How can we get electric fliers to either form or join clubs? - RC Groups
Nov 29, 2010, 11:36 AM
Discussion

How can we get electric fliers to either form or join clubs?

Sure, electric lets you pick a field (or parking lot, or street) wherever you want and fly by yourself, but doesn't this get old after a while?
RE
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2010, 12:45 PM
I much prefer flying with my pals.
Nov 29, 2010, 01:05 PM
Sounds good. I miss the clubs, but cant afford the distance.
Nov 29, 2010, 01:19 PM
Sink stinks
Why do we need to? I much prefer flying by myself in a park nearby without having to worry about club dues.
Nov 29, 2010, 01:27 PM
After having been involved with two local clubs and having the ablity to fly at 3 local fields I still would rather fly alone.

Simply put, flying with the FEW goods guys is not worth dealing with the REST.
Nov 29, 2010, 02:18 PM
I pay $20 for a city flying permit, $20 dues to a nearby saiplane and electric-only club, $100 to a farther out IC and electric club, plus my $58 AMA dues, total $198 for the privelege of flying my built-up scale models on decent take-off and landing surfaces. I don't enjoy flying in complete solitude, but flying with a bunch of uncooperative overgrown kids, focused only on their ARF's, can be a PITA.
Nov 29, 2010, 02:20 PM
AMA 537620
I was in a club for 7 years, and I enjoyed the benefits of a well prepped field and a pole barn to sit under etc. I didn't like that as time went on, the good guys (mostly old timers) either left or died, and got replaced with younger, cockier people who wouldn't help out at club events. The politics got to be too much for me.

But, I am hoping to find another club soon as I've got some big projects wrapping up that will require more than just a park or my mom's back yard. Some day, I'd like to just pave a strip out in my backyard, but I will have to see what life throws at me once I am married and looking at fatherhood and a real career.
Nov 29, 2010, 03:07 PM
Visitor from Reality
We have a lot of folk around who are entitled to whatever they want. If there's a problem, someone else will step up and deal with it, for free and with minimal participation.

Used to be these folks' parents, now in our case, it's the AMA who will go along pulling trivia like aid in keeping flying sites, radio frequencies to fly on and other such minor trivia.

Against that, who's to argue with someone who's bought a new product and is fully entitled to talk on it/ride it down a sidewalk/chew up the environment on it or, in our case, fly it where they want with no thought to skill, safety or other trivia.

One day, they'll get to run the world. Hopefully, I won't be around.

Never mind the cost, I'd rather scrape up a club membership and visit with aeromodellers than dodge flying toys flown by over-entitled spoiled brats who are only here until they find another new way to spend. Someone who's idea of a fine way to pass the time is playing moronic video games or sending IMs isn't really someone I care to be around.

Get them to join a club? Only if it became fashionable, so they could tweet about it, or maybe if mom and dad paid their membership and drove them there, more likely.

D
Nov 29, 2010, 03:15 PM
Im not part of a club, and don't intend to ever be part of one. Every weekend, a group of about 8 guys gather at a local sports field and fly. No regulations and rules. We just fly our electrics and have a blast.
Nov 29, 2010, 03:19 PM
There's no need for strictly an electric club here where I am in central NY. The guys at our club fly both but I have to admit, most fly nitro & gas more often. As for me, I'm fairly new to all of this and I happen to fly all electric. I just wish the club was a little closer because every time I want to fly most of my planes I need to drive 36 miles one way. I still think it's worth it.

Tom
Nov 29, 2010, 03:25 PM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattvr1ck
Im not part of a club, and don't intend to ever be part of one. Every weekend, a group of about 8 guys gather at a local sports field and fly. No regulations and rules. We just fly our electrics and have a blast.
I'd argue that you actually are a club of 8 and that you have rules, probably unspoken, that you all follow. Like, where do you park, stand when you fly etc.

Azarr
Nov 29, 2010, 03:26 PM
There's no need for strictly an electric club here where I am in central NY. The guys at our club fly both but I have to admit, most fly nitro & gas more often. As for me, I'm fairly new to all of this and I happen to fly all electric. I just wish the club was a little closer because every time I want to fly most of my planes I need to drive 36 miles one way. I still think it's worth it.

Tom

Whoops, sorry, double post.
Nov 29, 2010, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck
We have a lot of folk around who are entitled to whatever they want. If there's a problem, someone else will step up and deal with it, for free and with minimal participation.

Used to be these folks' parents, now in our case, it's the AMA who will go along pulling trivia like aid in keeping flying sites, radio frequencies to fly on and other such minor trivia.

Against that, who's to argue with someone who's bought a new product and is fully entitled to talk on it/ride it down a sidewalk/chew up the environment on it or, in our case, fly it where they want with no thought to skill, safety or other trivia.

One day, they'll get to run the world. Hopefully, I won't be around.

Never mind the cost, I'd rather scrape up a club membership and visit with aeromodellers than dodge flying toys flown by over-entitled spoiled brats who are only here until they find another new way to spend. Someone who's idea of a fine way to pass the time is playing moronic video games or sending IMs isn't really someone I care to be around.

Get them to join a club? Only if it became fashionable, so they could tweet about it, or maybe if mom and dad paid their membership and drove them there, more likely.

D
That was awesome.
RE
Nov 29, 2010, 04:11 PM
Team 3DHS
The answer is simple. Get them flying bigger stuff and eventually they'd join
Nov 29, 2010, 04:18 PM
Fly Low
I am going to join the club at our local field ...

Not because I have to ... but because they do some good like mowing the grass and repairing the fences ... and they even built a nice charging station.

Now am I going to follow all of the rules by the book and try to enforce everything like a maniac ..... Heck No ....