Old Dec 11, 2010, 03:01 AM
Find More Posts by cheap daddy
Discussion

Dissappointed after purchasing FlyZone Super Cub RTF

Well, I'm only a few weeks into Electric R/C Airplanes and so far I have spent much more time dealing with BAD parts than I have enjoying my new plane(s). Today's fiasco is with the Flyzone Select Scale Super Cub RTF. My main frustration is with the design of their servo-to-control arm connections. They are way down in the fuselage, can't get to them very well, and the connectors just dont seem to be designed to get a grip on the situation, literally. The tiny little flat headed set screws, which you cant get to or put any pressure on, dont grab the control arm worth a crap. So, I was forced to digress to a drop of super glue (I know, the instructions said use blue locktite, but since the frickin box said EVERYTHING YOU NEED IS INCLUDED, I did not buy any). So, here I sit, with one of the servo connections all taken apart, with one crappy connector and set screw in hand and the other stuck together, with the horn on the table. The other servo is still installed, with the connection in place, but after seeing how poorly the other one worked, I dont trust it to last one flight. SO, it is stuck in the plane cause I can't get any torque on it to take it apart.

What a real pisser. All excited to go flying this weekend but the first Super Cub LP had ECU problems, that turned into ECU/motor/battery problems so I put it in the closet to wait on more replacement parts from Horizon Hobby. THey have been real nice to work with, but I wish I did not have to in the first place. SO, I go the easy route and go out and get a spare ($200) plane and buy a brand new Flyzone Super Cub - but it has a few dumpy connectors that ruined the build experience before I even got a chance to fly it.

What a rant. Sorry about that. It just sucks when you are told a particular kit "is a good one" at the store and then it turns out to be a real pain in the butt. Lesson learned!
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2010, 05:18 AM
Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Where do you live ? I'd be glad to help you if you are in my area.
I'm sure there are others willing to do so also....
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by gouda
Is it summer yet?
It sounds like you bought it at a local hobby shop. Did you try to go back to them for help? I would, most are very willing to assist new modellers.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by hpiguy
If it's R/C, it's all good.
Isn't Flyzone brand sold by Great Planes Dist, not Horizon Hobby?
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by gouda
Is it summer yet?
This is why you should get involved with a local club if at all possible. A person may find the issues are caused by some simple issue if a experienced modeller gets involved.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 10:52 PM
Find More Posts by cheap daddy
All is well now for the most part... On one hand, yes, some of the problems I experienced did happen, in part, due to inexperience. On the other hand, those same issues could have easily been avoided with only sligtly different/better components and perhaps a few extra connectors - all of which could be accomplished for about $0.05 yet avoid $100 worth of frustration.

As of today, I have figured out the Flyzone Supercub and can make adjustments as necessary. Except for not having any power to spare, and not being able to taxi or land well on our grass flying field, all is well. It flys really nice and I have a LOT of confidence flying it if the wind is not howling.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:48 PM
Find More Posts by rjp0325
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap daddy View Post
All is well now for the most part... On one hand, yes, some of the problems I experienced did happen, in part, due to inexperience. On the other hand, those same issues could have easily been avoided with only sligtly different/better components and perhaps a few extra connectors - all of which could be accomplished for about $0.05 yet avoid $100 worth of frustration.

As of today, I have figured out the Flyzone Supercub and can make adjustments as necessary. Except for not having any power to spare, and not being able to taxi or land well on our grass flying field, all is well. It flys really nice and I have a LOT of confidence flying it if the wind is not howling.
I have a super cub LP. I don't have a local club so I learned to fly with only the cub and the help of a simulator. The cub is a great plane for beginners. I even used it with a flip video camera attached for some aireborne vids. My biggest complaint is trying to fly it in the wind. To me the cub is like your first car . . . You'll learn to fly it, you'll learn to love it and when when you buy your next plane you'll always remember it.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by RC-PlaneFan
sorry to hear that
Last edited by RC-PlaneFan; Jan 09, 2011 at 11:18 PM.