Thread Tools
Nov 30, 2010, 11:42 AM
www.silentflyers.com
Cincy E-Flyer's Avatar
Question

Multi Port Balance Chargers


Is there a Balance Charger out there that charges multiple packs without having to buy all the different harnesses? It would be nice to be able to plug directly into a charger and not have to keep switching harnesses.

I would consider buying one like the Quatro and replacing the balance connectors on all my batteries if I knew I could buy the right replacement plug. Is there a source for buying the right connector for the Quatro or other Multi Chargers?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2010, 11:45 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver Lover View Post
Is there a Balance Charger out there that charges multiple packs without having to buy all the different harnesses? It would be nice to be able to plug directly into a charger and not have to keep switching harnesses.

I would consider buying one like the Quatro and replacing the balance connectors on all my batteries if I knew I could buy the right replacement plug. Is there a source for buying the right connector for the Quatro or other Multi Chargers?
Yep hobbyking sells all the battery lead harnesses and lipo balance tap boards.
Nov 30, 2010, 11:49 AM
www.silentflyers.com
Cincy E-Flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptileman View Post
Yep hobbyking sells all the battery lead harnesses and lipo balance tap boards.

You missed my point. I don't want to use harnesses or boards - I want to be able to plug my batteries balance lead directly into the chargers. So I want a charger that has the different plug combination built in or find the correct connector to put on all my batteries. I know the Quatro accepts connectors with 2.5mm spacing but wanted to know where I could by the correct connectors.
Nov 30, 2010, 11:54 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver Lover View Post
You missed my point. I don't want to use harnesses or boards - I want to be able to plug my batteries balance lead directly into the chargers. So I want a charger that has the different plug combination built in or find the correct connector to put on all my batteries. I know the Quatro accepts connectors with 2.5mm spacing but wanted to know where I could by the correct connectors.
Hi then the answer is no they don't you need adaptors or buy one type of lipo balance tap on all the batteries you buy that match your charger,
Nov 30, 2010, 12:02 PM
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
It's not a good idea to connect the balance connector directly into the charger.
Why you ask?
Because if the connector fails after many disconnects the charger repair is a major $/time issue.
I and many others use the 10cm adaptor cables that HK sells. Like this where the adaptor stays connected to the charger and the battery plugs into the adaptor. They make adaptor cables for all battery types.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...6&ParentCat=85
Nov 30, 2010, 12:09 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
It's not a good idea to connect the balance connector directly into the charger.
Why you ask?
Because if the connector fails after many disconnects the charger repair is a major $/time issue.
I and many others use the 10cm adaptor cables that HK sells. Like this where the adaptor stays connected to the charger and the battery plugs into the adaptor. They make adaptor cables for all battery types.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...6&ParentCat=85
Yep 100% true!
also if a lipo catches fire you will most likely be throwing your charger out after words because the battery will be so close to the charger.
Nov 30, 2010, 12:20 PM
Registered User
If any of the chargers you're looking at use JST-XH connectors, there's a trick you can do with those were you cut out the center plastic tab on the charger side and then you can fit any smaller sized JST-XH connector into them - of course, it now becomes totally up to you to keep them oriented correctly since the tab won't be there to force that. That said, I prefer some kind of extension/harness to keep the wear and tear away from the charger and to make it easy to slip the batteries deep into liposacks, or the containments of your choice. I mostly use single port chargers with parallel adapters that are just multiple extensions that I soldered together. (Though you can buy them ready-made these days.)
Nov 30, 2010, 02:22 PM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Hughes500Bob's Avatar
YES You can purchase JST-XH plugs and JST-XH pins from Digi-Key and get a D-Sub crimper from Radio Shack. Cut the pins off your existing tap wires (doing one at a time and using caution to prevent any shorts) and replace with JST-XH pins .... insert in new plug .... go to next pin .... repeat as needed.

or you can purchase the JST-XH plugs with wires atached and solder/splice them to your existing wires.

PM me for more info.

Bob
http://rcsales.shutterfly.com
Dec 01, 2010, 05:01 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Chuck's Avatar
I use these, all my packs are 3s.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9736
Sep 28, 2011, 02:15 PM
AMA# 957918
Pretorian435's Avatar
Chuck, can those be plugged directly into the larger port on the charger keeping them to the right, like you can do on a balance board?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3634
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:50 PM View Post
alexx1
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.
Sep 12, 2012, 07:00 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Chuck's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretorian435 View Post
Chuck, can those be plugged directly into the larger port on the charger keeping them to the right, like you can do on a balance board?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3634
Sorry, somehow I missed your post. Yes, you can, that's what I do.

Chuck
Sep 16, 2012, 09:04 PM
Registered User
I bought a multi-balance board off eBay. It was an all-in-one board. So now I can charge my Hyperions, RMRC's, Zippys, JST's, etc. all off of the same board. It came with a 30 cm cable, which keeps it well away from my charger. That cable wasn't compatible with my Hyperion 0730i net charger, so I used the stock Hyperion cable and soldered it up to the aftermarket one. I had to add in the 7th wire so that the Hyperion wouldn't "freak out". After it was all said and done, my balance board cable is about 40 cm (15"). Which is nice!!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Multi engine best transmitter to balance thrust captain copter Power Systems 9 Nov 14, 2010 11:06 AM
Sold ACE Digi-pulse Multi chargers. flyinjrc74 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 2 Nov 09, 2010 12:38 AM
Sold Digipulse Multi-Chargers DPeterson Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 8 Oct 19, 2010 01:04 PM
For Sale Dual port chargers- Schulze isl 6-330d (2) JoeR Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 0 Oct 11, 2010 08:02 AM
Multi-port lipo chargers woodscra Batteries and Chargers 5 Nov 09, 2004 06:12 PM