Best alternative to Deans connectors? - RC Groups
Dec 05, 2010, 06:43 PM
Discussion

Best alternative to Deans connectors?

I standardized on Dean's Ultra connectors since I started flying 5 years ago because that was the "standard". Then Hobby King started shipping all their batteries (Rhino, Tunrigy, etc) with Deans compatible connectors pre-soldered and life was great Now that they can no longer do that (thanks to Deans), it seems that there is no real standard any more. IMHO, Deans connectors are not the best because:

- They are difficult to solder without overheading the connector, especially with the thicker wires from the new high-C batteries. My last battery (Turnigy 6S 5000 30-40C) came with 8 AUW wire! Recently, I've had more cold solder joints and damaged Dean's connectors (from overheating) than ever before.
- They are difficult to grip for installation/removal, so I've always had to glue sandpaper to each connector to help my grip and avoid pulling on the wires.
- Twice I've had the metal spring bend back while inserting and shorting to the other side

So now I'm looking for a new battery connector standard and I only want to change once (lots of batteries and equipment to convert!). What are the best options that meet this criteria:
1. Simple & quick to solder without needing multiple devices to hold everything in place. Better yet, crimp like the Anderson Pole
2. Works with 14 AWG to 8 AWG wire. I really don't want different sizes because I only have one watt meter, charger, etc that need the same mating side.
3. Easy to install/remove but won't come loose.
4. Cost is not really a factor. Remember, I'm buying Deans today I'll pay more to have the confidence in the connections and convenience of preparation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Alan
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2010, 07:13 PM
The Great Santini
Look at EC5 connectors.
Dec 05, 2010, 08:59 PM
Not for 8 awg wire. You would need 8mm bullets.
Dec 05, 2010, 09:27 PM
The HXT Deans type connectors are back at Hobby King. Better than the Deans Ultra because of the grips on them. I was going to use the XT 60s from HK but changed my mind when they got the HKT ones in again.

Gord.
Dec 05, 2010, 11:08 PM
AMA #953123
I just ordered 20 sets of the new HK Deans connectors the other day. According to the website since Dean's didn't do anything to stop all the other companies in China from selling the clones plugs they would start selling them again too. But would be sticking with the yellow ones (forget what they are called. HX60?) whenever possible.
Dec 06, 2010, 06:00 AM
Dave The Geek
Andersons Power Poles.

I know this will spark the debate about soldering vs crimping.
Don't flame too bad please.

I just switched to them.
Here are my findings so far.

Upside:
Connect easily
Genderless and polarized you only have to order one type and can't plug them in reversed
Quick to install
The spring won't melt off from an ark of electricity when connecting packs (My deans connectors would often ark real bad and I would have to replace the male connector on some ESCs)
15A to 45A connectors are all the same size and all can handle the same amps (size determined by wire size vs total amps through it)
They have higher amp connectors too. (up to 180A)
Wires aren't stiff at the connector from soldering so the silicone wires can move. On my deans they often were very stiff at the solder joint and often broke here.

Downside:
You should buy a crimper to make sure they connect well
Real small wires for park fliers look odd with such a large connector and might be a size problem in micro planes

Dec 06, 2010, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave The Geek
Andersons Power Poles.

I know this will spark the debate about soldering vs crimping.
Don't flame too bad please.
No flaming from me.

I really like the Anderson Power Poles. Easy to use, much less effort to operate, and I really prefer crimp over soldering for the reasons mentioned: solder wicking, wire failure, cold solder joints. I was so frustrated over Deans that once I got APP's, every Deans I had was sold off/discarded in a heartbeat!

I use APP's in everything, right down to my 8oz park flyers. Anything smaller gets JST... and I may just swap them to EC2 eventually.

If you decide to go the APP route, buy your stuff from West Mountain Radio.

http://www.westmountainradio.com/con...power#PWRcrimp

They sell a fairly inexpensive ($40) crimper for the 15/30/45A APP's. Connectors are fairly cheap in bulk too.

Just a note:

Anderson designed the 45A contacts for 10-14ga wire. 8ga can be used, however the insulation may not fit inside the plastic housing. This is from the PWRCrimp manual:

http://www.westmountainradio.com/pdf/PWRcrimpmanual.pdf
Dec 06, 2010, 06:39 AM
Oh, and for the Canadian's out there...

Durham Radio (Oshawa, Ontario) sells the exact same crimper and APP connector sets at very competitive prices:

http://www.durhamradio.com/
Dec 06, 2010, 07:03 AM
Retired CFI Helicopter
When using 8 GA wire:
Pre-tin the end of the wire (flowing lots of solder)
Use a Dremel cutoff wheel to cut a slot in the end of the wire
Put the slot over the Deans tab so it spans both sides.
Solder it up (using flux).
Use the Vigilante rc soldering jig https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1326640

or use MPI #2818 Deans ez solder couplers http://www.readyheli.com/EZ-Solderin...c_p_36931.html

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-5.html

Stick with Deans Ultras.

