Apr 29, 2011, 09:24 PM
Suspended Account
hey thx for the heads up.....i never used the microlite before. but all i do use on all my planes is coverite.....i love it. monokote used to be good...it sucks. guess with light coverings i have sacrifice some opaque. no big deal i guess. i am not willing to revert back to silkspan and dope thats for sure.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2011, 09:33 PM
Neophyte hacker
Like above, I like Solarfilm for these size planes. A little heavier than Microlite but easy to use and colors are more solid. Just don't use the silver

Ultrakote Parklite is another one that works well, even in silver

charlie
Apr 29, 2011, 09:53 PM
Suspended Account
ok.....i ask one simple question.....then i get too many answers that dont make sense. this is the problem with forums.....guess i will just do what i want. unsubbed!!!
Apr 29, 2011, 09:57 PM
Wow!

Is that ever pretty!

It's interesting to note how much electric power has changed the hobby. I'm pretty sure that the propeller on that plane is actually bigger than scale...

Unheard of back in the glow days.

Ron Daniels
May 19, 2011, 09:52 PM
Mr. Daniels, it is a little bigger than scale, when I got the plane, I flew it and accidentally cracked the prop and I got a new one, painted it silver with white tips and stuck it on. It's a Zinger 11x7 now. It sounds very real too, with a little bit of a hum to it. I love flying this airplane, but I'm a little nervous considering it was custom built and looks exactly like my full scale 172, but I fly it as much as possible anyways. I would encourage you to build one, it is worth it, but if you are looking for aerobatics, this is not the plane for it. It likes slow flight with gentle, coordinated turns. Look forward to seeing a few more in the air soon!
May 24, 2011, 02:56 PM
Has anyone ordered and or started building one yet? I'd like to see some others getting in the air! My 172 is getting lonely!
Jun 28, 2011, 04:17 PM
eletricplanes.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by N495RD
Has anyone ordered and or started building one yet? I'd like to see some others getting in the air! My 172 is getting lonely!
Hi there,
I ordered and will start building my cessna son, but I was finishing a guillows Skyhawk and buying stuff to my Patīs cessna.
As son as I start it Iīll post pictures.
Regards
Raphael

My guillows cessna
Jul 13, 2011, 10:24 AM
Getting ready to order mine, just curious, what methods do yall use to stick frame? do yall use CA? and what material is used to protect the plans from the glue? Thanks.
Jul 13, 2011, 12:36 PM
Neophyte hacker
I use doculam or wax paper to protect the plans and pins to stick things down.

Glue depends on how I feel at the moment Med CA if in a hurry, wood glue if I am not rushed.

charlie
Aug 14, 2011, 04:23 PM
eletricplanes.com

Pat Trittle S-hauk

This is mine Tritlle's Cessna S-hauk almost ready to fly.
I'm building its wings these days, and soon it will be ready to fly.
I've changed some things; I used 1/32 balsa sheet to make the cabin; I don't think paper is a good idea, and changed the aft windows to be more like cessna 172 from the 60's, furthermore the tail stabilizers have a thick simetrical profile, like in the real one.

I'm installing a lightning kit, and wish to change the flaps configuration to a real fowler flaps.
Soon I'll be finishing it and I'll post all the building pictures with changes.
Is anyone building the S-hauk to share pictures with me?!
Raphael
Last edited by raphael150; Aug 14, 2011 at 05:40 PM.
Jan 23, 2012, 01:11 PM
Closed Account
Looks good, but that rear window just ain't quite right. Your Guillow version is more accurate. Here's what it's supposed to look like:
Last edited by IndoorFlyerABQ; Jan 23, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
Jan 24, 2012, 07:24 AM
eletricplanes.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndoorFlyerABQ
Looks good, but that rear window just ain't quite right. Your Guillow version is more accurate. Here's what it's supposed to look like:
Hello IndoorFlyerABQ,
I guess Pat do not intend design a full scale models; he just want to give us a "look like" scale models, and thatīs the most interesting thing on it; we just donīt care about accurate details, but something that is easy to build, ultralight and fly very very well, at the same time looks like a scale model.
Not a surprise that he called this model Cessna S-HAUK, not Skyhawk.
Have a nice flight!
Raphael

PS: below my S-Hauk finished.

Jan 24, 2012, 01:16 PM
Pat's models are designed first for scale like flight and second for scale-like looks. I have to restrain myself from inlaying, beefing up, etc. in attempts to make models more scale-looking, using heavier motors and battery packs, which raises stall and cruising flight speeds and make landings harder and tougher on landing gear.
Jan 29, 2012, 09:33 PM
I eat glue
I love Pat's design philosophy. If I want exact scale I'll build from a Brian Taylor design. I have Brian Taylor plans, but I always find myself working on Pat's style of models instead. Tons of enjoyment for minimal dollars. It's a hobby.
Jan 30, 2012, 09:43 AM
Neophyte hacker
Sheeting one of Pat's designs is one of the worst mistakes you can make. You'll end up with a heavy weight without the load bearing structure in the correct places.

If you know what you are doing and you change the internal structure before you start then you might have a chance. It won't be Pat's design at that point so you are on your own.

Hacking a kit like that can be fun. I've done a few. Some turn out really well (the ones that are planned well) and others turn out really bad (the ones done without planning). Engineering at it's best

And, if you are picky about certain details of an airplane design then look carefully before you purchase a 'sport scale' kit. You'll probably be disappointed. Spend the money to get an exact scale from somewhere or design one yourself.

charlie

Quick Reply