Thread Tools
Dec 08, 2010, 08:15 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Kenny Sharp's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

Alarm Clocks.....What's Your Story?


My wife's alarm clock didn't go off this morning....for some isolated and unknown reason.
We have been married 17 years.

She has owned her alarm clock since before we met some 19 years ago.

I have owned mine since before we met.

Mine has 2 programmable alarm settings....hers has one.

Both beep and /or play the radio.
Neither one of us is in the market for a new one.

Alarm clocks.....what a great buy!
Dec 08, 2010, 09:04 AM
Registered User
I have DOG alarm clock. Amazingly accurate.
Dec 08, 2010, 09:08 AM
Registered User
ENGINETORQUE's Avatar
Throw your alarms away and learn to wake up - this is not as daft as it sounds.

I have not used one for decades - whether I need to get up at some ungodly hour to make an airport check in, or go to work or whatever, I wake at the time I want to and it matters not whether I'm dog tired or not.

I don't wear a watch either and yet can tell the time within about five minutes whenever challenged.

Like most repetitive actions - you can train yourself to do this.
Dec 08, 2010, 09:11 AM
St. Boondock
FL Knifemaker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot
I have DOG alarm clock. Amazingly accurate.
Same here. I don't have to wake up at any special time so dog time works for me. When I travel and IF I HAVE to wake up for something, I use my iPad alarm. It works great.
Dec 08, 2010, 09:14 AM
Figure 9 Expert
Chompers's Avatar
FL, just make sure the sound isn't silenced. I've done that before-an alarm is mighty useless if it doesn't make any sound.
Dec 08, 2010, 09:14 AM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
larsy87's Avatar
I use my iPhone as an alarm.

I had problems with alarms not working intermittently. Turns out I was intermittently sleeping through them or shutting them off without waking up.

Best advice ever is to put your alarm clock on the far side of the room!
Dec 08, 2010, 09:17 AM
Registered User
ENGINETORQUE's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsy87
I use my iPhone as an alarm.

I had problems with alarms not working intermittently. Turns out I was intermittently sleeping through them or shutting them off without waking up.

Best advice ever is to put your alarm clock on the far side of the room!
Or if you're Buzz Aldrin - the far side of the Moon.................
Dec 08, 2010, 09:19 AM
St. Boondock
FL Knifemaker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompers
FL, just make sure the sound isn't silenced. I've done that before-an alarm is mighty useless if it doesn't make any sound.
Yes indeed. I did that when I first tried it out. You also need to leave the alarm app running
Dec 08, 2010, 09:24 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE
Throw your alarms away and learn to wake up - this is not as daft as it sounds.

I have not used one for decades - whether I need to get up at some ungodly hour to make an airport check in, or go to work or whatever, I wake at the time I want to and it matters not whether I'm dog tired or not.

I don't wear a watch either and yet can tell the time within about five minutes whenever challenged.

Like most repetitive actions - you can train yourself to do this.
I need my watch to remind me what day it is.
Dec 08, 2010, 11:12 AM
GTH NFL
Park_Flyer's Avatar
I have a GE digital alarm clock that I purchased ~1982. The only thing wrong with it is that for some reason, the "Slow" button used to advance the time when setting the clock or alarm, ocasionally acts like the fast button. If you pass the desired time, you have to stand there as it cycles through 24 hours again to get it right.

Regardless, as I have gotten older, my internal alarm has taken over. I am up most days between 0500 and 0600, so I don't set the alarm on a daily basis. On mornings when I have to get up earlier for some reason, I'll set the alarm, but I usually wake up before it goes off. A few nights ago, I set my alarm for 0430, to make a 0700 flight; I woke up at 0420.
Dec 08, 2010, 11:48 AM
Not THAT Ira
Real Ira's Avatar
Our cat gets a saucer of milk in the morning and starts pacing back and forth and jumping on and off our bed at about 6:30 every morning. Just to make sure we don't forget.
Dec 08, 2010, 11:51 AM
Registered User
Pudknocker71's Avatar
Internal. it's been going off a little early lately. Hard to turn off during the weekend. I always beat the clock. I swear I glance at the clock during the day at the same times too.
Dec 08, 2010, 11:54 AM
Really?
dll932's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot
I have DOG alarm clock. Amazingly accurate.
Mine is called Kathy. She's a bill collector and won't take no for an answer.
Dec 08, 2010, 11:59 AM
Registered User
ENGINETORQUE's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortato
I need my watch to remind me what day it is.
Yes indeed - now that, I'm not good at - working from home and living way out in the countryside means I often get the day wrong
Dec 08, 2010, 12:48 PM
Suspended Account
My first Alarm clock was an Emerson Clock/Radio that had Vaccum Tubes in the Radio . If you set it to make the Buzzing sound at your wake up time , that was instant . But if you set it to wake with Radio , it would slowly become louder and louder as the Tubes warmed up - it was about a minute delay from when the switch in the clock was activated till it was at full volume . Funny , now they build such a feature into them where the Radio slowly comes up to volume , they sell it as "soft wake up" or something like that


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool What's Your Latest Earworm? kit Life, The Universe, and Politics 95 Jan 01, 2011 11:04 PM
Question What do your Coax Heli's travel in? lerninmore Coaxial Helicopters 16 Nov 14, 2010 01:13 PM
Discussion what's your 250's AUFW? pitchp Micro Helis 5 Oct 14, 2010 03:01 PM
Discussion Lasik eye surgery - what's your story ClayH Sailplane Talk 37 Jan 19, 2008 08:20 AM