Nov 21, 2010, 06:42 PM
Careful!

Can you spot the lipo?

Last week, epwierman and I set out to terrorzie some locals. This shot was captured then... see if you can spot the lipo....

to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2010, 06:54 PM
How did that happen? Is there a story we should know about
Nov 21, 2010, 06:57 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
Falling from the sky?
Nov 21, 2010, 09:04 PM
Angry birds... Minimal glitch whilst on the table, you'll notice the wing is suspended in midair, and the lipo went flying as the prop flugelhorn the fuselage around, only thing missing from the shot is the blade flying through the air!
Nov 21, 2010, 10:54 PM
I hate it when that happens Minimal glitch Seems like Eric got lucky that the battery flew out and the beating stopped
Nov 22, 2010, 08:22 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
So what happened.

Please cut to the chase.

Joe
Nov 22, 2010, 09:51 AM
Retired US Navy
Holding the fuse gently without a firm grasp and a glitch caused the wotor to start spinning the fuse in his hand tossing the battery out of the plane is my guess... Torque was not his freind.
Nov 22, 2010, 11:25 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
Eric looks remarkably calm despite the fact his plane is doing the alligator roll. Must be all those years of flight emergency training.
Nov 22, 2010, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy
Eric looks remarkably calm despite the fact his plane is doing the alligator roll. Must be all those years of flight emergency training.
I was thinking the same thing, nerves of steel. I really like the Chris Angel lipo trick. Fascinating shot.
Nov 22, 2010, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmouris
So what happened.

Please cut to the chase.

Joe
It was a glitch, he had a servo acting up, and we think it caused the esc to burst... that or my shutter was on the same channel as his throttle
Nov 22, 2010, 12:43 PM
sloping addict
Question now is why the glitch? Was the Rx connected ? Was the TX connected ?
Is it 2.4 GHz system ? Did someone touch the throttle ?

If all of that was connected and OK then that is a real problem, I did not think a glitch was possible in a properly switched on 2.4 system (unless like for any wave band system, a very powerful signal -that can be in any frequency- just saturates the receiver input stage such that it becomes deaf to any smaller signal)...
Nov 22, 2010, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protocooler
Question now is why the glitch? Was the Rx connected ? Was the TX connected ?
Is it 2.4 GHz system ? Did someone touch the throttle ?

If all of that was connected and OK then that is a real problem, I did not think a glitch was possible in a properly switched on 2.4 system (unless like for any wave band system, a very powerful signal -that can be in any frequency- just saturates the receiver input stage such that it becomes deaf to any smaller signal)...
No. I have yet to meet anyone who is as careful and procedural as Eric when it comes to setup (see that fanny-pack? It houses emergency tools in the event of an emergency landing (in case I was flying)). This was caused by a glitching servo which would not stop glitching. It inevitable sent enough of a signal through to the rx to cause an esc burst. This was a 2.4g system.
Nov 22, 2010, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by la528it
This was caused by a glitching servo which would not stop glitching. It inevitable sent enough of a signal through to the rx to cause an esc burst. This was a 2.4g system.
I don't pretend to be an electronic whizz but I can't imagine any circumstances where a glitching servo can mess up an Rx or an ESC.

If there's glitching going on due to ... then I wouldn't be surprised it it occurred on more than one channel that could start the motor.

Can you explain more?
Nov 22, 2010, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSawers
I don't pretend to be an electronic whizz but I can't imagine any circumstances where a glitching servo can mess up an Rx or an ESC.

If there's glitching going on due to ... then I wouldn't be surprised it it occurred on more than one channel that could start the motor.

Can you explain more?
Try it: connect two servos to an rx, and open one of them up. Take the signal lead from the opened servo, and start poking it around the circuit board of the opened servo... if you try hard enough, surely, you will cause the other servo to move. Servos have signal amplifiers, pots, and esc's all of which can go haywire... no reason to believe that they cannot cause other servos/circuits plugged into the same receiver to act up.
Nov 22, 2010, 02:16 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Nice analasys of what happened but forgive me for being sceptical also of your conclusion.

Nice picture tho!

P.s. sorry for Eric.

Quick Reply