Nov 27, 2010, 04:42 AM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Discussion

HK EPO Parjet, ARF

A small review of this, what I think is a Great Little flyer. If you read the reviews on the HK Forums there is probably a 60/40 Balance of good and bad. I thought I'd give it a shot. It came in a small box and everything was there. Even came with glue .

So it was time to glue the wings to the main fuse and fins on. Instead of using the glue provided I used 5 min epoxy. The glue provided probably does a good job as well. I used a tooth pic to put some holes along the foam joins so the glue would bind a bit better. Since the servos where already fitted I checked them just to make sure they were in tight. No problem there. Next was the engine mount. Seemed fragile to me, so I opted to use only the round disc mount of the supplied engine mount and glue it to the rear of the wing as in the pics. I put in 2-3 degrees down thrust and supported it top and bottom with some 5mm cellfoam 88 for some strength ( not in the pics )and also the bottom one is used a a skid.

I used the prop provided and prop saver. The prop is not a perfect fit on the prop saver. Dont forget since its a pusher the prop faces forward ( eg Numbers on the prop facing towards the front. The grub screws are tiny on the metal engine mount and prop saver. Their around a 1mm allan key in size. A real PIA. I added some stickers and hooked up the electronics. I adjusted the elevons with a little bit up for the first flight. A little not to much. So it was time to give it ago.

I used the supplied esc and found it works well with 2 and 3 cell Batts. No problems as yet. It has an annoying beep every 10 -20 seconds when being used. Maybe to tell the pilot its ready to go.

I tried it with a 2 cell and Yeh it flew but not with sparkling performance. Mmmmmmm.... 3 cell time. I used a 3 cell 500mah batt first up and it really picked up its game. I now use 3 cell 800mah and get a 10 min flight with a bit to spare in juice.

For its size the combination of the supplied esc /motor and 3 cell Batt, I think it gives it good performance. As for the CG, I used the finger holes underneath the wing and went from there. After trimming during its maiden I find this little park jet a joy to fly. Others on the HK Forums maybe think differently but I suppose " What ever Rocks your Boat "

Here's a couple of pics and some flight video.

Bx

HK EPO Parkjet.wmv (2 min 15 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2010, 02:37 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thanks for the flight report, Boxhead. This plane scoots along fast and smooth.
Nov 28, 2010, 03:49 PM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Hi Rusty, good to hear from you . Are you back flying or just dropping into the forums occasionly. Hope all's well with the family up there in the frozen North.

Bx
Dec 04, 2010, 02:44 AM
Hi Box, been flying mine for a while. I used a slightly different motor and esc on 2's 800mah batteries and it gets along. Haven't been game to try it on a 3's battery. The little engine mount it came with kept comming apart on landing. My motor is mounted a lot lower than the original and it doesn't lift so much under full throttle. Might try mounting the motor the way you did yours. Hard to find little jets that are light enough to fly on 2's batteries. If you come across anything small and light enough please let me know.

Check out the weight and size of this http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14553

Rudolf
Last edited by rudes; Dec 04, 2010 at 03:52 AM.
Dec 04, 2010, 07:32 AM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Hey Rudes, how they hang'in . Well I hope. Mate this EPO parkjet is a good little ship. Got to agree about the original engine mount. Definately not in the ball park. Took mine out yesterday for a fly. On 3 cell handled the wind with ease. Weather here at the moment sucks. Rain/Wind. You get the idea. I'll put up another picy of the engine mounting shortly. Just shows the mount support at the top. The original motor and esc that comes with the EPO Jet can handle 3 cell just fine.

That AT6 is a good looking aircraft. Weight looks good as well. It also has good write ups. Mmmmmmm...... thinking. I've got a HK DR1 Triplane coming my way from Santa. Bet Ya it will be a handful

Bx
Dec 05, 2010, 07:21 PM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Re-did the engine mount . Its the same but stronger ( Luv that Hot glue ). Also changed the prop fitment ( due to the prop letting go with the original prop holder ). bullet proof Now....

