This thread is privately moderated by joseico90, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 24, 2010, 07:23 AM
Lets break some props :D
Thread OP
Discussion

More to follow

For the last year or so I have been heavily into multicopters and FPV, is now time to fly things with wings as well, so in this thread we can talk and share about anything that flies, in this way we leave the multirotor thread for now.
Last edited by joseico90; Oct 02, 2014 at 08:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2014, 08:53 AM
Thread OP

Slinger flying wing

I'm using just the wings from this kit, a Great Planes Slinger.

It glides quite well so I'm sure it will be good on the slopes, I need to fine tune the throws and expo till I'm happy, flying wings like these can be quite tricky to trim initially.

Slinger flying wing tests (0 min 18 sec)
Oct 02, 2014, 04:11 PM
Thread OP
One of these is about to join my collection..(when it arrives in a few days)

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=31184

I really don't have the time and energy to build stuff after work atm, so.. why not.
Last edited by joseico90; Oct 02, 2014 at 04:26 PM.
Oct 02, 2014, 04:44 PM
Thread OP
really enjoyed watching ALL of it

Flite Test - FT Viggen (21 min 26 sec)
Oct 02, 2014, 07:44 PM
A shiny new thread with shiny new models, I see you've been spending the hard earned again, the wing looks like it is going to be fun when you get it set up right.
I am going to have to get something sorted for a workbench so I can get mine sorted and test flown asap.
Oct 03, 2014, 04:57 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggs
A shiny new thread with shiny new models, I see you've been spending the hard earned again, the wing looks like it is going to be fun when you get it set up right.
I am going to have to get something sorted for a workbench so I can get mine sorted and test flown asap.
Time for change indeed

I no longer build at work except for minor things I might do there because of the tools etc. So concentrating in work is paying off in that sense, but... by the time get home after these busy days.., have dinner.. do my physio... etc I have no energy left for building models! I feel too tired and sometime I get frustrated that I don't have a model like I want.. and I don't have a proper workshop at home either..

So, for 50 quid... all I have to do is put my RX and battery and go fly... sounds good to me

I get to earn money working "proper"... and hopefully get to play too
Oct 03, 2014, 08:42 AM
Thread OP
handy centimeter grid paper PDF, just glue onto the wood and cut, great for formers and other modeling uses..
Oct 03, 2014, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseico90
Time for change indeed

I no longer build at work except for minor things I might do there because of the tools etc. So concentrating in work is paying off in that sense, but... by the time get home after these busy days.., have dinner.. do my physio... etc I have no energy left for building models! I feel too tired and sometime I get frustrated that I don't have a model like I want.. and I don't have a proper workshop at home either..

So, for 50 quid... all I have to do is put my RX and battery and go fly... sounds good to me

I get to earn money working "proper"... and hopefully get to play too
I am almost the same way round to that too jose,but I have loads of time and no workshop,well its not quite as simple as that ,(it never is, is it)
I also have a total lack of concentration and motivation most of the time too (damn pain meds for you) and if I do get the motivation to do something then I normally fall asleep.
I have no idea how I ever get anything done

flying is or seems to be easier and cheaper than ever now (in some areas of the hobby) cant complain at 50 for a model thats 99% ready to fly even cheaper in some cases, the Atom cost me 30 I think, but I ended up getting it for nothing in the end as it had a twisted fuselage and I got refunded for it
Foamies have made it quicker and cheaper to get flying quickly, I do like good old balsa though, I think thats because I knew nothing but balsa models when I first started out flying/crashing and fixing them.
I havent had much to do with foam (apart from cutting the odd wing core) I still have a lot to learn about the different types of foams and what to do when building with it, all the glues that will and wont work ect
Oct 04, 2014, 04:45 AM
Thread OP
aaaahh... just bought next years's car insurance..

...compierr the miaarkett dot comm .......... LOL

Got to claim my oleg toy now :P (for my daughters of course)

Now, where were we.. oh yes.. pain killers... life and model planes... time..work..

I like balsa too, when I started in RC that's practically all we used together with the odd veneer or balsa covered foam wings.

Its been raining lots here today

Talking of balsa, Depron is an ideal substitute! In fact I think I should build another Skeeter glider, I had one in the late 90's that was a joy to chuck about (photo in my blog) that should be a fun project. Got the plans printed already.

I do have balsa but its way more messy that Depron. I have loads of 3mm and 6mm Depron and also many thicknesses of EPP sheet.

here we go again... I want to build stuff you see? LOL Perhaps using some EPP and carbon for the fuselage will be a good idea. hmmm this got me thinking.....
Oct 04, 2014, 06:27 AM
Thread OP

time invested..

a big factor on disappointments with our models when have trouble with them is the time we have put into making it, when I crash something like a RTF I don't feel so much pain.. just reach for the glue and tape, HEY! .. this hobby is about fun!

This HK corsair is an example.. it suffered a couple of MAJOR crashes, we just glued and taped all the bits together and went flying again..its a lot of FUN this one. I think it was about 40-50 quid too, still have the two of them, one still brand new in the box.

Hobbyking 800mm Corsair (3 min 5 sec)

Flying the Hobbyking 800mm Corsair (3 min 53 sec)
Last edited by joseico90; Oct 04, 2014 at 06:34 AM.
Oct 04, 2014, 09:12 AM
Thread OP

Mini - Micro? Glider

I've playing with corrugated plastic sheet and a 3mm OD carbon tube

This basic frame could make a nice RC chuck glider
Oct 04, 2014, 11:49 AM
looks like you are having fun again jose, that brain of yours must be working overtime all those ideas for building new things
I know what you mean with rtf models when you crash them a bit of glue and tape and away you go, if you have spent months (years in my dads gliders case) building something and you ding it you feel awful and there is no way a bit of tape will do to fix it, it takes some of the fun out of flying.
I dont have any of these worries though as I just dont get out to fly anything at the moment I deffo need to push myself to get out and go flying when the weather is better, rain,rain and more rain with almost galeforce winds at present not exactly the best conditions
Oct 04, 2014, 12:43 PM
Thread OP
once I get fired up with an idea... (and if I only finish them!)

I got home and drew-printed some feathers for this bird
Oct 04, 2014, 03:58 PM
Thread OP
just been having another look to my Bixler2 kit and I admit its pretty well designed and made, good value for what you get. I thing I might do a build-flight review on it.

I have chosen a good motor from my "stock" collection, so power won't be an issue, also the ESC has been chosen, a 20A unit. Being the kit version allows me to choose quality gear to go on it, servos will be good Hi-tec ones too. I will also fit servos for the flaps which is a very nice feature, they come with nice hinges, I like that.

Next week I intend to get the motor+mount+prop adapter+ecs sorted to then be installed.
Oct 04, 2014, 04:22 PM
Thread OP
this is what we need Stu!

Red Goat Soaring at Torrey Pines (2 min 49 sec)

Quick Reply