Nov 20, 2010, 06:13 AM
Aircraft Development Hobbyking
Thread OP
Discussion

HK AT-6 Texan EPO Plug-n-Fly 29.5" w/s

Just stumbled upon this on the HK website, has anybody got any experience with it? For $59 it seems like an ideal stocking filler for myself, and the outline looks really quite scale and this could be the ideal 'travel' warbird for me.

Any thoughts/experiences?

LINK:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14553
Latest blog entry: My Channel
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2010, 05:48 PM
Thread OP
Anyone?

S.
Dec 07, 2010, 07:25 PM
Hi

I have one here...ordered it last time I needed lipos and motors...

It's a very nice plane. I have not had the chance to fly it yet since I am waiting for better weather. The paint rubs off very easily! Since I was bored I modified it a bit. I added carbon rods into the wing, put hinge tape on the all rudders and I out packing tape to the wing's leading edge. Than I sprayed the plane with two coats of "Future" and finally with a coat of flat varnish. I added about 10g of weight with this. Now the paint does not rub off and more and the plane feels very nicely. A flight report will follow once the weather permits it. A first flight video is here...

HobbyKing AT-6 Brushless EPO (4 min 6 sec)

cheers
Uwe
Last edited by anj4de; Dec 07, 2010 at 07:32 PM.
Dec 07, 2010, 08:08 PM
Thread OP
Is this your video? I thought I saw this a few weeks back on youtube. But yes, would be interested in hearing more, thanks for posting? How long did it take to arrive BTW?

S.
Dec 08, 2010, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart warne
Is this your video? I thought I saw this a few weeks back on youtube. But yes, would be interested in hearing more, thanks for posting? How long did it take to arrive BTW?

S.

No. it's not mine. I just thought it might fit here since there was very little info in this thread so far. Still waiting for better weather to maiden mine...

cheers
Uwe
Dec 08, 2010, 03:13 AM
This T-6 looks really nice,and looks to fly very well.They just need to increase the size to around 55 inches or so.
Dec 10, 2010, 08:58 AM
...had the maiden flight with mine yesterday! Be aware that a 2S1000 20C Tunigy Lipo is not enough weight to level this plane. I put the Öipo all the way into the battery compartment and added 3x2EUR Coins (didn't have anything else) and the plane was still tail heavy. I ended up riding a wild bronco...brought her down in one piece and now will work on the CG...

cheers
Uwe
Mar 29, 2011, 05:07 AM
Thread OP
anj4de, Any progress on yours?

S.
Jun 10, 2011, 12:42 PM
Mine had its 1st two flights today...
AWESOME little plane and the price is AWESOME !!!
I tried 2 different packs with mine...
A 3s 1000mah and a 3s 1300mah...
It definitely flies better with the 1300..
Just be aware that you need to dig the battery compartment foam out to get it to fit...
After that the CG, flight time and performance are AMAZING !!!
Jun 10, 2011, 01:16 PM
Thread OP
glad to hear this model is getting some air time. I'm surprised we haven't heard more about it. What was your current draw with the 3s lipo, and did you have to change the prop?

S.
Jun 12, 2011, 02:29 AM
Foam is where the heart is
I never had any luck with it and found it to be a bit of a dog.
I know my skills aren't that great but at the same time I bought an Airfield mini P47 and found it much much nicer to fly.

I was about to throw the Texan in the bin but I thought I'd give it one more chance. After a bit of research I began to figure out what the problems were and decided to make a few mods, and do a bit of hotrodding.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=325333
Now it is my favourite plane to fly and leaves the P47 for dead in terms of speed, handling, and ease of flying.
Jun 13, 2011, 09:33 AM
LapTrax for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by iljester1
Mine had its 1st two flights today...
AWESOME little plane and the price is AWESOME !!!
I tried 2 different packs with mine...
A 3s 1000mah and a 3s 1300mah...
It definitely flies better with the 1300..
Was that with the stock esc + motor + prop?

Someone mentions on the order page that you should use a smaller prop if using a 3S batt, anyone else have experience or advice about whats needed to use 3S batteries? My AT-6 is on its way here, along with 7x3.5 & 7x4 props.
Jun 14, 2011, 02:47 AM
Foam is where the heart is
Stock esc is 10A. Motor is 1400kv 7.4V. Prop looks to be a 7x6.
I used 1000mA/3s and current was a little more than 10A so I replaced it with a 20A. You need the extra nose weight anyway.

I used the stock props until they broke and fitted an APC 7x6 with a 2.3mm prop saver drilled out to 2.5mm.

On 2s the plane was bit slow and difficult to hand launch. 3s was much better.
Motor seemed to handle the extra voltage ok and never got too hot.
Though I wouldn't keep it at WOT just in case.

I was talking to a guy the other week who was given one after the owner had given up trying to get it fly.
He told me that setting the ailerons for maximum throws with plenty of expo made it much more controllable. Also dial down the elevator as it stalls out of loops real easy. Mine use to.
He also told me that replacing the servos with HXT500s made a big difference as well. I must admit, the original servos are very sloppy.

Nice looking little plane but not the best choice for an inexperienced flyer.

Quick Reply