Dec 17, 2010, 01:04 PM
Thread OP

The First Serious Dry Run

With all the small stuff basically done, all the big pieces were dry fitted to see how it all went together. So far, so good.

Next up is to handle the smaller details -- and still need to get the cowl master carved and sent too, but to avoid the possibility of loosing it in the Christmas Mail rush I'll probably wait till after it's over to send it out.

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2010, 01:18 PM
Pat, quick ? on your motor mounts, are they made from 1/8" balsa, or lite ply? What about the firewall? Thanks
Dec 17, 2010, 01:21 PM
Great plane! Subscribed.

I got a chance to see some of you models in a hobby shop in Troy Michigan on Thursday. Beautiful models! They even had a great selection of your designs in stock.

Reading/watching the various build threads is great and brings me a lot of joy but, looking at the models in person really helped me appreciate the level of skill and craftsmanship that go into these.

Thank you Mr. Tritle for sharing your designs and builds!
Dec 17, 2010, 01:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag1
Pat, quick ? on your motor mounts, are they made from 1/8" balsa, or lite ply? What about the firewall? Thanks
There's a little of everything up there; The firewall is 1/8 Balsa. The motor mount box is 1/8 balsa with 1/32 ply nosewheel bearing discs on both sides of the upper and lower pieces. The motor mounting plate is 1/8 light ply. The lower nosewheel guide plate is 1/8 lite ply with 1/32 ply discs on bith sides. I know it sounds a little light duty, but as light as these airframes are, the system has proven itself well on the Tri-Pacer, so went with it again here.

PAT
Dec 17, 2010, 01:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkill2
Great plane! Subscribed.

I got a chance to see some of you models in a hobby shop in Troy Michigan on Thursday. Beautiful models! They even had a great selection of your designs in stock.

Reading/watching the various build threads is great and brings me a lot of joy but, looking at the models in person really helped me appreciate the level of skill and craftsmanship that go into these.

Thank you Mr. Tritle for sharing your designs and builds!
Buzz, Thanks much for the kind words, I really do appreciate it.

PAT
Dec 17, 2010, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=midevilman;16781072]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
And then the last of the bottom stringers were added, followed by the servo rails and servo mounting. The pushrod tube went in next, then the file folder paper window frames and instrument panel hood were added to finish up the basic structure. Now the cowl mold can be made up and get it out to Sparky while the rest of the model goes together.

MEANT TO SAY LOMF IS FACING A MEDICAL EMERGENCY AND NEEDS EVERYONES PRAYERS,PLEASE
Last edited by midevilman; Dec 17, 2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: posted wrong area
Dec 17, 2010, 09:29 PM

worded wrong

posted wrong area
Last edited by midevilman; Dec 18, 2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: not what i wanted to say
Dec 18, 2010, 07:36 PM
I eat glue
Not trying to be cold hearted, but should this be moved. It's all too "mysterious" and sounds like someone's being slammed.
Dec 18, 2010, 09:16 PM
Yep, waiting to see more about the 172. And maybe drop some hints that some of us would like to see a 150 (Lima)...
Dec 22, 2010, 10:05 AM
Thread OP

Carving the Cowl Plug

Got the cowl master done up from blue foam. Will get it sent out after the holidays to make sure it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.
Dec 22, 2010, 10:08 AM
Thread OP

Setting up the Front End

Now that the cowl plug was done the motor mount was set up and glued in place. The nosewheel steering link was made up from brass and a wheel colar and the nosewheel mounted and the steering link rod connected. At while we're at it, the rudder cables were run in and hooked up.
Dec 22, 2010, 10:13 AM
Thread OP

The Last Step Before Covering

The last step before covering began was to make up the blue foam rudder fairing. The foam was shaped and sanded then sealed with 2 coats of Polycrylic in prep for paint. Then covering began -- and will continue today....

PAT
Dec 22, 2010, 10:37 AM
Hey Pat, what do you use for rudder pull pull lines?
Dec 22, 2010, 11:06 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill
Hey Pat, what do you use for rudder pull pull lines?
Steve, I bought a spool of light kevlar thread a few years ago and have been using it on all of these lightweights. You can also use 10 lb. test kevlar fish line, or a good heavy duty boot or carpet thread. The main thing is that it doesn't stretch.

Forgot to mention, I used sewing needles and EZ-Connectors for the adjustment at the servo....

PAT
Last edited by P. Tritle; Dec 22, 2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention....
Dec 22, 2010, 11:10 AM
Onward and Upward
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Randy, I'm doing the one in the photo in the first post.

PAT
Pat,

thanks for the reply. I looked it up and that is a 1963 Cessna 172D. I was 2 years old when that was built! I must be a young pup.

Randy

Quick Reply