Jul 08, 2012, 09:39 PM
hey just curious has anyone seen these in use or now if they are any count? Saw it while looking for some stuff and thought it was interesting. http://www.ebay.com/itm/JCX-M6-Fligh...item4166cfaab0
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2012, 10:03 PM
NORDPAC S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprentice15e
How about the lenght of the shaft on that motor? Is it long enough to keep the the prop from hitting cowl?
No sweat on the Emax BL2215/20 prop/cowl clearance. Always check the CG on a new motor installation.

Mfpage
Jul 08, 2012, 10:08 PM
NORDPAC S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprentice15e
I was thinking of getting this motor
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...2C-28mm/Detail
36mm long is too long for the SR. 32mm is about max even with removing some inner cowl foam.

Mfpage
Jul 08, 2012, 11:10 PM
Got shenpa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmccustoms
Saw it while looking for some stuff and thought it was interesting. http://www.ebay.com/itm/JCX-M6-Fligh...item4166cfaab0
I agree, that is certainly interesting, particularly at that price point!

It's not terribly easy to parse the fractured English, but it seems to be a servo stabilisation module that smoothes out the bobbles and bumps in a models flight. If it works that could certainly be fun to experiment with, and may help low-time RC pilots get more stick time because they won't crash as often.

One of the things I'm not clear about is how many axes are stabilised using this module - I can't find any mention of this in the data on that web page. There is a mention of "...fixed wings, elevators, and rudders", which makes me suspect it is only 2 axes of stabilisation (no ailerons).

As our cities continue to get more crowded, and open space becomes as rare as hens teeth, we're going to be slowly pushed towards smaller and lighter model aircraft that can fly in smaller spaces. When a model becomes small and light enough, it starts to be drastically affected by air turbulence and wind, and it also tends to become "twitchy" because the moments of inertia are very small. Some sort of active servo stability (like Horizon Hobby's AS3X) would be very helpful, letting you fly smoothly even with small and twitchy little models.

The ST Trainer, fortunately, looks to have such a large wingspan that it won't need any help stabilising it in roll.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried setting up the flaps, and then wiring the flap servos in parallel with the aileron servos, so that the "flaps" simply act as additional ailerons to improve the roll rate of this model?

-Flieslikeabeagle
Jul 21, 2012, 02:43 PM
Apprentice 15e

SR-22 Uprades - 450 sports motor, new nose gear with bigger nose gear wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpage
36mm long is too long for the SR. 32mm is about max even with removing some inner cowl foam.

Mfpage
As I had posted before, I had serious trouble taking off from my grass field, since the nose gear would get stuck. So, I did two fantastic upgrades..

1. I installed a different nose gear- the stock nose gear of E-flite Apprentice, and it has 2-3/4" Dubro foam wheels. With that SR-22 moves like an RC Car on the grass.. unbeliveable maneuverability on the grass, and that too with stock red motor with a bent shaft and stock prop.. You can get this from LHS or Hobbyzone

The stock nose gear wire is 2.5mm dia, while apprentice's is 3mm..So, you can almost push this in manually or use a drill to enlarge the plastic nose gear holder..

The best part is stock nose gear assembly weighs 33g, apprentice nose gear with bigass wheel is 36g..and the plane sits level with Apprentice's nose gear!!! so even the legnths of the gear are almost the same ...That was completely a surprise..

I flew this already, and didnot have to change CG, which, btw, is at what factory has recommended, with the battery pushed completely in (such that it hits the canopy windshield).

2. I got the Power up 450 sports motor from HeadsupRC http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Sport/Detail

stock motor weights 66g, while the this upgrade is 76g..I don't think I will have to change CG too much..but will find out..

Man, that thing fits the stock set up like it was meant for it. It has 4 mm shaft, comes with prop adapter. If you wanna use the stock prop then ream it with a 6mm prop reamer. The motor has dimensions very close to stock motor, and it does not interefere with the cowl once installed..

I have attached pictures.. I haven't flown it yet, but I bet the SR-22 is going to be very zippy!!

Sorry about one of the blurry pics.. I took all pictuers without flash by setting higher aperature time, so one got messed up.. but I am sure everybody will get the picture (pun intended)..

Name: IMG_1518.jpg
Views: 145
Size: 156.7 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1519.jpg
Views: 127
Size: 146.8 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1520.jpg
Views: 121
Size: 123.3 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1521.jpg
Views: 103
Size: 280.3 KB
Description: Fox 6,7,8 mm prop reamer

Name: IMG_1522.jpg
Views: 105
Size: 88.3 KB
Description: There's enough clearance

Name: IMG_1523.jpg
Views: 91
Size: 162.4 KB
Description: prop clearance

In, case the attachments fail
http://imgur.com/a/7BBIT#0

I really hope that this helps people..

BTW, I am calling this SR-22 A ..new model number
Jul 21, 2012, 04:54 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
Thread OP
Awesome work Apprentice!!! Looks to me like it should work really good

Thanks for sharing!

Kman
Jul 21, 2012, 08:38 PM
NORDPAC S3
Great idea Apprentice. Thank you. Can we assume this mod eliminates the nose "wheel pants"?

Mfpage
Jul 22, 2012, 12:55 AM
Apprentice 15e
Thanks guys...

I flew this configuration today, and boy it flies really sweet!! It is really zippy... it is like a new plane!!!

Two things I should mention:
1. For the Apprentice nose gear, you will either you will have to use an arm from the Apprentice's firewall or have to devise something else. The original arm might work but you will have to create some kind of bend in the nose gear similar to stock nose gear wire. The Apprentice's firewall is not that expsensive, I think 7 bucks or so.. I used the arm from many of the broken ones.

2. I used epoxy to glue the landing gear plastic inserts (that are attached to foam in the stock set up) to give strength to the landing gears.
Jul 22, 2012, 12:56 AM
Apprentice 15e
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpage
Great idea Apprentice. Thank you. Can we assume this mod eliminates the nose "wheel pants"?

Mfpage
Yep!! pants are too small for the bigass wheels!
Jul 29, 2012, 06:04 PM
Always An Old F-4 Crewchief
I'm looking at one of these real hard. I noticed there is no mention of any wing spars. Watched a build video as well. Seems like a foam plane with a 55" wingspan might require something to add strength. Any issues with wing flap or bending under loads?
I really like the looks of this one. At less than $90 shipped, don't think I can pass it up.
Latest blog entry: The first F-4 I crewed.
Jul 29, 2012, 06:19 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
Thread OP
There are some spars built into each wing, but there is no spar between the wings. The wings do flex and bend if you really push it, but in normal flying it is a non issue.

Kman
Jul 29, 2012, 07:10 PM
Sounds good. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary in the videos I watched.
Jul 30, 2012, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmccustoms
hey just curious has anyone seen these in use or now if they are any count? Saw it while looking for some stuff and thought it was interesting. http://www.ebay.com/itm/JCX-M6-Fligh...item4166cfaab0
I've ordered the HobbyKing version - $18.00. It appears to be enroute; I'll report on its performance after I try it.
Jul 31, 2012, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFB Aerowerks
I've ordered the HobbyKing version - $18.00. It appears to be enroute; I'll report on its performance after I try it.
Please keep us up on it, curious to see how it works
Aug 02, 2012, 09:10 PM
I ordered mine yesterday. What type connector does the stock esc have? Every 3s battery I own has a Deans connector.

Quick Reply