Jan 01, 2011, 11:19 AM
Thread OP
Brad,

Looking forward to meeting you and hope to see you at the lake with your sailboat. There are a bunch a great guys in the club and are there almost every Sunday from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.

Ed
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2011, 05:35 PM
Thread OP
This is cool, I can use my netbook travel laptop to program the digital servos. I found the problem not being able to load the Hitec program. Before you load it you have to disable the Firewall, anti virus software, and set User Accounts to the lowest setting for Windows 7.

Anyway here I am setting the rudder servo to Center and 30 degrees swing to each side.

Ed
Jan 02, 2011, 06:00 PM

Bobinsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Crowell
This is cool, I can use my netbook travel laptop to program the digital servos. I found the problem not being able to load the Hitec program. Before you load it you have to disable the Firewall, anti virus software, and set User Accounts to the lowest setting for Windows 7.

Anyway here I am setting the rudder servo to Center and 30 degrees swing to each side.

Ed
Ed...is that a mahogany runabout behind your beautiful Canterbury J? Was looking at some on ebay. I restored one back in the late 80s. It was a 1958 Chris Craft utility. There is a 1960 Chris Craft Continental 19ft for sale near me, but don't know if i want to tackle one again!!
Jan 02, 2011, 06:47 PM
Thread OP
Bobinsc,

Yes it is a 1934 Gar Wood speedster that I am building, here is the link on RC Groups if your interested.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993127

Doe's Bobinsc stand for Southern Calif or South Carolina?

Ed
Jan 03, 2011, 05:26 PM

Bobinsc

Quote:
Bobinsc,

Yes it is a 1934 Gar Wood speedster that I am building, here is the link on RC Groups if your interested.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993127

Doe's Bobinsc stand for Southern Calif or South Carolina?

Ed
Ed...SC stands for South Carolina. Retired here from Forked River, NJ y'all!!
thanks for the link. i'll take a peak.
Jan 03, 2011, 05:57 PM
Kevin Gault
Quote:

Ed
Ed,

Funny, because I'm having the same issue trying to install the Hitec software on my Windows 7 (starter version) netbook. Install worked just fine on my XP desktop 9+ months ago when I got the programmer, but figured it'd be a lot more convenient to use my new netbook. Tried your hints and so far, still no luck. Guess I'll keep trying.

Build looks great so far!!!

Kevin
Jan 03, 2011, 06:28 PM
Thread OP
Kevin,

Here are the steps I followed to install the Hitec program on Windows 7. Do them in the following order.

1. Go to the control panel and select Programs and features, then right click on the Hitec program and Uninstall it.
2. Go into the control Panel and select Windows firewall then select Turn Window firewall on or off then disable both settings.
3. Disable the anti-virus program that you have.
4. Go to the control panel and select user accounts, then select User accounts settings. Then set to the lowest setting. Remember the previous setting so you can put it back.
5. Reboot the PC then re-install the program.
6. Put all the setting back the way they were.

If that does not work send me a private message.

Ed
Jan 03, 2011, 07:47 PM
Kevin Gault
Thanks Ed, that did the trick. I never remember to do a re-boot after making changes....almost always helps.

BTW your Gar Wood is stunning! I'm just starting a Dumas C-C Racing Runabout as my first powerboat build (done a V-32 and Footy sailboats in the past). Won't be nearly as impressive as yours but it's a start.

Kevin
Jan 04, 2011, 04:49 PM
Useful Idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist
Thanks Ed, that did the trick. I never remember to do a re-boot after making changes....almost always helps.

BTW your Gar Wood is stunning! I'm just starting a Dumas C-C Racing Runabout as my first powerboat build (done a V-32 and Footy sailboats in the past). Won't be nearly as impressive as yours but it's a start.

Kevin
Doing a Google on Gar wood, I came up with this http://www.speedboatclassics.com/gar_wood.htm An unlikely coincidence
Jan 05, 2011, 03:41 AM
Gar Wood bought the Miss Detroit a proven winner from Chris Smith, Chris Smith was the designer and builder of most of Gar Wood's boats, Chris Smith was the founder of Chris Craft, I wounder why that Gar Wood boat looks a lot like a Chris Craft?
John R.
Jan 07, 2011, 05:25 PM
Thread OP
I made a template out of thin plywood for a double swing arm, after making a couple of arms I settled on the arm for the main at 4 3/16" and the arm for the jib at 3 1/2" then set up a temporary mast and boom out of wood dowels. I have the sail servo mounted off center to starboard a little bit. After testing, both booms move out to 90 degrees, with the servo moving less than 180. Now I need to get some aluminum to make the swing arm and some blocks to mount on it.

Ed
Jan 07, 2011, 11:48 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Looks great, here is a picture of a swing arm I made.
Jan 08, 2011, 08:52 AM
Thread OP
Millertime,

What is the thickness of the aluminum that you used?

Ed
Jan 08, 2011, 11:49 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Some scrap aluminum I found at my nephew's machine shop.
I think it's about 1/8", I will measure it tomorrow.
Jan 09, 2011, 03:55 AM
Ed,

I am closely following your build. Your Canterbury is going to be a really good example for me of how to build a lovely model.

Your choice of an arm and pulley system to operate the sheets interests me greatly. Would you be willing to share your reasoning in selecting that system over a winch system? As a newcomer to model sailboats I am always looking for the advantages (and disadvantages) of the very different methods used to obtain the desired results.

This is in no way a criticism, I am really interested.

Ian

Quick Reply