Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Dec 01, 2010, 09:05 PM
Find More Posts by P. Tritle
New Product

C-172 Skyhawk in 1:8 Scale

Well, after weeks of "couldn't get to it", I've finally been able to get started on the C-172.It's been in the works for a long time, will be nice to finally get it going.

The 1:8 scale model will span 54" and plan to power it with a 2812 Outrunner on 2 cells. Control will be 5 ch. R/C, so should make for a real nice Park Flyer.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2010, 09:09 PM

Getting Started on the Fuselage

Thought I'd start with the fuselage so that I could get the molds for the cowl and wheel pants made up and off to Sparky and get the plastic parts in process while the wings and tail parts were getting framed.

The side frames were built over the plans and the landing gear mounts in place once the frames came off the board.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 09:13 PM

Joining the Frames

The upper cabin formers went in first to start the process, then the bottom formers were added in the cabin area. The main landing gear is built into a major former at mid cabin, but it won't be added untill the rest of the formers are in place. Then once that was done, the frame was blocked up over the plans and the rest of the top formers were added. Next up will be to remove the frame from the board and fit the rest of the formers and get the stringers in place.

PAT
Old Dec 01, 2010, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Airliner Builder
Wow a 172, awesome! I just ordered your Turbo Porter and now your already on your next project! Looking great as always
Old Dec 01, 2010, 11:03 PM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Aw crap, I might as well just give up any hope of having money now.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by 800mZero
3DHS Junkie
oh man-----whats your thoughts pat on this being a first kit?
Old Dec 02, 2010, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
What's the matter, can't say C@%%*^???

Cool!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2010, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by sj3cub
Yee Haw!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 02, 2010, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by JasonNoll
Go Buckeys!
Sweet!!! Put me down for one!
Old Dec 03, 2010, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Onward and upward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle View Post
Well, after weeks of "couldn't get to it", I've finally been able to get started on the C-172.It's been in the works for a long time, will be nice to finally get it going.

The 1:8 scale model will span 54" and plan to power it with a 2812 Outrunner on 2 cells. Control will be 5 ch. R/C, so should make for a real nice Park Flyer.
Pat,

Are you making an old Skyhawk? Your photograph is of an old one.

Randy
Old Dec 03, 2010, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by Deuce
Übung macht den Meister..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12 View Post
Pat,

Are you making an old Skyhawk? Your photograph is of an old one.

Randy
If you look closely, you can see the "straight back" is actually a Bonanza behind the Skyhawk. I thought the same thing at first glance, but the swept tail wouldn't be correct...

James
Old Dec 03, 2010, 03:41 PM
Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
I too noticed the Bonanza behind the hawk, Pat can that be next in 50"??
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2010, 05:22 PM
Find More Posts by sj3cub
Pat, Please have Sparky do the older C+$$%@ style of wheel pants just like the ones in your picture above. Looks like a 1966/67 model. Generic pants would just kill the looks IMO. Or even the style that were on the 1972/1973 models would be nice. The newer style of pants are just ugly. Keep up the good work, she's gonna be sweet.
Last edited by sj3cub; Dec 03, 2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 05:56 PM
56S
Find More Posts by 56S
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Nice work indeed. I sure wish I could find a two seat version; you know, sort of a trainer? Maybe sharing the same 100 series wings, Omni-Vision and swept tail?? Heck give it 2/3 of the 172 Continential engine too. Maybe make it look like this....
Old Dec 03, 2010, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by jonquinn
then its a 150 or 152 if its a 2 seater. maybe that will be a future PCM short kit? I would get one of those since I miss flying the 150.