Nov 30, 2010, 05:36 PM
Garry
Thread OP
Build Log

China Clipper from Model Aviation plans

I started building a Martin M-130 China Clipper from AMA plans. The plan uses a Goldberg Skylane 62 wing that is stretched by two ribs on each end for a wing span of 74". The Goldberg wing kit is no longer available, but the rib templets are on the plans. I found a copy of the original Goldberg wing plan which had building directions for the wing which is built a little different than they build wings today. The plans say the weight is 8 1/2 pounds but I am going to try and lighten it to about 7 1/2 to 8 pounds max. original power was 4 OS 10s with 7x6 props, Iam going to use Turnigy 3530-1700kv motors and 40 amp ESCs. The wing is comming along very well. Getting ready to make motor mounts and run motor wires.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2010, 11:37 PM
Hm. That was supposed to be my winter project: build my Cleveland M-130, 8' span. I, too, an looking for a light model, being an old freeflighter. Keep us posted on how you make out!
Dec 10, 2010, 08:32 PM
Garry
Thread OP
Well structurallyThe wing is complete except for the nacels and running the motor wires. I can't take any pictures because my camera seems to have quit on me. I have started on the fuse/hull and am having a hard time getting my head around building from the center of the fuse out. The fusalage is built on a center keel or crutch, I have never built like that, but I almost have the crutch built and hopefully I got this thing figured out. Now I have to go find a new camera, hopefully I can find a used one at the pawn shop.
Dec 12, 2010, 12:00 PM
Suspended Account
Great project. Looking forward to seeing it progress. Hope you get the camera sorted out, but fortunately they are cheaper than ever to buy. I should try to figure out how to download my camera photos to the computer, in case my camera ever dies. May be a simple software download, as I have the same plug on my camera. Just a thought, if you have a phone camera.
Did you cut all the parts by hand, or buy a parts set?
Dec 14, 2010, 09:45 PM
Garry
Thread OP
1post, every thing is cut by hand on an old single speed Ryobe scroll saw then fine tuned with sand paper. I tried my phone camera, but they were very poor quality pictures.
Dec 17, 2010, 12:34 AM
Onward and Upward.
Wow,

cool project! I bought these plans many years ago and thought I would never see one built. I've always loved the lines of the Martin but thought electric would be the way to go. Good Luck. I'll be following along.

Randy
Jan 14, 2011, 07:11 PM
Well, you have another member in the waiting room Doc waiting for the new baby to be born! Subscribed. Just received my plans today for a 6 foot ws CHINA CLIPPER by JOE DEMARCO. Never built one of his plans befor. He also built his desighn around the old goldberg wing. Looking forward to your build!!
Jan 14, 2011, 11:30 PM
Garry
Thread OP
I have sorted the camera problem, so I will post some progress pics tomorrow. RAY ALLEN my plans say designed and drawn by Bud Chappell traceing by Joe Demarco. This is the hardest plans build I have ever done, it's been a lot of head scratching at times. I think Mr. Chappell had a love affair going on with 1/4" balsa as that is what he built most of the plane out of I have changed more than half the 1/4" for 1/8" and can't see where it lost any strength.
Jan 15, 2011, 03:37 PM
Garry
Thread OP
Here is where I am at with the fuse. The plans call for all 1/4" balsa formers and sheet wood in the center of the fuse. I have changed it to 1/8" and then lightened the rear bulkheads.
Jan 17, 2011, 05:47 PM
Well, I think I have the same plans as you. I purchased them off EBAY from a hobby shop owner. I have a typed build plan that came with my plans and in it the desighner states that when finnished the prototype was tale heavy and weight was needed in nose. If you can save weight with out compromiseing structure go for it! He may have tried to simplafy desighn
Jan 18, 2011, 12:31 AM
Garry
Thread OP
Ray, you can get the construction artical from the AMA magazine archive. There is a few pictures and a cutaway drawing that I have studied when I have been stuck trying to figure out something, waiting for the light bulb to go on in my head.
Jan 19, 2011, 08:14 PM
a.k.a. skcope
Hey Crash-
That is my grandfather's plan (Bud Chappell). I can still remember when the original was built and the sound of the four O.S. tens made when he flew it at the Brimfield Hydro meet in Massachusetts. Great childhood memories.

He did later convert the original airframe to electric power and used four direct drive magnetic mayhems and I believe 16 Nicad cells. He also extended both outer wing panels to come up with a reasonable wing loading. He finally retired the original model and donated it to the New England Air Museum in Windsor Locks, CT.

If I can be of any assistance, please let me know. My Grandfather is still building/designing but does not use the computer- I could ask him if you have any specific questions. Good luck with the build! Looks great so far!
-Scott
Jan 21, 2011, 05:46 PM

Waterproofing the Clipper

Garry,
Nice work! A suggestion. Make sure you waterproof the interior before you start closing her up with all kinds of sheeting. This will help prevent mold and rotten wood down the river. It all depends on how much water flying you plan to do. Water will eventually get in. 3-4 coats of thinned butyrate dope works and it's light. If you don't like dope's hideous odor and toxic fumes use WBPU (water based polyurethane). If the hull was made out of fiberglass or plastic I wouldn't bother, but since it's balsa take the extra step and waterproof it. You won't be sorry.
Jan 21, 2011, 06:52 PM
Suspended Account

The AMA plans hull

Came out wide.
Still goes great. Put 4 A123 in the VERY nose to get a fantastic hand toss glide. Brushed 400s are O K. Hull is partly hollowed out.

Mine is from a solid piece of blue foam used in floating docks.

It weighs 3 1/2 lbs. RTF
Last edited by cyclops2; Jan 21, 2011 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply