Apr 09, 2011, 05:58 PM
I plan to be. Hoping for a nice breeze. It was very spotty last week.
Brad-
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2011, 04:17 PM
Thread OP
I painted what was to be the last coat of paint on the deck, but it wasn't to be. I had a new can of paint and it was bad, it started flowing good then turned into a textured finish. So on Sunday I sanded the deck with 2000 wet & dry paper to smooth it out. Today I was able to put a nice coat of paint on the deck, maybe one or two more and the deck will be done. While I am watching the paint dry I started on the boat stand, it is patterned after the EC-12 stand.

Ed
Apr 19, 2011, 04:54 PM
Ed,

Sorry to hear about your painting woes but at least you finally got it sorted out. The boat looks great. I can't wait to see it. I may just have to build one myself.

Rich
Apr 19, 2011, 07:34 PM
Kevin Gault
Beautiful!!!!
Last edited by poltergeist; Apr 21, 2011 at 01:01 PM.
Apr 19, 2011, 07:50 PM
Only an educated guess, Ed .........

Thick (cold?) paint and/or not enough propellant in the can. Put the can in a pail of hot/warm water for a while, shake the upside down can well, and try on a scrap surface. "Texture" can also be induced by spraying "dry" (having the can too far from surface so paint starts to dry before it touches the hull).

Depending on paint - if an enamel and not acrylic or latex, usually you have to spray wet to get good flow out and gloss.

Perhaps one of these may be the culprit. Dick
Apr 19, 2011, 08:36 PM
Thread OP
Rich,

I sure would like to see you build a Canterbury J. Maybe we can get several guys with C J's and do some racing. Maybe even get Kevin to build a legal one.

Ed
Apr 19, 2011, 08:44 PM
Thread OP
Dick,

I am pretty sure the paint or propellant was defective. I brought it back to the store, the paint guy tested it and it did the same thing. We looked at the codes under the can and it was the only one with a different code. So I exchanged it with another can and it worked fine. I keep the paint cans in the house so they stay warm.

Ed
Apr 20, 2011, 12:32 AM
OK, the pressure is on. How many people in the So Cal area are willing to commit to building one of these beautiful boats, and get an active fleet sailing at Fairmount Park in Riverside? Rich, Kevin, Robert?
Brad ;-)
Apr 20, 2011, 12:58 AM
Kevin Gault
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Crowell
Rich,

I sure would like to see you build a Canterbury J. Maybe we can get several guys with C J's and do some racing. Maybe even get Kevin to build a legal one.

Ed
I'm certainly tempted, but I'd have to put a taller rig and bulb/strut keel on mine That's OK right???

Kevin
Apr 20, 2011, 05:01 PM
Thread OP
Kevin,

That would be OK with me. But you will have to give us all a 1 minute head start.

Ed
Apr 20, 2011, 05:33 PM
Kevin just needs to add an extra 10 pounds of lead to the underside of the deck if he wants a taller rig and bulb/strut keel. And no carbon spars! That will keep him honest.

Rich
Apr 20, 2011, 11:53 PM
Kevin Gault
All these rules!!! You guys really take the fun out of chea....I mean "optimizing".

Kevin
Apr 21, 2011, 08:58 AM
Onward and Upward.
This is too much fun! I love your boat, Ed. Thanks for sharing your build with us.

Randy
Last edited by CatManDu; Sep 16, 2016 at 08:18 PM.
Apr 21, 2011, 08:41 PM
Thread OP
Randy,

Thanks for your comment. The boat has been a fun project. And the painting of the deck is finally going smooth.

Ed
Apr 21, 2011, 09:49 PM
Suspended Account
great job Ed, I wish I could see that one on the water.

Quick Reply