Nov 20, 2016, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman
Should only need 1/2 throttle on that setup. Sold mine. Liked it but grew out of it.
I may try my 3s 3200 as well to see if it works. Its my first balsa so don't want any surprises when I take it up for the first time.

Subsonic, can I see a few pics of the FPV setup? Great idea with the fiberglass cowling!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2016, 10:19 PM
Build Something
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportquattro97
I may try my 3s 3200 as well to see if it works. Its my first balsa so don't want any surprises when I take it up for the first time.

Subsonic, can I see a few pics of the FPV setup? Great idea with the fiberglass cowling!
Sure!

Photo #1 shows the finished cowling, and the access hatch I made just behind it. I blanked off the footwell with a bulkhead and I needed this hatch to get to the ESC.

Photo #2 shows the three axis camera gimbal. HS1177 camera from memory. You can also see the 1.2 ghz cloverleaf which is hidden behind the pilot. One of the leaves just pokes out the side of the fuselage

Photo #3 is the view of the dash. Real compass in the middle, and a working clock as the far left instrument. I made the clock from a tiny watch I found on ebay. Battery voltage is displayed in the digital meter on the right. You can also see the interior panels I made to hide the plywood structure from the camera. They are just 1/16" balsa covered in monocote.

Subsonic
Nov 20, 2016, 10:22 PM
Build Something
A better view of the dash:
Nov 21, 2016, 06:49 PM
Wow looks great! Ill definitely be doing that once I get more comfortable with the plane. For now I ordered the landing gear from Hangar 9, and going to use a set of 4" wheels i had laying around here. Is there any build threads in the site? I was searching but couldn't come up with any from start to finish. I got my servos in today and am a little confused on how they mount to the wooden blocks, do I just glue the blocks down to the frame in the frame in the wings? Sorry still a balsa noob, Im used to nice little cutouts where you can glue the servos in on foamies.
Nov 21, 2016, 08:00 PM
Build Something
The H9 gear is definitely the go, and I have 4" wheels on mine. I'd go bigger if they were available, but as it is, it takes plenty of abuse

The wooden blocks are glued to the servo cover and the servo mounts to that. Wood glue or Epoxy will do.

Coming from foamies you are going to love how this flies. You don't have to re-trim with every flight and the extra stiffness just helps keeping the shape as it is supposed to be. Can be a nightmare on crashing though...
Nov 21, 2016, 08:47 PM
Yea I figured that out just after posting, the whole time the covers were packaged separately, and I was staring at the empty spots in the wings haha. It occurred to me that the only solid piece is the cover, duh, overthinking it. That does look like a rough hit, I applaud your patience in rebuilding it back to its present condition, this kit is a huge step up from what the foamies take to assemble. Looking forward to it!

Quick Reply