Aug 08, 2012, 08:27 AM
I had the same problem launching my T-45. In my case I was unintentionally making a bad throw. Staring at the plane during the entire launch sequence helped me make straight tosses.

By the way, my T-45 is now in landfill... My last crash occurred during a high bank angle turn while too low to the ground. The T-45's nose will drop in high bank angle turns, unlike the F-16.

My F-16 is in the landfill now too, due to more obvious pilot error. This plane is a staple for my fleet and I'm working on another to replace it.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2012, 09:18 AM
EDF Balance GURU and RC addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
That is why I launch them with my left arm. It feels a lot like trying to throw a football with your left hand ... At first. But it let's you keep your right thumb on that all important right stick, for immediate correction or input. Find an elevated spot to launch them if you can. Having a couple extra feet of altitude from the start can sometimes make the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Whiskey View Post
I had the same problem launching my T-45. In my case I was unintentionally making a bad throw. Staring at the plane during the entire launch sequence helped me make straight tosses.

By the way, my T-45 is now in landfill... My last crash occurred during a high bank angle turn while too low to the ground. The T-45's nose will drop in high bank angle turns, unlike the F-16.

My F-16 is in the landfill now too, due to more obvious pilot error. This plane is a staple for my fleet and I'm working on another to replace it.
The most important thing to remember is to give them a push instead of a throw. If you throw it they will spiral to one side. Take a look at the pix of me launching here. I only use my index finger and thumb to hold the plane and the others support the plane from underneath. You don't need to wind up but do need to give a good snap at the end of the throw...

Aug 08, 2012, 09:24 AM
Augermeister
Gooniac,

That's awesome! Thanks for the tips. I have the F-16 also. Will give her a try and report back

-Hawk
Aug 08, 2012, 10:08 AM
Good call Gooniac. My launch technique is as you described, I just kept calling it a throw. My arm does not wind back very far and the launch is really more of a chuck.
Aug 08, 2012, 11:28 AM
On my f-22 I under hand toss with full throttle at about 50 degrees. Takes off great but the F-22 has a big wing surface so it's an easy bird to hand launch. On my other EDFs I do as Gooniac suggested.
Gooniac, were do you fly in Sunnyvale/SC? Do you shop at AeroMicro?
Last edited by jl449; Aug 08, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Aug 08, 2012, 11:45 AM
I would say the Panther, Mig and A-7/8 are the only ones that launching in that manner would result in a nose up pitch, stall and flat spin. Not sure about the A-6, I don't have that one. The rest take the same launch as shown and work great.
Aug 08, 2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl449 View Post
On my f-22 I under hand toss with full throttle at about 50 degrees. Takes off great but the F-22 has a big wing surface so it's an easy bird to hand launch. On my other EDFs I do as Gooniac suggested.
Gooniac, were do you fly in Sunnyvale/SC? Do you shop at AeroMicro?
Those pix were taken at Rancho San Antonio Park in Los Altos which is where I fly on saturday's. On sunday's I fly at Baylands Park in Sunnyvale. Both places are a matter of minutes from my house so I am a little spoiled . And yes I always shop at Aero Micro if I can't get it online...
Aug 08, 2012, 08:34 PM
Right on Gooniac -- maybe I'll run into you at AeroMicro.
Aug 09, 2012, 08:33 AM
Flew my T-45 at a funfly this weekend. My friend got some great shots of her on a couple of slow passes. This jet is nice because it can crawl along or really move if you ask it to.
I haven't had any trouble Launching this one but my f-18 bite me a couple times on hand launches.
I am currently setting up an F9F, does anyone have any advice on how to launch this one?
Thanks,
Essar.
Aug 09, 2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl449 View Post
Right on Gooniac -- maybe I'll run into you at AeroMicro.
Yep! My name is Ray and everyone knows me there...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by essar View Post
Flew my T-45 at a funfly this weekend. My friend got some great shots of her on a couple of slow passes. This jet is nice because it can crawl along or really move if you ask it to.
I haven't had any trouble Launching this one but my f-18 bite me a couple times on hand launches.
I am currently setting up an F9F, does anyone have any advice on how to launch this one?
Thanks,
Essar.
Looks great!!! And yes it is a blast to fly! I flew mine last night and was crawling around at about 3 feet off the ground with the flaperons down and then blasting up at full throttle! I use 4s on mine and it has a greater than 1:1 thrust to weight ratios so it just goes up... Love this lil plane!
Aug 09, 2012, 09:52 AM
Augermeister
Flew the T-45 and F-16 yesterday. Both headturners at the field. One mod I've made to the T-45 is to flip the servo arm 180 and mount the horns on the top side. Cut a slot in the wing. I did this after stripping the gear on a servo when I first got it. Works great.

Have not tried flapperons yet. Great idea though. I do notice that just when I think I have her trimmed, I need to trim some more. Seems like I'm always giving her down trim.

Once people see how easy these are to fly, the intimidation factor of edf goes away.

-Hawk
Aug 09, 2012, 01:50 PM
Great launch pics Gooniac.

The important part is the index finger and thumb is level at the point of release so no twist (roll) imparted. Success depends on this.
Aug 09, 2012, 04:31 PM
By the way Photo Credit goes to CrazyJ. That new camera worked awesome!!
Aug 09, 2012, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by essar View Post
Thanks,
Essar.
Awesome pics. What camera was used?

Oh, the F9F launch......push straight ahead, DO NOT arc it upwards. There is a built in up thrust line that pushes the tail down. If you arc it upwards, it will stall and go into a flat spin.

JPower F9F Panther (2 min 41 sec)
Aug 09, 2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks Joe, you make it look easy. I love the video, now I am super pumped to fly it! Your roll rate looks ballistic! Looks like a nice flying airplane and you also fly it well.
I'm not sure which camera my budy has but it looked super expensive, I believe it was a Canon with a massive lense. He got some great pictures I was really happy with all of them.
Here are a couple more he snapped of my corsair.

Quick Reply