Bob
Dec 06, 2010, 09:00 AM
blessings...when I went into the store to buy lithium batteries, then on top of that the rules are getting stricter for where an how many you can return.If you can come up with a way to resolve this...the line would wrap around the world!an that's because were all tired of buying batteries....your on the the right track....now start being the conductor of the rails of progress! blessed be

Last edited by Dino2010; Dec 29, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Dec 06, 2010, 12:53 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes500Bob

Stick with Deans Ultras.

Bob
The REAL Deans connectors. I have been using them and have never had an issue. Even when grabbing the wires and yanking them apart. There is a video floating around of the HXT knockoffs and the blade is loose in the connector before they were even soldered. I have never had am authentic Deans do that and have only ever melted one, because I had turned my iron way up and forgot to turn it back down. I have even re-used them and soldered them several times and they never loosen up. If you are having a problem with cold joints get one of the jigs mentioned and buy a new iron or at least replace the tip on the one you have.

But to answer your actual question, Powerpoles are great if the bulk isnt an issue. Thats why I stopped using them, had a couple of applications where they were a pain because of their size.
Dec 06, 2010, 01:30 PM
The Eh Team
I prefer shrouded 4mm bullets, which I run up to 100A. I've been using Schulze but I think I will switch to Hobby King because they are so much less expensive. The beauty of these is that, as with power pole connectors, you can run batteries in series and not need any sort of harness, because the +ive from one battery can be connected directly to the - of the next. I like the plastic shrouds because they keep the conductive bits away from each other and away from the walls of your battery box. I will never use Deans, EC5 etc because for these types of connectors you need to make harnesses.
Hobby King's version: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9283
(note these are the same idea as Schulze but not directly compatible)

I use power poles in all my low-power (2S, 3S, 4S, <75A) and for all my ground-based power between chargers, power supplies etc.

I've started using Traxxas connectors for arming plugs, I use one for every 100A of current (so for a 200A plane I use two jumpers in parallel). They are easy to grab ahold of. I'm not keen on the lack of a mechanical connection for the wire however; wish there was something like these that used a crimp connection. Power Poles are another good option but I think I'd probably want one for every 70A not every 100A, so I'd need three on a 200A plane.
Dec 06, 2010, 02:08 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eajohnson
I prefer shrouded 4mm bullets, which I run up to 100A. I've been using Schulze but I think I will switch to Hobby King because they are so much less expensive. The beauty of these is that, as with power pole connectors, you can run batteries in series and not need any sort of harness, because the +ive from one battery can be connected directly to the - of the next. I like the plastic shrouds because they keep the conductive bits away from each other and away from the walls of your battery box. I will never use Deans, EC5 etc because for these types of connectors you need to make harnesses.
Hobby King's version: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9283
(note these are the same idea as Schulze but not directly compatible)

I use power poles in all my low-power (2S, 3S, 4S, <75A) and for all my ground-based power between chargers, power supplies etc.

I've started using Traxxas connectors for arming plugs, I use one for every 100A of current (so for a 200A plane I use two jumpers in parallel). They are easy to grab ahold of. I'm not keen on the lack of a mechanical connection for the wire however; wish there was something like these that used a crimp connection. Power Poles are another good option but I think I'd probably want one for every 70A not every 100A, so I'd need three on a 200A plane.
Thats actually a pretty good idea. A friend of mine uses Stecker, which I believe are the same as the Schulze and he swears by them. They are a bit on the pricey side compared to everything else. But they are very good.
Dec 06, 2010, 11:29 PM
app you can crimp then solder.
Dec 07, 2010, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gull
app you can crimp then solder.
If a proper crimp is done with the APP Crimper or the PWRCrimp from West Mountain Radio, there is no need for soldering. The crimp formed by these tools so tightly compresses the wire I cannot see how soldering would help. If anything, it negates the chief benefit of soldering: wire hardening and fraying caused by solder wicking up the wire.

The PWRCrimp tool if a must if you are going to do APP's as takes all the guesswork out of crimping. You can be assured of a perfect crimp every time as the tool applies the correct amount of pressure and maintains the dimensions of the crimp and contact.

It's much easier to produce a poor crimp with one of the cheaper plier type tools. I really don't recommend them.

As for soldering, either solder or crimp... not both. And if you cannot afford the proper crimper, then just solder it and be done.