Dec 12, 2010, 04:57 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

RC the Arizona BB-39

Got the Trumpeter BB-39 yesterday, after figuring out the basic set up, start the building today..

The first thing is to cut out a maintenance access opening in the main deck.. this thing is rugged for a plastic ship... main deck thickness 3mm...
Last edited by cmpang; Dec 19, 2010 at 01:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2010, 06:22 AM
Are you going to make all the props operational? What motor will you be using?
Dec 12, 2010, 06:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by redboat219
Are you going to make all the props operational? What motor will you be using?
my plan is to run the boat by twin props only, on 1250KV brushless motor ... would test run with a pair of 28mm 4 blade prop to see how it goes....and eventually use a 3 blade prop...

using brushless is due to its easy of installation (no gear box), no motor heat and conserved battery consumption...
Dec 12, 2010, 07:13 AM
Thread OP
so here it goes.. drill out the new twin screw shaft holes, fill up the stock 4 prop shaft holes and its associated A-frame slots ... making a new A-frame too ..
Dec 12, 2010, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpang
plan is to run the boat by twin props only, on 1250KV brushless motor
Careful there.
I remember seeing a post about a modeler in Singapore who converted a 1/350 Bismarck to a twin BL set up.
Model would come out on plane and the entire forward 3rd of the hull would be out of the water!

Last edited by redboat219; Dec 12, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Dec 12, 2010, 11:13 AM
Thread OP
... when it comes to brushless, it is very easy to control the amount of output power you desired...

Unlike the brushed motors, brushless motor got a very wide range of KV (motor rpm per Volt) selection ... e.g. should I find my KV1250 motor is way too powerful, then I can easily change to a lower KV, e.g. 850, then I got 1/4 of the power...

The Chih Yuen I just completed two days ago is also powered by Brushless and the speed is just right, with a 8000mAH Lipo, it can run 3.5Hr contineously...
Dec 12, 2010, 11:26 AM
Wow nice boat!
Will you be posting a build log of her too?

BTW, what is the scale of your Arizona BB, 1/350 or 1/200?
Dec 12, 2010, 11:55 AM
GSMB Member
Quote:
Careful there.
Model would come out on plane and the entire forward 3rd of the hull would be out of the water!

That looks just plain wrong!!
Dec 12, 2010, 12:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Wow nice boat!
Will you be posting a build log of her too?

BTW, what is the scale of your Arizona BB, 1/350 or 1/200?
Sorry that I didn't made much record during my building of the Chih Yuen... here are some more picture of her...

the Arizona is the recent release from Trumpeter, 1/200...
Dec 12, 2010, 09:56 PM
Thread OP
props in..
Dec 13, 2010, 12:08 AM
With this being a limited edition and pricey model, did you give any thought of using the as- built shaft locations and correct prop size and just power two shafts? What Im trying to say is, you could have kept everything original and still powered two shafts. You Chinese battleship looks awesome by the way.
Dec 13, 2010, 01:59 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Congrats on your latest project, cmpang! It looks like a smaller version of Hai Chi.

Looks like you need an opponent to go up against your Qing Imperial Navy cruiser. Any word when our friends in Hangzhou will finally get around to releasing that Yoshino kit?
Dec 13, 2010, 04:39 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predreadnut
With this being a limited edition and pricey model, did you give any thought of using the as- built shaft locations and correct prop size and just power two shafts? What Im trying to say is, you could have kept everything original and still powered two shafts. You Chinese battleship looks awesome by the way.
Yes it was my initial intention to keep the use of one pair of the original shaft output location and fit the other prop pair as free running in order to preserve the look... However, the reality is if I were to use the inner location, the prop would be too close to the keel of the hull and so only a (too) small size prop could be used. On the other hand, should I choose to use the outer location, then it would look very odd for the prop to extended too far outward from the hull....

After much hesitation, I toke the tedious move to convert it into a true twin screw boat...
Dec 13, 2010, 04:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrmill
Congrats on your latest project, cmpang! It looks like a smaller version of Hai Chi.

Looks like you need an opponent to go up against your Qing Imperial Navy cruiser. Any word when our friends in Hangzhou will finally get around to releasing that Yoshino kit?
Thanks you Chuck for your good words. Sadly it seems that our friend in HZ has moved his interest to other topics of his modeling business.. Looks like warship is not a priority in his development department...

did I mentioned that I have switched my money on the Kirov to the Missouri? Surprisingly, the Missouri turns out to to an excellent kit with the best hull ever produced by our friend...should it not the Arizona comes to the market, at this time I should be working on the mighty mo....
Dec 13, 2010, 04:57 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predreadnut
Yes it was my initial intention to keep the use of one pair of the original shaft output location and fit the other prop pair as free running in order to preserve the look... However, the reality is if I were to use the inner location, the prop would be too close to the keel of the hull and so only a (too) small size prop could be used. On the other hand, should I choose to use the outer location, then it would look very odd for the prop to extended too far outward from the hull....

After much hesitation, I toke the tedious move to convert it into a true twin screw boat...

Quick Reply