angle of attack, low Reynolds number, supersonic speed, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stall_(...#Dynamic_stall , yada yada.) A total newbie pilot just wanting to master level flight at constant speed would be happy even with the accuracy of FMS. A Pattern competitor wouldn't.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2011, 02:07 PM

this is a great thread

Kris, tnx for the info on Real Flight, I am at times tempted to get the new upgrade to Realflight 6, they offer a heli mega pack with about 80 helis, some of which I'd like to have, however, like I told MSelig, before, "I personally would rather have one airplane that flies correctly then 80 that look great but don't fly well at all."... this is still true flying non simulator RC as well, quanity is not near as fun as that one airplane that you can really enjoy.

MSelig... thats a great idea! I think I will start the thread on Physics... It would be fun to see what everyone had to offer..

Thanks again Kris, I'll guard against the temptation from all the glitter at the LHS..
Maq
Nov 23, 2011, 01:10 PM
If sheer quantity of models is what a pilot wants, what can compete with FMS? That even has a flying DeLorean... "where we're going, we don't *need* lookup tables!"
Nov 27, 2011, 01:38 AM
www.michaelselig.com
Something cool here. We have a micro Sbach 342 electric coming soon, and it has a "Stability and Control Augmentation System" -- SCAS. This setup looks to be like what Horizon has in their new AS3X airplanes. Someone in another thread was just asking about this sort of thing for the Sbach 342 ... and the video shows it working in the sim:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6#post19980991

Micro Sbach 342 with SCAS in FS One V2 (1 min 27 sec)
Latest blog entry: Tail Sitters free download
Nov 27, 2011, 02:05 AM
Registered Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by camilleg
If sheer quantity of models is what a pilot wants, what can compete with FMS? That even has a flying DeLorean... "where we're going, we don't *need* lookup tables!"
hehe
Nov 27, 2011, 05:11 PM
No conspiracy in theory
Mike,
how did you make that vid?
Mike.
Nov 27, 2011, 07:20 PM
www.michaelselig.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorski
Mike,
how did you make that vid?
Mike.
I used FRAPS to get the avi file, and then Adobe Premiere to make the video.

In FS One, I turn off all messages (in options) to avoid clutter. Then I fly on a smallish window to capture the avi file. Another tweak for this video involved sizing-up the Tx and wind compass.

BTW -- The wind compass shows the wind seen by the airplane at any given time, not the wind at some fixed location, e.g. like a wind sock. The wind speed in the gadget shows how we model higher winds aloft and not much wind near the ground.
Nov 27, 2011, 07:34 PM

Question

I can not run version 8.? on my windows Home but version 7.? works fine. Will the new version come with all the files so 8.xx airplans will work? Will we need to down load new drivers ect files or will be download and fly like version 7.xx?
I like to fly some of the 8.xx airplans
Thanks
Nov 27, 2011, 08:55 PM
www.michaelselig.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack5
I can not run version 8.? on my windows Home but version 7.? works fine. Will the new version come with all the files so 8.xx airplans will work? Will we need to down load new drivers ect files or will be download and fly like version 7.xx?
I like to fly some of the 8.xx airplans
Thanks
Are you talking about updates 2.0.7 and 2.0.8? I'm confused w/ "8.xx".
Dec 07, 2011, 04:50 PM
No conspiracy in theory
Me too!
I've had fsOneV2 for over a month while I await my new rig, i've had to bury the box to avoid seeing it. But the last bits are going in today & I should pick it up friday!
I can hardly wait!
Mike.
Dec 08, 2011, 12:20 PM
"Underbridgebirdchaser...?" I didn't notice that before. Sounds like there's some stories behind that name. Out here in central Illinois there's not much need for bridges - if you look at the topo maps you'll see that we have only two elevations actually, corn and soy.
Dec 08, 2011, 10:15 PM
No conspiracy in theory
camilleg,
it's a recent addition, i've been flying fsx a lot lately and i seem to have an attraction for flying under bridges & what do you usually find under them? Birds, therefore i have a legitimate reason to do so!(In my world anyway).
I'll have to search central Illinois, surely you don't wade the irrigation ditches!
Mike.
Dec 09, 2011, 12:58 PM
:-) That's a common misconception. The ditches around here are for getting water OUT of the fields, not into them.
Dec 10, 2011, 06:59 PM

FS0ne

Hi,
Is the indoor 3d plane realistic ?
I am looking for a good indoor sim.
Thanks

Quick Reply