Jun 10, 2011, 10:55 AM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy1pilot
PROGRESS REPORT

this is a fpv plane im in the proses of making and just thought id post what i have done

the first pic has all the details

A: flight battery ONLY not connected to any electronics just motor

B: electronics battery for the VTX and the RX/servos (using external UBEC)

C: hobbyking 1watt 2,4GHz VTX with IBCrazy's CP cloverleaf antenna

D: camera/ tilt mount (servos isn't hooked up yet)

E: 45amp castle creations ESC

F: ASTRO motor with planetary gear box (10,000RPM max)

G: 11x8 master airscrew 3blade prop

H: homemade fiberglass motor mount that clamps on with 6 bolts (fiberglass panel on the bottom too)

I: "fire wall" type mount with rubber washers in between the 4 bolts and wood to reduce vibrations (all bolts have lock nuts on them so they don't vibrate off in flight)

PS:the battery that runs the motor is independent of the RX/ servos and the Video link... in case voltage drops or i run out of power there will always be a strong link to the controls...

in the 3rd pic there is two panels made sitting on top of the plane, the on in the back covers the motor and the one in the front will be hooked to a servo on a 3 position switch and will be an "air scoop" to cool the electronics and motor... as i live in Michigan USA and when its cooler out i can close the scoop for longer flight time as the motor run quite cool at cruse

in addition there will be 3 carbon fiber rods to straighten the wing... the construction materials are 1/2" Blue Foam (for the wing), 1/4" poster board (for the fuze), 1/8" plywood (for cam mount), fiberglass/ epoxy, and some packing tape

Crazy1
yikes that camara mount looks scarry
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2011, 01:03 PM
What goes up, must come down
tushev

i purposely didnt add any rear sweep to the wing as i wanted the CG as far forward as possible.

i played around with the wing throwing it until i found where it bets glide at. i havent used any calculators yet so thank you for the link.

i have drawn a line where i think it should be but its hard to see in the pics as the electronics cover it up... but i will use the calculator and see how close i was.

ROCKY2

its all fiberglass and epoxy joints and there will be a cross bar i still need to put in. its a lot stronger than you would think

Crazy1
Jun 10, 2011, 01:34 PM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy1pilot
tushev

i purposely didnt add any rear sweep to the wing as i wanted the CG as far forward as possible.

i played around with the wing throwing it until i found where it bets glide at. i havent used any calculators yet so thank you for the link.

i have drawn a line where i think it should be but its hard to see in the pics as the electronics cover it up... but i will use the calculator and see how close i was.

ROCKY2

its all fiberglass and epoxy joints and there will be a cross bar i still need to put in. its a lot stronger than you would think

Crazy1
no not that if you go in nose first your cam is dead
Jun 10, 2011, 01:52 PM
What goes up, must come down
ROCKY2

yeah i know... i want it in front though so i can see everything and have a good tilt system on it... but i have thought about how if i crash its time for a new cam but i hope to upgrade to a gopro, so that will take care of that problem. its indestructible lol

Crazy1
Jun 10, 2011, 03:35 PM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
alright good luck
Jun 10, 2011, 07:35 PM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by areis81
here is my new friend. not yet maidened it, let's hope!

what plane is that ?
Jun 11, 2011, 12:43 AM
woh... really interesting wing you have there areis81. what are the specs? Do you have a build log? I'm interested in that parachute system you have there and how you keep it from deploying by accident.
Jun 11, 2011, 04:51 AM
RC Wannabe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKY2
what plane is that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard1287
woh... really interesting wing you have there areis81. what are the specs? Do you have a build log? I'm interested in that parachute system you have there and how you keep it from deploying by accident.
scratch build, i really have no plan since i usually plan it along the way! the specs are

1500mm wings
1450gr total weight with the two 2200mah 3s in parallel
central chord 32cm
wing tip chord 15cm
sweep 35.5 cm
860kv, 12x5.5 with 860kv motor and 40amp esc
remzibi, cheap cam on pan only
vtx airwave from cat-cam 500mw
two EK gyros for stabilization

the parachute is a very light painting film, there is a switch to give power to the release servo only right before lauch and deactivate it at landing. it release the chute only at the end of the servo movement, so it should be glitch safe. there is a smaller pilot chute to open bettere the main chute
Jun 11, 2011, 06:27 AM
And have you tested it yet inflight? be sure to make a video
Jun 11, 2011, 09:30 AM
RC Wannabe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev
And have you tested it yet inflight? be sure to make a video
not yet, going to maiden tomorrow and try the chute system during flight. going to film everything, too bad i still can't record the live feed.

forgotten: the profile is a zagi12, fattened a little bit. i needed room and wanted a more gentle and stable flight.
Jun 11, 2011, 09:36 PM
one thing before you do. Since you only have one and its on the one wing I'm concerned that it'll stand straight up and come full force down on the opposite side. How big is the chute?
Jun 12, 2011, 01:23 AM
RC Wannabe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard1287
one thing before you do. Since you only have one and its on the one wing I'm concerned that it'll stand straight up and come full force down on the opposite side. How big is the chute?
is big, like 2 meters diameter. i tried with a 2kg weight: it comes down gently. impossible to damage my EPP wing with reinforced tape.... i hope...
Jun 12, 2011, 10:27 AM
Navigator
So instead of landing it, you are going to eject the chute and float down? Or is it just for failsafe if you lose signal? Or both? Good idea regardless, I may have to copy your idea
Jun 12, 2011, 11:25 AM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by areis81
here is my new friend. not yet maidened it, let's hope!

NICE! I really like the idea of the chute. Great job!

Quick Reply