Dec 12, 2010, 05:48 AM
ooooh yeah
Thread OP
Discussion

J-Power 50mm T-33 build

Ok here we go, I bought this plane from Hobby King late month and started building today. I will use the same power system as in my L-39 to begin with which is the standard fan/motor/esc combo as I fly in a rather small area and the L-39 eats up the are pretty quick. I'm mainly doing this thread to document any changes or fixes I do to the plane as I go

Ok onto the pics.
Pic1, contents came well packed, there is a kit in there somewhere
Pic2, protection removed, very nice
Pic3, cardboard collars holding the fuse in, these did a little bit of damage
Pic4, damage to 1 intake caused by the collars, there is some damage to the other but it's not quite as bad, easily fixed
Pic5, 2 horizontal stabs, good to have a spare
Pic6, stock elevator setup, lots of slop in the holes so both wire could move plus the servo wasn't glued in very well. Also it stuck into the duct underneath and due to the non-linear arc of servo movement, each elevator will travel a different distance. This will be changed
Pic7, servo sticking into the duct
Pic8, replaced the stock 'hinges' as mine were already ripping, used pin hinges, 3 for each aileron and 2 for each elevator half
Pic9, elevator half hinges
Pic10, sorry for fuzziness, new elevator rod, I bound both rods together with cotton and epoxy, then cut one Z-bend off and placed it back in the servo, 1 hole closer to the centre, now zero slop
Pic11, repositioned the elevator servo onto it's side, now each elevatro half will move equally as servo horn will not move side to side
Pic12, esc and fan location, all covered by the removable wing
Pic13, wing bolt locations, I had to deepen these a bit ti enable the screws to thread far enough into the plastic "bolts", 5min job with the dremel
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2010, 07:05 AM
killickb
Frenche, very good mods and some of these cover my pet beefs about these little foamies. When I put mine together (I have both the grey and the B/A T-33's) I thought, in this case why would I put a lot of change effort into an $80 foamy? So didn't! No regrets ---- yet!?!
They both fly very well, no noticable trim change with the uneven elevator travel, no lack of thrust due to impinging duct servo, hinge lines still quite sound, yanked all the servos and they seemed glued in well, etc. One model is standard power, other upgraded.
Not knocking your mods here because that is what is so much fun about modelling just saying the stock model, in this case seems well thought out. By the way no need to glue on tip tanks, push fit is fine --- you are going to use them, right!!! The T-33 has to be the best looking and closest scale flying of this bunch of little jets --- you're going to fly this one often so have many packs charged and ready!
Dec 12, 2010, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenche
Pic3, cardboard collars holding the fuse in, these did a little bit of damage
Pic4, damage to 1 intake caused by the collars, there is some damage to the other but it's not quite as bad, easily fixed
It never seizes to amaze me, that those packaging "idiots" go out of their mind to try to package it safely, (which is good of course) only to immobilize the contents with very hard and sharp edged cardboard... I mean it is common knowledge that the employees of shipping/mailing/postal companies (and anybody else who has his hands on business of transporting these things) literally throw the boxes around...(during sorting)

But then again, the boxes leave the factory stacked in a crate or container, and since they are stacked there won't be any damage. (strength in formation numbers, like the Roman soldiers 2000 years ago...)
The "fun" starts when the crate is opened and the boxes are shipped individually to the enduser...
Dec 12, 2010, 12:00 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
Here are a few pics of the "Real one" taken a while back. Its so weird that I am close friends with the owners of all the T-33s that J-Power is painting these jets after (Ace Maker, Blue Angel 0, etc)
Dec 12, 2010, 03:18 PM
I put the Sky Angel T-33 together rather quickly and boy is it a lot of fun. I haven't had the motivation to build lately so this was it. Lots of fun, not the most scale in outline but a heck of a lot of fun. I let mine stall in the vertical, it went into an inverted spin for a few turns which is exactly how my scratchbuilt 90mm glass T-33 met it's demise 2 years ago, and I panicked for a few seconds because I was only about 80 feet up, but after 3 turns it stopped and I pushed out of the dive to a level, inverted recovery. Yep, still got it!
Dec 12, 2010, 03:49 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
Yep, my 50mm silver one and 70mm Velocity version love to spin when you get them in the unexpected "unusual" attitude...
Dec 12, 2010, 03:53 PM
PSALM 14:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc135boomer
Here are a few pics of the "Real one" taken a while back. Its so weird that I am close friends with the owners of all the T-33s that J-Power is painting these jets after (Ace Maker, Blue Angel 0, etc)
AWESOME pics!!
Dec 12, 2010, 06:50 PM
ooooh yeah
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb
Frenche, very good mods and some of these cover my pet beefs about these little foamies. When I put mine together (I have both the grey and the B/A T-33's) I thought, in this case why would I put a lot of change effort into an $80 foamy? So didn't! No regrets ---- yet!?!
They both fly very well, no noticable trim change with the uneven elevator travel, no lack of thrust due to impinging duct servo, hinge lines still quite sound, yanked all the servos and they seemed glued in well, etc. One model is standard power, other upgraded.
Not knocking your mods here because that is what is so much fun about modelling just saying the stock model, in this case seems well thought out. By the way no need to glue on tip tanks, push fit is fine --- you are going to use them, right!!! The T-33 has to be the best looking and closest scale flying of this bunch of little jets --- you're going to fly this one often so have many packs charged and ready!
No worries, no offense taken , I built my L-39 bone stock, didn't change a thing and it flies wonderfully, except it rolls to the right when up elevator is added, I think I didn't quite get the elevator halves level when I glued the wire joiner in, and the ailerons are a bit warped but I plan to muck around with some TX mixing to sort it out. With the T-33 I decided to try and 'fix' some of the things that annoyed me, it may not make any difference at all but it's fun to muck around. Oh and the batts are already charged, I have 4 but I think I will need to get some more, the more I look at this plane the more I want to fly it

