Dec 02, 2010, 09:28 PM
G_T
G_T
Thread OP
Discussion

Zone V2 for 2011

Hello Everyone,

My new DLG wing airfoil series for 2011 is completed. At least as completed as it can be without pilot feedback! This series was designed to have Zone-like characteristics, but to be more pilot friendly and to handle strong turbulence better. Theoretically those goals are met. By popular demand, the series is called Zone-V2. I was looking for other names but people wanted it this way... Really the series are not all that related except that some of the design goals were the same. In particular, it is designed to be able to cover lots of air very quickly.

Gerald Taylor

Series development thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1321967
Before development discussions: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1279622
Moldie reference design thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1568108
Last edited by G_T; Jan 07, 2012 at 03:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2010, 09:34 PM
G_T
G_T
Thread OP
Here are the foils. All are presented in speed camber. Starting guesstimates for camber are 2 degrees for cruise and 4 degrees for float. Whether or not greater than 4 degrees works well, as it often does with the Zone series but not so well with the Edge series, remains to be seen.

Gerald

PS - The "20" foil is not quite as smooth as it should be, but it is smooth enough for real world work. I didn't want to go back and fix it, as that would change it from what I modeled.

PPS - Hingeline at 70%.

PPPS - Those that are familiar with my work know, but for others, the "60", "40", and "20" in the foil names designate the Re*sqrt(Cl) that the foils were optimized for. For DLG use, the "60" is a root foil and the "20" is a tip foil.

PPPPS - I forgot to add that these are free for use, commercial or otherwise! I would be interested in hearing about projects that use them, as feedback helps guide future work.

P^5S - *** I do believe someone hinted it to me, but I missed the significance. A couple people noticed, but didn't bring it to my attention... The Zone-V2-40 dat file contains a region on the bottom near the back which does not contain any data points. That region is very flat, so the loss does not distort the foil. I do not know how it ended up that way, though it is likely because of the lack of curvature which means no points are required. This can cause trouble with some CNC hotwire cutters. If you have trouble cutting this foil, use the -151 version. I do not look at the coordinates so I had not noticed... I apologize for that. Since this is the foil that was used in all the analysis and design work, I will not be making an update. The foil is actually correct, just strange. See: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=168
Last edited by G_T; Feb 15, 2011 at 08:13 PM.
Dec 03, 2010, 12:29 AM
Aurora Builder
Nice work! Any plan forms or are you suggesting the Zone plan form for these?
Dec 03, 2010, 12:30 AM
He mentioned he'll be releasing a 2p wing for the new series soon in another thread I believe
Dec 03, 2010, 01:19 AM
G_T
G_T
Thread OP
The Zone planform would not be a good idea with this one. The Edge-2P is actually closer, but still not a great fit. I'll release a 2P design when I get one done. It might happen tomorrow night, but in any event it should be this weekend. I'll put it in this thread.

Gerald
Dec 03, 2010, 02:50 AM
G_T
G_T
Thread OP
Here is a reference design for a 2P wing using the new foils. I do not recommend going narrower than this at the tips. Slightly wider or slightly more washed out is ok, if one wants reduced possibility of stalling an inner tip on really tight thermal turns. But the reference design here is likely ok.

One should use the technique described in the Edge threads of masking off an area around the panel break and block sanding across masking tape to fairly accurately blend the joint out. It is well worth doing.

Gerald

***** There has been some confusion here. This is a 2 panel wing! The tip "panels" are just there to show roughly the trimming shape. Trim a smooth curve that passes through these points in the tip region and the shape will be pretty good. Some sanding required after trimming the tip panel's tip, of course.
Last edited by G_T; Mar 23, 2011 at 09:50 PM.
Dec 03, 2010, 02:56 AM
G_T
G_T
Thread OP
For that wing design, one can use the original Edge-2P tail design. The vertical might not need the extra area I've been recommending for the Edge designs since the tips are narrower on the Zone-V2-2P wing. If one wants to use the Freak-Horizontal for a hinged rather than full flying setup, then increase the area of the horizontal SLIGHTLY, perhaps 1/8" of chord full span.

Gerald
Dec 03, 2010, 03:23 AM
Hello,

my Pod will get a flat ( with dihedral) where the wing is mounted.
What angle of attack should i choose for that flat, regarding to the boom ( axis or preferable top of boom ( golfmandrel))
gonna go with Zone V2.

Thanks for the work GT.

punky
Dec 03, 2010, 06:46 AM

New Zone 2P Planform

Thanks for the 2P Zone planform Gerald. Been watching the Zone and Edge developments with keen interest. It's such a pleasure to "bump" people so willing to give to others.
A lot of the technical aspects go straight over my head and I dont feel qualified to question but I imported the planform into Auto CAD and traced the outline. I generate my mylar shapes, foam blocking, tip shaping templates etc. from here. A bit of massaging and I've got something thats very close to the image however, it differs quite a lot from the accompanying table. Biggest discrepency is at the first break where the offset is given as 19mm - the traced drawing gives 25mm. The other differences are smaller but perhaps significant. Maybe I'm wrong and the image is only a representation but I felt obliged to bring it up and perhaps save someone doing a lot of redundant work.
I'm attaching a jpg. of my drawing to illustrate - if its wrong I'll disgard it and work from the table. If its right and anyone wants a copy in dxf. or dwg. format I'll be happy to post.
Again Gerald, thanks for the journey.

Mark
Dec 03, 2010, 09:57 AM

2 or 4P wing?

Might be a silly question: But isn't that planform a 4p wing? I believe I see 4 segments there... Which profile is used for which panel?

Klaus
Dec 03, 2010, 10:58 AM
I'm sure Gerald will elaborate at some stage but I'll probably do it as 2 panels and a seperate tip panel - otherwise there is to much to do to reinstate (try and reinstate) the airfoil at the tip.
Dec 03, 2010, 11:34 AM

Cores

Who needs cores? I can cut them on my CNC machine. I have access to Hi Load 60 or the 25

I had a source for Hi Load 60 but when I called they no longer have it or stock it. Sorry I am curently looking for one.

Traian
Last edited by TDM30076; Jul 06, 2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Foam availability
Dec 03, 2010, 12:21 PM
G_T
G_T
Thread OP
The confusion in the planform is most likely due to perspective. The picture I posted in #7 with the wing in color is a top view with the wing at a high angle of attack. Since there is dihedral, the tips have moved back... In reality, the hingeline sweeps forwards somewhat. The dimensions in the table I provided should be correct.

The design is for a two panel design. I just included two tip stations to give an idea of the shaping of the tips.

Now of course one can do whatever one wants on the design! One doesn't have to follow what I suggest!

Gerald
Last edited by G_T; Dec 03, 2010 at 09:57 PM.
Dec 03, 2010, 10:14 PM
G_T
G_T
Thread OP
Here is what the wing looks like when smoothed at the joints using the tape method. As one can see, even two panels looks pretty good.

Gerald

Quick Reply