Dec 16, 2010, 12:33 AM
Ed,
Thank you for your kind words.
Yes, there will be a hatch over the rudder servo and mechanism.
I use a regular 4.8 kg.cm servo. Ounce inch I'm not sure. Seems to have loads of power for the application. I use the same type of servo for the rudder in my Moonbeam pond yacht. Its about 48" with a slightly larger rudder. No problems after one year in all kinds of winds.

Ian
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2010, 09:14 AM
Thread OP
Ian,

The 4.8 kg.cm servo converts to 66.6 oz- in. Thanks for the information, I am looking at a digital servo that has 83 oz - in. That should be more than enough.

Ed
Dec 16, 2010, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes
My sailwinch is a RMG from Australia. I set it up with a pole to the bow for a return pulley and a jib slot adjuster servo. It seems to work OK on the bench, and I hope that it will work as well in practice. here's a couple of photos. Criticisms are welcome, its easier to fix now than during sailing season.

Ian
That rudder servo setup is very nice. Can't get anymore positive than that.
For what its worth, I would think a standard power servo would have more than enough power for the Canterbury rudder. I use a standard Hitec servo to control the rudder in my Newport 12M.(43 lb displacement) I have sailed it in all kinds of weather and have had zero problems.(either control or longevity)
Ed, thanks for the info on the kit. I think I'm going to order one.
Dec 19, 2010, 03:35 PM
Thread OP
The shear planks have been sanded flush to the hull. The rudder tube has been epoxied in and the rudder installed. The rudder is a cast resin so to prevent wear I installed a stainless steal washer on each end of the shaft and glued it to the resin with CA, the washer is metric (3M) which I found at Ace Hardware. If you order the rudder with the hull it comes with a nice preformed bracket to mount on the lead keel, which I recessed into the keel. I put a small fender washer under the rear stainless steal bolt that holds the lead keel to the hull, it kept sinking into the wood.

I ordered the sails from Carr sails and they should arrive next week. Also ordered two digital servos with a programmer, one for the rudder and one for the sails, which I will use with a double arm. And ordered aluminum tubing for the mast and booms.

The boat now weights 11 Lbs 3oz.

Ed
Dec 23, 2010, 01:33 PM
Thread OP
Made an arm for the rudder. After I turned the barrel for the shaft on the lathe I cut a slot on an angle into the barrel so the arm will sit level in the neutral position; then I silver soldered the arm into it. I left it long until I figure out where to install the ball joint.

Ed
Dec 23, 2010, 04:49 PM
Very tidy build so far!
Dec 25, 2010, 08:34 AM

Canterbury J

Hi Ed, You are building a great looking boat! It is nice to see a construction thread on the Canterbury. We have about a dozen or so over here in the Connecticut/New England region and it looks like out in the California area you will have close to the same amount soon. We had the first ever regional championship for this new class this past October in region one. The boats gave us a lot of nice close racing and looked great out on the water. It is really nice to see a class of boat racing with traditional J boat lines and wooden decks while being affordable at the same time. We will be hosting a national Championship Regatta this coming August 2011. Hope to see everyone there........ Good luck with your new J. Canterbury J Class Secretary, Jeff Davenport
Dec 25, 2010, 08:35 AM

Bobinsc

Would love to build a Canterbury J but just lack the expertise to put one together. Would rather sail the boats!! I had Hans Berger build mine and what a beautiful job he did!! I will eventually have Hans build me a second Canterbury J. Sail at the lake every chance i get...almost every day
Dec 25, 2010, 12:18 PM
Thread OP
Aerominded,
Thanks for the comments.

Jeff,
I hope there is more interest in the Canterbury J here in Calif. It would be great to get together and sail with other Canterbury J's.

Bobinsc,
You have a beautiful boat. If you have some more pictures please post them. I would like to see the boat fully rigged and a shot of the servo setup.

If anybody has a picture of a Canterbury J please feel free to post it. I am sure people in the building stage would appreciate it. I would like to see different sail control setups.

Ed
Dec 25, 2010, 04:52 PM

Bobinsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Crowell
Aerominded,
Thanks for the comments.

Jeff,
I hope there is more interest in the Canterbury J here in Calif. It would be great to get together and sail with other Canterbury J's.

Bobinsc,
You have a beautiful boat. If you have some more pictures please post them. I would like to see the boat fully rigged and a shot of the servo setup.

If anybody has a picture of a Canterbury J please feel free to post it. I am sure people in the building stage would appreciate it. I would like to see different sail control setups.

Ed
Some more pics of my new Canterbury J...Bobinsc
Dec 25, 2010, 09:17 PM
Thread OP
Bobinsc,

Thanks for the posting the pictures, it sure is a sweet boat. I like the way you built the stand. I will build something similar so I can lay the boat down on an angle to adjust the twist in the sails.

I just received my sails from Rod Carr a couple of days ago, and the Hitec digital servos yesterday. I downloaded the software for the Hitec HPP-21 servo programmer, but it fails to run on Windows 7 and Windows XP.

Ed
Dec 30, 2010, 02:05 PM
Ed,
I see you are in So Cal, as am I. Where do you typically sail? I am just finishing a vintage M-class Cherio II, hope to have it out at Fairmont before to long.
Brad-
Dec 30, 2010, 06:35 PM
Thread OP
Brad,

I sail at fairmont park in riverside, Ca. Are you a member of the Inland Nautical Society Club? I was sailing an EC-12 but sold it to another member.

Ed
Dec 30, 2010, 06:53 PM
Thread OP
Finished the rudder servo installation. The arm is a carbon fiber rod with two #2135 Dubro 2-56 ball links. To connect the ball links to the rod I used a brass part that came in the #181 Dubro 2-56 ball link package. The rudder servo is a 6 volt programmable Hitec HS-6635HB digital servo with 83 oz-inch of torque.

Ed
Dec 30, 2010, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Crowell
Brad,

I sail at fairmont park in riverside, Ca. Are you a member of the Inland Nautical Society Club? I was sailing an EC-12 but sold it to another member.

Ed
Ed, not a member yet, but plan to join when my Cherio is finished. I am in Riverside, so Fairmont is just a few minutes away for me.
Brad-

Quick Reply