Bx
Dec 06, 2010, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the pic's Box. Hate to be annoying but a while ago you sent me a link to where ya buy your 40mm EDF's any chance of it again. With a bit more experience in EDF's I wouldn't mind trying one on this little jet. The weight of this little jet comes in pretty close to try a 40mm on a 3's battery. I turned the servo throws down a bit more today and this little jet is a pleasure to fly.

I use this motor http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5432
This esc http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4204
With a GWS 5 x 4.3 huge flight time.

Rudolf
Dec 06, 2010, 05:53 AM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Rudes, this is where I got my original 40mm EDF but they have no motor.
http://shop.eflypower.com/shop/sort.asp?sort_id=94

HK have them with motor for about $20. https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10574

If your going to EDF the EPO Parkjet watch your weight. Good luck with it.

Bx
Jan 11, 2011, 11:41 AM
mmerry2 on Youtube
Thanks for the review Boxhead! I decided to buy one and it should be here sometime this week. I ordered another motor, ESC and prop with it just in case the stock setup was insufficient. From what you guys are saying, sounds like I will have to redo or reinforce the motor mount also.

Regarding this comment below, with EDFs, don't expect the plane to float as well. EDFs require you keep up your speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxhead View Post
If your going to EDF the EPO Parkjet watch your weight.
-Mike
Last edited by mike_m2; Jan 11, 2011 at 12:48 PM.
Jan 11, 2011, 12:47 PM
mmerry2 on Youtube

Review of HK EPO ParkJet

Flite Test did a nice video review of the jet here. They included a cool upgrade option too, only problem with the motor upgrade they suggest is that it's an inrunner and will probably be harder to mount directly to the back of plane than an outrunner. I ordered the inrunner they suggested (Turnigy HXT2835 2700kV Inrunner), but I wish now I had ordered an outrunner.

-Mike
Jan 11, 2011, 01:05 PM
mmerry2 on Youtube

Upgrade options for HK EPO ParkJet

Here are the upgrade options I'm going to try with the HK EPO ParkJet:

Motor: HXT 2835 (380S) 2700kv Brushless Inrunner $18.31
ESC: H-KING 35A Fixed Wing Brushless Speed Controller $11.95
Extra Props: TGS Sport 4.75x4.75E Precision propeller $1.43 and TGS Sport 5x5E Precision propeller $1.43
Receiver: DSM2 Compatible Parkflyer 2.4Ghz Receiver $7.95

May 12, 2011, 05:21 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Awsome little plane.I changed the servo's to Corona 1.8 kg metal gear,added 1mm carbon rod on the control surfaces to avois flex in high speed turns and hooked her up with a 4.75x4.75 apc prop.chucked the 10A esc and added a 25A.running on 1300mah 3s lipo.lots of fun,but can surely catch you out if you don't pay attention
this is sooooo much fun and the quality isn't bad at all. here's a pic of what she looks like
May 17, 2011, 05:19 PM
RC Man Child!
Hey guys,
Keep this plane in mind. I'm in the process of setting up a competition for this plane with hobbyking. I'd really like to see what people are doing with this platform. Stay tuned on the YouTube channel "hobbykinglive" and our twitter for more details. Expect some serious prizes too!
May 18, 2011, 05:51 AM
so I've got a bunch of 3s 1300 ,and I've been eying this plane. how does it fly with a 1300s? it seems like like it would be a bit heavy.
May 18, 2011, 09:37 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Antihero.I fly mine with 1300mah 3s.and it goes!mine is quicker than most of the edf foam jets at my club.we clocked her at 120km/h..... I'm running with the motor provided and upgraded the esc to 25A.she flies awsome.very stable an lands like a gentel lady glider.she glides really well.look its not a beginners plane at all,but so much fun.my verticle is really good aswell.I bail way before she runs out of legs,but that's only because I cvant see anymorereally I would advise to get one.if u do,do not use the epoxy provided.its yellow an looks crap.I inserted 3mm carbon rod about 1/3 behind the leading edge aswell for some extra strenth in the wings.I also added 1.5mm carbon rods an the controle surfaces to prevent flex during high speed turns.GET YOURSELF one if u do oost it so we can see what it lloks like.I will post some more upclose pics. Of the changes I made

Quick Reply