Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:29 AM
Find More Posts by baconflyer
cheapskate extroardinairé
=( my shrike died today. I did 4 fpv flights (and 3 of those I landed with the goggles on) then turned off the camera while I changed the battery. with a fresh battery, I launched and climbed up to altitude, then pulled my goggles on. NOTHING. just a black screen. I felt the side of the goggles to check the battery plug (in case it had come out) and it was fine. I then realized I had forgotten to turn the camera back on. I pulled the goggles off, but the plane was nowhere to be seen. after about 10 seconds of searching, I spotted it, in a full knife edge diving at 45 degrees, ten feet off the ground. end result: cracked right wing, smashed nose where the battery squirted out the front. good thing my 90" foamboard motorglider is nearly done =)
Last edited by baconflyer; Jan 03, 2013 at 02:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:17 AM
Find More Posts by swartzracing
Aerial Operator
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstmark View Post
Flying with your dad is one of the best days. At least for dads.
I'm a dad too
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCut View Post
ha, i'd be lucky to fly with my dad, or for that matter anyone in my family!
Yea I'm 24 y/o and still like my dad to come out and spot me. It's also a benefit that hes a Electronic Engineer, so its handy to have him around. I grew up racing motocross and he loved traveling around being my mechanic and motivator.

Thanks for the replies!

Hope you all have a great year!

Cheers,
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:55 PM
Find More Posts by JimTMich
God is my pilot
My super cub ever improving
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by benderfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzracing View Post
Yea I'm 24 y/o and still like my dad to come out and spot me. It's also a benefit that hes a Electronic Engineer, so its handy to have him around. I grew up racing motocross and he loved traveling around being my mechanic and motivator.

Thanks for the replies!

Hope you all have a great year!

Cheers,
My father flies RC LOS, and he now had flown my Bixler FPV and loves it. Going to get his HAM license and set up a Groundstation. We live a mile and a half apart and I regularly fly FPV from my house over to hsi and circle around. Can't wait until we are both up FPV.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by Ecibob
B to the O to the B
One is a 450mm frame with ArduPilot Mega 2.5 and the other is a Carboncore 950mm H6 with Naza.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:52 PM
Aerial Operator
Penguin
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:51 PM
Find More Posts by Wrice4
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Quote:
Penguin
Very clean looking, I like it.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:18 AM
Aerial Operator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrice4 View Post
Very clean looking, I like it.
Thanks Wrice!

My first FPV plane was the bixler and i decided to paint all of it which was kind of a mistake since I didnt realize how much weight i was adding. I decided to keep the penguin clean. Let me tell ya this bird just wants to fly! I just had a PR going 1.5miles out @ 800 meters altitude with a 1.3ghz 800mw blue beam set and a 72mhz Corona RP8D1.

Im planning 900 meters high and 2 miles next flight.

Cheers,
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:48 AM
Find More Posts by IL76MD
fly it high as possible
Quote:
... and a 72mhz Corona RP8D1.

Cheers,
How are going get 2 miles w/72Mhz? It's risky business.
Should use 433 MHz for long distance or RTH at least on your bird. Do you?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by KillerCut
5 miles is doable with the rp8d1
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:46 PM
Aerial Operator
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL76MD View Post
How are going get 2 miles w/72Mhz? It's risky business.
Should use 433 MHz for long distance or RTH at least on your bird. Do you?
I have RTL setup on my failsafe through my fy31ap.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:12 AM
Find More Posts by Wrice4
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Quote:
Thanks Wrice!

My first FPV plane was the bixler and i decided to paint all of it which was kind of a mistake since I didnt realize how much weight i was adding. I decided to keep the penguin clean. Let me tell ya this bird just wants to fly! I just had a PR going 1.5miles out @ 800 meters altitude with a 1.3ghz 800mw blue beam set and a 72mhz Corona RP8D1.

Cheers,
I just ordered a bixler, should be here next week!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:57 PM
Aerial Operator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrice4 View Post
I just ordered a bixler, should be here next week!
Great plane to for FPV!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:29 PM
Find More Posts by ara25demayo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasi View Post
Sorry, here it is again, hopefully working:

I like your bird can you put more specs? motor tx sistem and wick kind of radio do you use?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:39 AM
Find More Posts by Hasi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara25demayo View Post
I like your bird can you put more specs? motor tx sistem and wick kind of radio do you use?
I have already written about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasi View Post
Well it is not so complicated. It first begun as an experimental plane from parts laying around, and with a kfm2 airfoil. It had some weird tendencies so I made a conventional airfoil, which made the trick. Now it climbs much better and flies longer. I also wanted to put an upside-down V-tail and some winglets on it, but I was afraid, that it would ruin the flight characteristics.

The setup is: a 24gram hextronik motor, but because the cables broke I rewound it (I didn't really think it would work, but it does!). I got a motor, that's not so powerful, but it consumes much less energy, a bit more than 5 Amps on full throttle. I used a 7X4 APC prop and some servos I also had laying around. I have built in as much parts as possible to reduce drag and rise efficiency. Here are some more pictures and the plans I made:

http://imageshack.us/g/1/9940455/
I use a Turnigy 9X.