Aug 26, 2019, 06:32 PM
AMA 424553
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG
I have a "scrapped" Beast that should still have that part. I'll check when I get home and let you know tomorrow. It's yours, if I have it, Ron.
Much thanks R.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2019, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRHandy
Much thanks R.
You're in luck. I popped it off my scrapped Beast. Message me your address and I'll drop it in the mail to you.
Aug 27, 2019, 07:35 AM
**I'm Battman**
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG
You're in luck. I popped it off my scrapped Beast. Message me your address and I'll drop it in the mail to you.
Scrapped Beast???!

Roger
Aug 27, 2019, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
Scrapped Beast???!

Roger
Ha! Yes, it's a hangar queen "donor." My prescription to handle the trauma of this is to fly numerous Beast sorties, ASAP.
Nov 06, 2019, 09:26 PM
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...29#post2899739

Here is my build.
Feb 25, 2020, 03:52 PM

Beast w/ Sbach wing?

Has anyone tried converting a B3D into a monoplane? My Beast original wings are finally at the point where they aren't worth repairing. The fuselage has taken a few hits on the nose but the rest of the plane is very usable. I've accumulated enough parts to make a brand new Beast with another nib to spare so had the idea to make a Frankenstein plane out of the extra parts.

I'm thinking essentially all Beast except the main wing which will be from an original UMX Sbach. There was a pair of them available online for cheap which is even better in case I need an extra wing. Comparing it side by side with my existing Sbach 342 it should work, will need to figure out the wing placement, incident angle and CoG.
Last edited by dcrave; Feb 25, 2020 at 05:56 PM.
Feb 25, 2020, 06:36 PM
AMA 424553
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrave
Has anyone tried converting a B3D into a monoplane? My Beast original wings are finally at the point where they aren't worth repairing. The fuselage has taken a few hits on the nose but the rest of the plane is very usable. I've accumulated enough parts to make a brand new Beast with another nib to spare so had the idea to make a Frankenstein plane out of the extra parts.

I'm thinking essentially all Beast except the main wing which will be from an original UMX Sbach. There was a pair of them available online for cheap which is even better in case I need an extra wing. Comparing it side by side with my existing Sbach 342 it should work, will need to figure out the wing placement, incident angle and CoG.
Give it a try.
Feb 26, 2020, 07:40 PM
rab
rab
Muddle on
I cut replacements from 2mm depron, maybe 15 % oversized by cord?

- Allen
Feb 29, 2020, 04:54 PM

Beast/Sbach

Getting there. I used tape and the sbach fuselage to make a template to transfer to the beast.

After the glue dries Iíll reenforce the inside with flat carbon fiber as I had to remove more of the beast fuselage than expected
Feb 29, 2020, 09:18 PM
Well, now that you know ...
That looks pretty slick! Can't wait to hear how it flies.
Feb 29, 2020, 11:43 PM
Thanks.

I did a mock up of everything, CoG is where it should be. Hopefully no wing incidence issues and can do a maiden flight this week.

I fly my Sbach with homemade SFGs but I think initially I’ll try this one without them
Last edited by dcrave; Mar 01, 2020 at 07:31 AM.
Mar 05, 2020, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster
That looks pretty slick! Can't wait to hear how it flies.
This evening was able to do a maiden test flight, boy is she fast! Ate up the sky way quicker than I expected and was a tiny dot almost immediately after takeoff, seemed like I was giving about the same throttle as I would the Sbach. Fortunately she didnít need but 3 clicks up elevator and was trimmed, once turned around came straight back. At a distance the current paint scheme or lack of is very difficult to orient so after that I kept her pretty close. Thinking a combination of yellow and purple for this bird

The roll rate is pretty sick and she will hover. I didnít test out flying inverted or a knife edge yet, I want to do a few tweaks first. Definitely pleased with the results so far!
Mar 06, 2020, 12:33 AM
I"ve taken to hand launching with 2/3 power and then when its all stable and ready to fly, advance the throttle.
Mar 06, 2020, 04:23 AM
"The bug has bit"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrave
Getting there. I used tape and the sbach fuselage to make a template to transfer to the beast.

After the glue dries Iíll reenforce the inside with flat carbon fiber as I had to remove more of the beast fuselage than expected
This is impressive. I've always wondered how it would fly with its top wing gone....
Mar 06, 2020, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca11AC
I"ve taken to hand launching with 2/3 power and then when its all stable and ready to fly, advance the throttle.
I'll remove the landing gear once I've worked out the kinks. Flying my Sbach this morning I paid attention to how much throttle I give when hand launching. and was surprised at how little it takes. ~1/2 to maybe 2/3 into the wind and immediately into a harrier, then I throttle up once both hands are on the sticks.

Yesterday w/ the SBeast I had a runway to take off from. The first run was to check for major trim issues. Seemed fine so I put her back on the runway and this time took off for real. In addition to how fast this plane is, a huge factor why she got away from me so quickly was she wasn't turning well due to having reversed differential on the ailerons, the spare linear servos I had laying around are the ones with offset. Setting up at home I didn't have the correct size wire so bought some later and finished setting up at the field. There I realized they were programmed incorrectly and didn't have the cable to correct them so moved the wires to minimize the effect.

Probably shouldn't have flown but did so using mostly rudder to turn and reduced the rates on the ailerons. Roll rate was still insane but if banking right, the right aileron moves up a 1/3 of what the left aileron moves down it's seriously impaired the ability to bank. Will the bugs worked out for another round of test flights Saturday

Quick Reply