Jul 31, 2012, 11:57 AM
Augermeister
Gooniac,

Great thought on flapperons. I'm going to try that. Someone should make up a mock carrier deck and have a landing contest.

Cheers,

Hawk
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2012, 02:53 PM
EDF Balance GURU and RC addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47
Gooniac,

Great thought on flapperons. I'm going to try that. Someone should make up a mock carrier deck and have a landing contest.

Cheers,

Hawk
From what i noticed with this plane it will just drop the nose when it stalls without even dropping a wing. Up high that is fine but when trying to land it gives you no indication that it is about to stall. But if you add flaperons it makes it stall much later. And not to mention being able to practically hover in a headwind...
Jul 31, 2012, 08:09 PM
I just finished installing the aeo 50mm fan in my t-45, I also added an efflux tube and a 40 amp esc. The plane now weighs 16.5 oz's. I ran the fan on the wattmeter and here are the results: 31 amps , 350 watts on a nanotech 3s 1600 mah 50c .
The motor is 5800kv and the fan has 8 blades, I am a little nervous about this setup seeing as most 5800kv motors turn 3 or 4 blade fans. I will fly it tomorrow weather permitting. Has anyone tried this setup. I like to know what others thought of the aeo fans. Thanks,

Essar
Jul 31, 2012, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by essar
I just finished installing the aeo 50mm fan in my t-45, I also added an efflux tube and a 40 amp esc. The plane now weighs 16.5 oz's. I ran the fan on the wattmeter and here are the results: 31 amps , 350 watts on a nanotech 3s 1600 mah 50c .
The motor is 5800kv and the fan has 8 blades, I am a little nervous about this setup seeing as most 5800kv motors turn 3 or 4 blade fans. I will fly it tomorrow weather permitting. Has anyone tried this setup. I like to know what others thought of the aeo fans. Thanks,

Essar
Your figures are spot on with what I measured. I happen to like AEO fans for certain purposes. They produce great static thrust, they make great noises, they are just amp hungry. If you have the airframe that can carry the lipos, they are a good choice if you want that nice whoosh sound rather than sounding like a dentist drill on steriods.
Jul 31, 2012, 08:50 PM
Yeah my flight times are gonna be pathetic. I might try to put a 5 bladder on it if it really drains the packs too fast.
Jul 31, 2012, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Yeah my flight times are gonna be pathetic. I might try to put a 5 bladder on it if it really drains the packs too fast.
You will however, be able to use a little less throttle to maintain good thrust, but speed won't be quite as fast. It all depends on what your ultimate goals are. Of course, you could always just get more lipos for increased flight time.
Jul 31, 2012, 09:02 PM
Quote:
With a 1300mah, it flew WOT for 2mins only. and don't expect it to be very fast
Last edited by www.hobbyb.com; Jul 31, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
Jul 31, 2012, 09:08 PM
FireHawx
Those AEO fans just don't make sense on these little 50's??? They just can't carry the packs to make them useful.
Jul 31, 2012, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawx
Those AEO fans just don't make sense on these little 50's??? They just can't carry the packs to make them useful.
I hear what you are saying, it all depends on the desired results. If someone wants to pin the throttle wide open for the whole flight and only cares about the speed, then the AEO fans are not the best choice. In my case, I probably have 40 EDFs in service at any point in time. Some are purpose built for speed, others are built for scale fly by passes like what you would see in a full scale airshow. Some are built just for sound and the coolness factor. Some are built for low amp draw and long flight times. The biggest problem is that I haven't found a singe fan and motor combo that accomplishes all those qualities built into one.
Aug 01, 2012, 06:06 AM
I flew the t45 this morning, it flew well but I got a little low on a pass and caught a wing tip and ended my fun prematurely. It was a whole lot faster than the HK alloy fan I had in it and it sounded really really good. I will see tonight what I took out of the pack.
I really think that this unit with a 5 blade would be a really nice combo.
I know just running it up on the wattmeter 3 times took out 340mah so I assume I might get 3 minute flight times on my 1600mah pack with throttle management.
Aug 01, 2012, 09:41 AM
EDF Balance GURU and RC addict
Quote:

Essar
Good job! I have 2 of these fans and the main reason why I got them was for their sound. And they make lots of thrust at low throttle settings too. You need not blast around and full throttle the whole time. When you do they drain the batteries quick. But you can cruise around at half throttle or less with no issues.

Also there is a fellow flyer at my field with an 8blade fan with a 4300kv motor and it is only pulling 32 amps on 4s.... And the little F/A-18 is screaming fast!!
Aug 01, 2012, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33
the main reason why I got them was for their sound. And they make lots of thrust at low throttle settings too. You need not blast around and full throttle the whole time. When you do they drain the batteries quick. But you can cruise around at half throttle or less with no issues.

Also there is a fellow flyer at my field with an 8blade fan with a 4300kv motor and it is only pulling 32 amps on 4s.... And the little F/A-18 is screaming fast!!
Exactly.
Aug 01, 2012, 11:06 AM
Hey Joe, I love those afterburner lights, they look sweet!
Aug 01, 2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Hey Joe, I love those afterburner lights, they look sweet!
I appreciate it! Photos just don't do them justice either. In person they are pretty bright.

Keep in mind, this is a daytime shot......evening time / sunset is like watching a miniature sun in the exhaust.

I sure wish JPower would do a twin 50mm SR-71.......I would be all over that one.
Aug 01, 2012, 11:41 AM
Has Sloped Off
Hi all just had my F9 out for a blast in wind way too much but had 1/2 hour to kill....had some blowback on the elevators with them looong wires so made a quick mod from 2 swing keepers cut down and a short piece of wire pushed through the fin like this.

Had quick test fly and elevator is now solid..... took all of 2 mins.

Mind you will leave the 20mph winds for my slope soarers as the F9 looked all wrong hovering..........lol

Dave

Quick Reply