Jan 12, 2013, 08:02 PM
Jesus Freak
did my maiden yesterday. It was my maiden, not the maiden for the plane as I bought it used.

running (2) 2200mah in parallel flew 6 minutes and the batteries were reading 3.93v per cell. so i'm thinking safe 10min flights.

second flight not as good. nosed over and cracked the cowl, would someone please repost the link to the replacement cowl from that other plane
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2013, 08:11 PM
Build Something
Here 'tis!

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=562
Jan 12, 2013, 08:14 PM
Jesus Freak
@subsonic THANKS!
Jan 12, 2013, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross
did my maiden yesterday. It was my maiden, not the maiden for the plane as I bought it used.

running (2) 2200mah in parallel flew 6 minutes and the batteries were reading 3.93v per cell. so i'm thinking safe 10min flights.

second flight not as good. nosed over and cracked the cowl, would someone please repost the link to the replacement cowl from that other plane
Just a thought... How bad is the crack? If its just cracked (no holes or missing pieces), you could prob fix it up and hang on to it for a spare. Mine arrived cracked from NP, so I lined the inside with clear 3m strapping tape to hold it together, then CA'd the cracks and painted the whole cowl with the paint i mentioned in my post above. I also got the parkflyer plastics one, but haven't tried to put it together yet because the stock one looks OK and seems like it'll hold for a while.

Norm
Jan 12, 2013, 08:25 PM
Jesus Freak
wish it was just cracked there are missing pieces
Jan 13, 2013, 01:41 PM
SoFlo Flyer
I made a plug form from the Water Putty using my stock cowl. I greased up the inner cowl with motor oil and made up the water putty to a thick gravy consistency and poured in the whole can, stuck a piece of pipe for a handle in. there was a little flex with the weight of the mixture but it turned out pretty darn nice! I airhosed it and it popped right out with no damage to cowl. Still trying to find the right plastic to heat over to make a new cowl if need. But at least I have a mold.
Jan 13, 2013, 02:21 PM
Just got the floats mounted on mine.

I'm going to have them painted cub yellow to match the plane.
Jan 13, 2013, 02:28 PM
Looks cool! Love to see some video of it in action when the time comes.
Norm
Jan 13, 2013, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyC
Just got the floats mounted on mine.

I'm going to have them painted cub yellow to match the plane.
That's awesome, keep us posted on the progress. I'm very curious to hear how it handled on water and your setup once you've flown it as I want to put my L4 on floats as well.
Jan 14, 2013, 11:41 AM
Prefers radials
Cowl ?

Is it generally recommended to open the 2 what appear to be cooling vents on the stock cowl (under prop clearance hole)? I presume they are for ESC cooling purposes.

If so, are folks creating a fuselage opening to vent air?

Thanks
Jan 14, 2013, 03:56 PM
Cajun-American
Is it generally recommended to open the 2 what appear to be cooling vents on the stock cowl (under prop clearance hole)? I presume they are for ESC cooling purposes.
Yes.

If so, are folks creating a fuselage opening to vent air?
I left one of the windows out of the door hatch.
Jan 14, 2013, 04:13 PM
I'm putting full size servos (Hyperion DS20x-smd) all around on this plane, this includes the flaps. Does anyone have any experience with how big a bec is needed? I have a castle creations 75 esc for this plane, the built in bec is rated at 5amps continuous.
Jan 14, 2013, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimog
I'm putting full size servos (Hyperion DS20x-smd) all around on this plane, this includes the flaps. Does anyone have any experience with how big a bec is needed? I have a castle creations 75 esc for this plane, the built in bec is rated at 5amps continuous.
I think most will recommend a separate BEC on anything over 3s. The Castle Creations 10 amp is very popular and can be found for ~$23 shipped. It's cheap insurance. here's an example... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...item5d38ccedfe

Norm
Last edited by Norm62; Jan 14, 2013 at 04:39 PM.
Jan 14, 2013, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm62
I think most will recommend a separate BEC on anything over 3s. The Castle Creations 10 amp is very popular and can be found for ~$23 shipped. It's cheap insurance. here's an example... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...item5d38ccedfe

Norm
Fair enough, I have a WR Hercules bec that I'll use in this plane then.
Jan 14, 2013, 08:05 PM
Cajun-American
I use separate BEC's in some of my planes but this is better. Plugs directly into the Rx.

Quick Reply