Dec 02, 2010, 05:43 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Charge to Storage Voltage or Discharge to Storage Voltage??

Guys,

I have a few packs that I need to put into storage. I am curious, is there a difference between:

1) Charge a pack to full capacity then discharge it back to storage voltage?

and

2) Discharge a pack then charge it back to storage voltage?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2010, 06:11 AM
AMA #953123
There would be no reason to do #1 unless it started raining and you couldn't go after charging batteries up. If the pack is low, charge it to storage. If its charged, discharge it to storage.
Dec 02, 2010, 06:40 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganymede
Guys,

I have a few packs that I need to put into storage. I am curious, is there a difference between:

1) Charge a pack to full capacity then discharge it back to storage voltage?

and

2) Discharge a pack then charge it back to storage voltage?
Not much difference between them: Both are stupid. If it's above discharge it to storage voltage. If it's below, charge it. You're just wasting time and cycles by fully charging and then discharging or discharging and then charging.
Dec 02, 2010, 07:10 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Agreed on the above, just charge to storage if low and discharge to storage if high....
Dec 02, 2010, 08:37 AM
Southern Pride
Discharging to 3.8 from 4.2 ,charging to 3.8 from 3.3-3.7 should not really be considered a cycle.

More: What a normal cycle consist of is charged to full and dischached to empty.
Example would be a deep cycle battery which gets charged then discharged to 20% remaining capacity ( like a well managed LiPoly). Averge life for many used like thus is 300 cycles.

Take the same deep cycle charge it , discharge it only 30% ,charge and repeat and it will last 1,200-1,500 cycles or more.

Point is do not confuse a cherge or discharge to storage as a normal useage cycle. One would grow old amd weary cyclimng a LiPolys between 4.2 and 3.8 at low C rates until there was a measurable decrease in cpacity , much like the average non deep cycle starting battery in a vechile which starts the engine well over a 1,000 times a years and many for a lot of years. The Pb in my Mazda truck is 10 years old and still fine thank you.

Charles
Dec 03, 2010, 06:23 PM
That's a funny word
How about evaluating your inventory so that the charged ones can be plugged into the discharged ones with only a dvm attached. I used a set-up like this with whichever lead I needed. Just make sure all the packs contain the same number of (series) cells.

I can't seem to find the pic now. It is a integy power strip w/ banana plugs and switches. The main lead is hooked to the dvm and each set of banana jacks has the appropriate charge lead hooked to the pack. After a while they will all be same voltage.
Mar 17, 2016, 03:18 PM
What is a good charge/storage rate for my umx Eflite 3c 2s 280 mah batterys? Sorry I am kinda new, I have a good balance setup to. (4 button) I was told .7A is fine
Mar 17, 2016, 03:56 PM
Southern Pride
Quote:
Eflite 3c 2s 280 mah batterys
Where did you find a 3C EFlite LiPoly? Sure it is not 30C or perhaps even 35C?

10C discharge would be about the same as the average discharge during a 5 min. flight and should not be taxing on the battery.

280 X 10 = 2.8 A discharge rate.

Quick Reply