kc135, you lucky , those are some great pics! The closest I get to jets here is the ex RNZAF Strikemaster that does joy flights from the local airport, the runway of which is 100m from my back fence! I'm almost right under the approach to one of the runways. Every time the Strikemaster goes up, it rattles all the windows in the house, and makes me want to go flying

Ok back to the build. I woke up this morning to find that I had forgot to put a little bit of Vaseline on the center of the hinges before gluing them in , a little careful work with an exacto knife had them moving pretty freely, still a bit stiff but a lot better than the standard foam 'hinge'. Also I found that I had glued the elevator horns on the wrong way (adjusting screw towards the fuse) but that was an easy swap, made sure to put some threadlock on the little nut that holds ez-link to the horn. Other than that it is just about finished, will probably do the test flights in the current scheme then repaint in RCAF colors, need to borrow the rx out of the L-39 since HK still hasn't got the satellites for orange rx's in so my order (that I placed on the 23rd nov!!) still hasn't shipped
Dec 12, 2010, 08:30 PM
Im wating for mine too!!!
Dec 12, 2010, 09:31 PM
My BlueAngel'd scheme T-33 has arrived but I have to wait till the 25th
Dec 12, 2010, 09:52 PM
ooooh yeah
Thread OP
SUCCESS!!! The weather conditions were too good to pass up so I headed to the field (local park) to give the T-33 it's first flights (sorry no video ). After the debacle hand launching my L-39 I wasn't looking forward to the T-33 but I need not have worried, applied full power, took 1 step forward and a firm under hand toss had it airborne. Needed some trim (4 clicks of left and a heap of up, somewhere around 20 clicks) but after a few circuits it was flying pretty nicely. Just like he L-39 it will cruise at half throttle, but is much happier around the 2/3-3/4 mark. It's pretty quick at full throttle, not as fast as the L-39 (I suspect the T-33 has a lot more drag) but quick enough for scale. The timer beeped after 3.5 min so I set up for a landing, turned onto finals and cut the power to 0 and it just glided in, the actual touchdown was a bit rough as the 'grass' is about 3ft high weeds so they tend to grab the plane and yank it out of the sky, but no damage.

Put in batt no2, this time the launch was better as it was now trimmed. Experimented with loops, rolls and inverted flight. Loops from level flight are easy at full power, if you slow down too much at the top it will snap out but it's easy to recover. Rolls are fairly axial, not super fast (like the L-39) but still pretty crisp. Inverted needed a HEAP of down elevator to keep it level, I suspect I'm a bit nose heavy (used the manual suggested CG) which would explain the excessive UP trim in level flight, and the amount of down elevator to keep it level whilst inverted. Chopped the throttle earlier this time on landing to try and slow it down some more before the weeds grabbed it, didn't really work but again no damage.

Batt no3 and 4 were flown much like pack 2, with a few Cuban 8s and stall turns (well as good as you can do them without a rudder) thrown in. I think this has become my favorite plane, it looks so good on a nice low past (fast or slow). It doesn't 'wiggle' as much as the L-39 does which is good.

Also all flights were done without tip tanks to reduce drag as much as possible for the maiden, however I have no doubt it will fly fine with them, even on the stock power system.

Well that's it, I arrived home with 4 empty packs, an undamaged plane and a massive smile on my face, these little 50mm jets are addictive!
Dec 12, 2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the flight report! That's interesting about the CG because Don ended up running his 1/2" (12mm) forward of the suggested CG and said it was fine there:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...04&postcount=8

What lipos did you use?
Dec 12, 2010, 11:47 PM
ooooh yeah
Thread OP
Hmmm that is interesting, maybe since his has more power and flies faster the forward CG works better? I did check my elevators and the trailing edges are definitely up above neutral, but I did notice a small gap between the wing and the fuse so this would alter the wing incidence a bit. Batts I used were Turnigy Nano-Tech 3S 1000mah 25c http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11901
Only $10 but if (more like when) I order more batts I might go for something bigger, around the 1300-1800mah range so I can upgrade to some of the Dons motors and wemo fan, plus the extra flight time over the 1000's would be appreciated on the stock system
Dec 13, 2010, 12:15 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
don flew his with no tip tanks....they are verylarge, and even though they arnt wings, they do create some lift. id be willingto bet this is the differnance

on a good note...i picked up 2 airframes from HC. at 18 bucks a pop....i couldnt resist....i know they dont come with canopies....no biggie. i dont like the stock one anyhow. i plan to do a T-33 canopy, and a P-80 conversion canopy.......
Dec 13, 2010, 01:49 AM
ooooh yeah
Thread OP
corsair nut, I didn't have the tip tanks on either. Nice idea on the P-80 conversion canopy, but what are you going to do about the fuse? From memory it was stretched about 3 feet (which at this scale would be bugger all) so are you just gonna leave it?

Quick Reply